Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WHEN WERE YOU BORN!?!?

Wow I cant believe so many people here are so young! That really is amazing... it gives me a slight glimmer of hope for the future ;D

Anyway, I thought I was going to be one of the younger ones! I was born in 1985 on dec. 6th, which makes me 22 :cool:

GooeyGus said:
Wow I cant believe so many people here are so young! That really is amazing... it gives me a slight glimmer of hope for the future ;D

Anyway, I thought I was going to be one of the younger ones! I was born in 1985 on dec. 6th, which makes me 22 :cool:

yea, I don think you are counted as a "young one" ...

good luck with your glimmer of hope! ;D

amk

daguin

john_lawson said:
1968 HERE 40 years old Nooooooooo man I feel 40 to whatever that means?

I remember 40 . . . .vaguely ;)

1954 (before color TV's or remote controls) :p

Peace,
dave

it seems like its getting harder and harder to get up at 4 am lately to go tol work lol :p

daguin

john_lawson said:
it seems like its getting harder and harder to get up at 4 am lately to go tol work lol :p

I still remember when 4:00AM was bedtime :eek:

Peace,
dave

At least 4:00 AM isn't the time to get up and change the "Depends" yet, my fellow wise elders... [smiley=lolk.gif]

Stay young at heart until the parts start to give up! (he says, somewhat sheepishly, with his arm in a cast from a roller-blading fall...) [smiley=tongue.gif]

Cheers, [smiley=beer.gif] CC (1958)

daguin

amkdeath said:
psh...

I remember... um.... centrino processors!!!

I had an 8088 at work (an 8 bit BUS screaming at a blindingly fast 5MHz, Baby! and why in the heck would anybody even need more than 640KB of RAM anyway?)

and a Commodore 64 at home (Just plug in the "file cabinet" cartridge and away we go!)

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=amkdeath link=1196136920/120#124 date=1210214776]psh...

I remember... um.... centrino processors!!!

I had an 8088 at work (an 8 bit BUS screaming at a blindingly fast 5MHz, Baby! and why in the heck would anybody even need more than 640KB of RAM anyway?)

and a Commodore 64 at home (Just plug in the "file cabinet" cartridge and away we go!)

Peace,
dave[/quote]

Double psh!

I started with an abacus! :D Then a wee computer called a Sinclair XL with a whopping 1Kb of RAM (and a wonderful version of BASIC if I remember correctly), then a Commodore PET with a buggy cassette data storage drives, then an Atari 520 ST, then an Atari MEGA ST with a HUGE 10Mb Hard Drive the size of a pizza box, then (finally) an Apple Mac IIfx, then Quadra 950, then Mac G3, G4, G5, Powerbook, iMac, Mac Pro. (Phew!) And that was just at home...

At school we programmed an IBM360 the size of a large room in Fortran, by marking punchcards, with lead pencils no less... Then the beginnings of C, although I always preferred to write in BASIC. I can remember my first 300baud modem and the thrill of being part of CompuServe back when the precursor of html, Hypertext, was yet to realize it's full potential. I can remember doing graphics on the PET where the pixels were the size of my pinkie fingernail, programming biorhythm charting software, before anyone had even thought to let anyone other than accountants and scientists use computers. It's been a constant learning process and it never stops, because if you don't keep up you're out of a job in 5 years... I don't envy you youngsters... thanks to Moore's law you'll see 10 times the change in your lifetimes as I've seen in mine. Keeping your skills up to date will be a lifetime burden if you want to stay employed and relevant. You will live in interesting times...

Good Luck to y'all! ;)

daguin

Curiously_Coherent said:
Double psh!
I started with an abacus! :D

You were lucky!

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you. (Monty Python)

Peace,
dave

P.S. My Daddy always told me that the first liar doesn't have a chance. ;)

BOB SAGET

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0GgJ8Q2VNs[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZg7vwswnEE[/media]

daguin said:
[quote author=Curiously_Coherent link=1196136920/120#126 date=1210218492]
Double psh!
I started with an abacus! :D

You were lucky!

drink a cup of sulphuric acid,
[/quote]

I doubt that... although I have formed a strikingly saddening addiction to NH4OH these days