Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which 16340 batteries are strongest?

Also, (not to hijack this thread) but is there any meaningful difference between 3.0V, 3.2V, or 3.7V? The 3rd one, when used with 2 batteries, increases the total voltage by 1.4V. Couldn't that harm a laser?

Am not sure this was adequately answered. Yes there is a big difference between them. Always use the correct battery, and never use 2 batteries in a laser that is supposed to take only one, at least several people here when they were new and didn't know any better have killed a laser by using two 16340 instead of one 18650. Every laser has a driver that works within a certain voltage range, most lasers run on 1 or 2 of the 3.7V rechargeables, I have only seen one or two that use the 3V.

I'm new here, do I don't know a ton about batteries. I see a few people that seem to like Efest 16340s, but other people shoot them down. How do they compare to brands like AW, Panasonic, or Fenix?

I believe they are mid range battery and members seem to favor the smaller 10440 ones. It could be also because efest are the only brand they can find at that size.

Yes Efest are a mid range battery, if you want cheaper batteries buy Efest instead of the blue or fire batteries they are ok. The 10440 are available in other brands including Trustfire and Soshine and I think something else, but Efest has a high drain IMR10440 that can put out 3A (for a few minutes) so it's possible to power quite a powerful laser with such a small battery. Those Li-Mn batteries can handle more current than the Li-Ion can but they have a lower capacity in mAh than Li-Ion, some of the Li-Ion don't hold up well at a high current.

Alan

Am not sure this was adequately answered. Yes there is a big difference between them. Always use the correct battery, and never use 2 batteries in a laser that is supposed to take only one, at least several people here when they were new and didn't know any better have killed a laser by using two 16340 instead of one 18650. Every laser has a driver that works within a certain voltage range, most lasers run on 1 or 2 of the 3.7V rechargeables, I have only seen one or two that use the 3V.

Thank you! I still don't know which voltage the laser I was thinking of getting requires. It's supposed to take 2 batteries of the 16340 type, but I don't know which voltage.

GSS

Thank you! I still don't know which voltage the laser I was thinking of getting requires. It's supposed to take 2 batteries of the 16340 type, but I don't know which voltage.
Each 16340 are 3.7v but can charge to 4.2v

If it takes two 16340 then they will be the 3.7V, is this by any chance a blue laser? How about you post a link to the one your thinking of buying and someone can probably tell you more about it.

Alan

Pman

If it's a 3V battery then make sure it is actually rechargeable and if it is it will charge to about 3.7V.
In general we don't use protected batteries with lasers.
I think people are making this difficult when it isnt. As Pi said there are very few lasers that require the lower voltage cells so don't worry about it. If a rechargeable says 3.6 or 3.7V it charges to 4.2V.
Please post the laser you are buying and we can tell you what you need otherwise it's question after question when the answer is simple. Help us help you;)

If it's a 3V battery then make sure it is actually rechargeable and if it is it will charge to about 3.7V.
In general we don't use protected batteries with lasers.
I think people are making this difficult when it isnt. As Pi said there are very few lasers that require the lower voltage cells so don't worry about it. If a rechargeable says 3.6 or 3.7V it charges to 4.2V.
Please post the laser you are buying and we can tell you what you need otherwise it's question after question when the answer is simple. Help us help you;)

What about the OLight brand one on this page of batteryjunction? BTW, all of the batteries listed there are protected. Is that ok if used in a laser? RCR123A Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Batteries (16340)

Protected batteries, from known brands, and coming from decent sources (like battery junction) are fine. The only issue you may run into using protected batteries is that they are somewhat longer due to the protection circuit. Generally not an issue, but could be problematic. For example some laserbtb lasers won't fit keeppower 16340 batteries.

Another good source for batteries: Mountain Electronics

The guy who owns it, is not really into lasers, but he is very much into flashlight, a hobbyist, and will not sell junk. IIRC code BLF gives a small discount.

Last edited:
Protected batteries, from known brands, and coming from decent sources (like battery junction) are fine. The only issue you may run into using protected batteries is that they are somewhat longer due to the protection circuit. Generally not an issue, but could be problematic. For example some laserbtb lasers won't fit keeppower 16340 batteries.

Another good source for batteries: Mountain Electronics

The guy who owns it, is not really into lasers, but he is very much into flashlight, a hobbyist, and will not sell junk. IIRC code BLF gives a small discount.

Hey! Thanks for the reference to mtnelectronics! I looked at the items there I wanted and found I could get the charger (XTAR MC1) for a dollar less than Batteryjunction. Plus, he appears to have free shipping with insurance up to $50, which beats the $3.50 charged by Batteryjunction. So now I'd save $4. I didn't see where I could add the code BLF. I clicked on Checkout and still didn't see it. But if I checkout for real, then I guess I'd save a few pennies more.

EDIT: Never mind, I found the place for the code. It saves me another 23 cents. YES!!!!

Last edited:
MTN Electronics: LEDs - Batteries - Lights - Chargers - Hosts - Drivers - Components - 1-Stop-US Source | BudgetLightForum.com

He does charge for shipping, but whatever is actually the shipping rate. You should be able to add the code BLF at checkout, in the payments section, add coupon, or something like that.

I usually end up ordering either from there or illumnation supply myself. Can't go wrong with either company, both are hobbyist owned and run, and it shows.

I found where to enter the code (see my edit at bottom of last post). I still don't see where he charges for shipping. Here's a sloppy copy/paste of my shopping cart. I underlined that part about the shipping:

Efest 16340 V2 IMR 700mAh - Button Top
x 2 $7.80 Remove
XTAR MC1 Charger - 14500 - 16340 -18350 - 18500 - 18650 - 26650 XTAR MC1 Charger - 14500 - 16340 -18350 - 18500 - 18650 - 26650
x 1 $4.90 Remove
Sub-Total: $12.70
Shipping Insurance - Priority Mail Box: $0.00
Coupon (BLF) <?php echo $button_remove; ?>: $-0.23
Total: $12.47

Odd. I'm pretty sure you will be forced to confirm a shipping charge at some point though. If not, idk how he'd be able to fill the order without loss.

Go for it... he anything he'll get in touch with you.

Odd. I'm pretty sure you will be forced to confirm a shipping charge at some point though. If not, idk how he'd be able to fill the order without loss.

Go for it... he anything he'll get in touch with you.

I went ahead and made an order a couple minutes ago. They sure didn't make it easy to find out what the shipping cost is. Up front, they only say insurance is free up to $50. Then I get deep into the order before they give me options--only 2, and they both cost. I pick the cheaper one, and then get to the end where I'm shown the shipping cost included in my charges, and a statement off to the side saying shipping is free. Yet I still get charged! Then I went back and selected the "free" insurance, and then got to the end of the order and found a charge for that too!

I guess free isn't free after all.

I sure wouldn't mind just walking into a physical store and buying these items, but nobody around here in a town of 65,000 people sells them. Even the BatteriesPlus store charges an arm and a leg for the 16340 batteries and has no chargers that are reasonable. Their website only shows they have one model.

Last edited: