Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's your Dream LASER Diode - IF it were affordable? *Grand Purchase Plan*

Of those listed - What's your Dream Laser Diode - if it was affordable?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The pricing stated in my previous post is the diode Grix wanted.
THOSE are discontinued, and are considered "rare", and higher priced.
If there are lower priced ones out there, Grix can look ...
I'm not going on any wild goose chase again, knowing this part is discontinued.

I did find a 600mW TO5 (9mm) 635nm and the company also has the FAC lens for it too!
so beams are not too much of a problem any longer,
same for C-mounts and TO3

FAC Lenses are available from this one manufacturer, for all their diodes.

The 635nm diodes will be costly, but I'm working on getting the best pricing possible,
for splitting the order among several manufacturers.

Grix's was from a distributor, that's why the pricy price. :)

I just ordered two O-like "blank" modules (housings) for 9mm, we'll see what's what,
but, Chinese New Years, until Feb 7th or 12th to send it out...
and 20 to 30 days to come here, by way of china post.

The ones I mentioned, and pictured in an earlier post, came in but was for 5.6mm
This wasn't what the web showed, so, this manufacturer is also off my list.
I may have some special ones designed, I have to see, I have some ideas to try.

great, GreenBeam. I think to5 (9mm, O-like sells modules for these diodes.. look further) would be more appealing if it is more power/price, something like $160 per diode @ 1 pcs, and cheaper @ 100 pcs.

>>BUT<<
O-like don't have a module specialized for fast axiz correction lenses. that is hard to find and IF some member like jayrob / pyro would be machining them, they would cost a lot: the total laser cost could be $400: for 300mW of 'red'. Some people could find it not that appealing. :(

I would like to see his beam after full collimation :p if some beam is visible
do you mean the one for Grix?

Last edited:

600mW TO5 (9mm)
pricing?

that's one of the ones I'm waiting for a quote on.

there's also that direct color diode company and
their blue and green direct color diodes.

Things could get interesting here at laserPointerForums.com
with some NEW toys to start playing with.

hmmm.. Direct green diode? They are very expensive I think, and requires fast axiz correction too.. lets wait more and see what happens ;)

is your diodes supplier photonic-products? Diodes vary and this thread is 2 years old: things have changed since then (1w 445 :D)

gotta sleep, bb

is your diodes supplier photonic-products? Diodes vary and this thread is 2 years old: things have changed since then (1w 445 :D)

gotta sleep, bb

I'm not talking about pricing, I'm saying "Switch" said it's a bad choice for a diode, because the "rounded" beam will shift due to the TE mode oscillation not keeping it "round"

His post saying it is below...
http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/hl6385dg-36516.html#post351471

Plus, it's just 642nm, not closer to 635nm, and will actually look like 650nm when used

Thats why I said this thread is 2 years old: diodes have improved man. Neither I am talking pricing :confused:

he may be wrong too. ask your manufacturer. 642nm is 642nm, not real close to 660nm. THAT small bit makes a difference.

Thats why I said this thread is 2 years old: diodes have improved man. Neither I am talking pricing :confused:

he may be wrong too. ask your manufacturer. 642nm is 642nm, not real close to 660nm. THAT small bit makes a difference.

The member "Switch" was saying it's closer to 650nm , not 660nm

is your diodes supplier photonic-products?
NO, it's not.

also, you confused me too, when you mentioned "...the thread is two years old and diodes change ..."
I was talking about this part# only, ... it doesn't matter how old the thread is ...
OK, I understand, diodes change, but this one is from 2007 and hasn't been changed since then...
anyway, I can get them, or he can wait for the group buy from the other site,
either way, this distributor is just giving 10 days to make up his mind and it will
take near 30 days to get it in, after ordering them.

I found a 500mW 635nm C-mount with FAC lens combo that gives a small beam divergence of 3.5 / 1 degree

maybe that's not as round as Grix's 4 year old diode ... well :horse: :)

anyway, - i'm not trying to "push" any diode over any other, and I'm learning
what's better and why, and since as you say, diodes changed, it's better to
see what's new, rather than what's outdated, even if the beam is "round",
unless you really have a specific use for it.

Grix didn't say what he's needing the round beam for.
I'd still like to know some real uses for such a "round" beam... for a hobbiest
over doing it with a FAC lens and then the collimator, or getting a square beam and
using a ball lens, and or fiber, to pin-point it into focus... besides it being "easier" to shape.

the newer ones may have a similar, if not better, or exact same beam, and have more
power output, be more centered to the frequency (nm), and still be in production
for replacements, or other applications... later on down the road.

this can't be the only "round" beam diode? .. is it?

if so, maybe we all should get one, or two.

I'd really like to know, I'm not trying to "put anyone down" for having an opinion.

anyway, for those who want more from their hobby,
Here are some pictures of package-types,
and basic measurements of a C-mount diode,
with side-by-side size difference from 9mm and 5.6mm.

