Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where did i mess up?

So i just checked out this driver i installed. Its a round driver set at 500mA and im using it for a 445nm c6 build. When i tested to see if it worked nothing happen. Then i noticed the pill got really hot. Did i solder the hot too close to something? Is my driver a gonner?

Blord

Check if the driver isn't short-circuiting against the pill. Get the drive out and measure it again with a testload.

If you do what blord suggested and it is still alive, try wrapping the driver in electrical tape on the side that makes contact with the pill's sides near potential shorts. Also, if you can, I would suggest maybe some slight (very slight) heat sinking if it isn't too much trouble. At 500mA I don't really see a need for it, but if you accidentally short it again, it may heat up and kill your driver before you realize what's happened.

wow, looks like i need a new driver. No way to tell but by how hot it was im sure its fried. I noticed somehow when inserting the driver i clipped the + wire, it was snug up against the pill. Here is a pic. Its on the lower left at the base of black wire.
2yydoqf.jpg

Ill try that now

Last edited:
I don't know, I've F'ed with a fair amount of drivers (spending my free time testing and RE-testing them while waiting for my first diode to come in) and the linear buggers can take some heat. You might still have a functioning driver. I'd still suggest testing it and heat sinking in case it happens again. Just my two cents. :beer:

Just tried, it worked for about 1 second then died. This sucks, guess its bound to happen some time though :(

Aw don't worry dude. Looks like your driver could very well have short circuited when the positive made contact with the pill.

Ensure that the positive wire & capacitors are as far away as possible from the brass ring.

Better luck next time bud, failures lead to better creations :)

Things

Just tried, it worked for about 1 second then died. This sucks, guess its bound to happen some time though :(

Typical failure mode for a driver unfortunately. I've had many drivers that will give a high power for a split second after turning on, them dimming right down to almost nothing.

The upside is your diode should still be OK - more expensive that a driver :)