Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where to get a cheap burning laser

I've got a project where I'd have to pop balloons at a distance of say 10+ feet. I picked up this "200mw" green laser, and while it's good fun and everything, it can only pop balloons while focused at a relatively close distance. I'm thinking a 500mw might be more what I'm after - preferably green. Any tips on where to come up with one relatively quickly and cheaply would be appreciated.

ARG

500mW, cheap, quick and green don't go well together.

If you're trying to pop balloons at 3 meters holding the laser stable enough may be more of the problem than the power.

500mw of green = over $300 dollars. I am assuming you are not old enough to afford that.

We kind of have a sixth sense to when kids are posting on the forum... Then again, i could be wrong.
We have posts much worse :)

You can check here: goldenstarlaser.com but the lasers there are not portable. Your next option is the 300mw HL532 from laserbtb. They usually output over 400mw and only cost $180

:beer:
-Matt

Last edited:
Yes what ARG says is right, get a tripod something like this: Clamp Mount & Tripod however I am skeptical about a 200mw green popping balloons at 10 feet+, maybe black balloons only. I have a powerful 445nm blue that can leave scorch marks on things at 10 feet if its on a tripod and pointed at the same spot for a few seconds, if you can spend about $300 then get something like that about 3w+ and you can pop all the balloons you want.

for popping at that distance you might be better off with a 405nm laser. even at lower powers than a 445 it will be better for distance burning as the beam specs are tighter, and you will get a 500mW 405 for less cash than a 532 of similar power.

This video shows quite well how 405's do over distance:

There was a video comparing 445 and 405 directly but I'm having real trouble finding it. If I do, I'll edit this and pop it here. I'd make one myself, but my 405nm laser is not focusable.

Last edited:
Ignoring the couple doom sayers, you guys have given me some interesting ideas.

I could work with the blue laser idea - perhaps building my own from a blu-ray burner diode. I've seen that done several times with good results, and it actually might match my project fairly well as I can customize the location and circuitry of the electronics to the project, then stick it in a flashlight host later on.

Are Blu Ray diodes fairly universal, or do they have specific mw ratings depending on the one you get? I know the real power rating comes from the driver, but I don't want to burn out a diode or anything. I presume the diode needs to be specifically a blu ray burner, not just a blu ray diode.

After a bit of a search, I found this blog, where a guy used a DVD burner and some electrical components to wire up and laser. It's not blu ray and I didn't see much on the mw rating expected from this setup, but if it's significantly cheaper to build the driver myself with a blu ray diode, I'm all for it. I'm no stranger to electrical wiring and soldering.

Last edited: