Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where to buy power meter

Book

I am thinking that I need to get a power meter in order to be able to test the output of my lasers. Do you know where I could get one that:

Measures just power, of any wavelength.
Is (prefferably) compact.
Does't cost too much!

I was thinking about coherent laser check, but I had some trouble with ordering it, got lost in the links, maybe I'll retry, but I though it would be a good chance to ask if it's any good, or if you can point me to a better one. Too bad DX doesn't ship any.

I don't really see the point of having a portable LPM unless you want to check your laser's power under different conditions.

There's that, but portability is also beneficial for another reason. I'd rather move a 1 oz. meter than move a 60 pound argon head to aim the beam at the sensor.

Isn't a 60 pound argon laser likely to exceed the maximum measurement range of the lasercheck?

*goes to coherent site and looks at price of a lasercheck*

:eek:

Wow.... Is there one I can get for like 50 bucks? I don't have a wallet that big. :'(

VW

I just bought a thermal meter off daguin... :D

Petrovski said:
Isn't a 60 pound argon laser likely to exceed the maximum measurement range of the lasercheck?

his large argon would go above the max for the lasercheck but not the smaller one, laserchecks max at 1 watt

daguin

Event Horizon said:
*goes to coherent site and looks at price of a lasercheck*

:eek:

Wow.... Is there one I can get for like 50 bucks? I don't have a wallet that big. :'(

IMNSHO Unless you can spend much time on eBay AND have the patience of Job, all you're gonna get for $50 is a smile on the face of the person that ripped you off.

Peace,
dave

Kenom

I will second daguin. is that meter you bought off daguin the one I'm presently modifying?

daguin

Kenom said:
I will second daguin. is that meter you bought off daguin the one I'm presently modifying?

No. I don't sell what I don't have ;) He bought my Scientech 362.

Hey! Do you know anybody with a Scientech 36-0401 calorimeter? I have a 374 on it's way, but my second calorimeter (38-1UV5) isn't going to work out with it. You want to test some deep UV lasers (190nm-360nm)? I can help :D

I wonder if a 36-0001 could be calibrated to/with it?

Peace,
dave

Petrovski said:

Yes, but a simple diffraction grating and ratio calculations will yield a relatively accurate result:

A[sub]1[/sub] A[sub]2[/sub]
__ = __

B[sub]1[/sub] B[sub]2[/sub]

A[sub]1[/sub] = beam before diffraction grating at low power
B[sub]1[/sub] = One leg of diffraction spray after grating at low power
A[sub]2[/sub] = beam before diffraction grating at high power
B[sub]2[/sub] = One leg of diffraction spray after grating at high power

Fill in A[sub]1[/sub], B[sub]1[/sub], B[sub]2[/sub] (will all yield a result <1W), and solve for A[sub]2[/sub].

It would be nice to also have a thermal-based sensor as well though.

Thanks. It doesn't even need to be a diffraction grating, it can be anything that will remove a portion of the beam be it glass, beam splitter, or safety glasses. Also, checking the power before and after a lens or safety goggles will give the visual transmission.

Zom-B

That formula works only when a) the optical setup is not altered between measurements and b) the laser is variable and not battery powered.