Here's a soon to be needed currency calculator site for
Euro to US$ ... etc.. for anyone wondering how much is that, ... in ...?
http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

Attachments

• C_mount.jpg
    C_mount.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 355
  • TO3.jpg
    TO3.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 791
  • 9mm.jpg
    9mm.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 349
  • Basic C-mount Measurements.JPG
    Basic C-mount Measurements.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 959
  • 9mm vs 5,6mm size difference.jpg
    9mm vs 5,6mm size difference.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,660
Last edited:

Grix

I was just trying to help, I honestly thought, and still think that single mode diodes are the best choice. But I was expecting at least a better price than DrLava already got on his GB.

If you don't appreciate my advice, then just don't follow it. I'm not the boss here.

And no, I won't be buying the diode at that price, sorry. If you can get a much lower price with the original manufacturer then sure, go for that.

As for that old thread: People in that thread didn't know anything about the diode, they just assumed. That guy saying "642nm is the same as 658nm" clearly has no idea.

Last edited:
I was just trying to help, I honestly thought, and still think that single mode diodes are the best choice. But I was expecting at least a better price than DrLava already got on his GB.
The diode you wanted, is a multi-mode part (multi-quantum well).
please let me know where you see it mention SINGLE-MODE,
even on the other part# HL63133DG , you originally wanted.
(original post shown > HERE )...
at least this other one was from 2009 and closer to 635nm .
If you don't appreciate my advice, then just don't follow it. I'm not the boss here.
but I do appreciate advice, and the customer is the "boss" here... and the group buy is still active there... I'm not trying to compete with Dave.
seems though, it's been going on for almost three months now.
I didn't see your name on that list of potential buyers either. :thinking:
And no, I won't be buying the diode at that price, sorry. If you can get a much lower price with the original manufacturer then sure, go for that.
I didn't expect you to purchase it at the higher price, and it IS lower but not by much, in 100 quantity, more in 1000 quantity, but again, not by much,
... I'm not going to buy 100, let alone 1000 if only 3 or 10 people want it.
This was what this distributors pricing was on 10, still not meeting their minimum purchase amount. (i listed it as 10 to 99 because i won't purchase 100 until I see at least 90 people wanted it)

The original manufacturer isn't selling it, distributors are, and that's why it's so expensive. If the manufacturer was selling directly to me, as a distributor for them, it would be much lower than Dr.Lava's price.
BUT I'd have to make purchases in 1000 quantity or more.
That option is lost, because Hitachi already has their distributorships assigned, and doesn't need anymore.
As for that old thread: People in that thread didn't know anything about the diode, they just assumed. That guy saying "642nm is the same as 658nm" clearly has no idea.
While it's true "Switch" may not fully know the diode, it's not really 635nm, and is close to the wavelength 650nm, between 635 and 650nm, so, in my opinion it's not "centered" on the wavelength we're paying for, 635nm

Don't take all this the wrong way Grix, I was just teasing you, it's not fully your fault the first manufacturer changed the agreement.
Dealing with companies in China, they have their own way of doing business, and anything will set them off if they think they didn't make the best deal the first round thru, so any time they can change things with any excuse they can find, they'll use it.

I've found some interesting 9mm diodes to consider
This manufacturer also has FAC lenses for correction,
of the fast vertical axis, for all their lasers... we'll see!

635nm @ 300 - 400- & 600 mW (9mm) nice, divergence isn't "round", but still nice.
808nm @ 2.2watt, in 9mm WOW! .. also,
980nm @ 2.2watt, 9mm

just as alternatives to using C-mount or TO3
I'm waiting for info, and new years to end in china :pop:

EDITED- Grix, ... I just found someone selling SINGLE HL63133DG ,
They have 8 or 10 , for 175US$ each
maybe they still have some left from that overstock.
>HERE<

Grix, not to poke fun at you, I really can't find it,
please show me where the PDF says either of your diodes are SINGLE MODE.
if you haven't already answered in the post before this.
... I honestly thought, and still think that single mode diodes are the best choice. ...

Last edited:
^Before reading, I thought I had missed out on a good thread here...after reading, I'm glad I stayed out of this one.

I'm sure you're trying real hard and trying to do a great service to the community, and I applaud the effort, but wow.

I don't understand your "WOW" regarding the effort, and the fact you're glad you stayed out.

I genuinely wanted to get Grix something he wanted, but it seems JUST he
wants it, so I looked for someone with a smaller quantity he could afford.

I was going to actually send him one for free, for several seconds, but
deleted that shortly after posting it. :beer:, maybe I should feel like I'm being
played by some here too! and go WOW, also.

No offence, but can you explain why you think either I'm something bad, or
something in this thread is bad about me?

or are you just trying to spin this into something bad?

All I have to hear, and really, I just need to hear it from people who matter,
is to stop this offer, and go away, and I will.

I deleted too, but not fast enough, oh well.

It's just you don't really know much about laser diodes...at all...and yet you're sticking your neck out to purchase them from some unknown source and resell them.

Yeah, you can look at a data sheet and all, but you don't seem to know NEARLY enough about what it is you're trying to buy/sell here. Someone could easily be giving you a bunch of hokum, and you wouldn't know the difference, as well as many other problems.

"A" for effort and enthusiasm, but you seriously want to be the US distributor for a supposed laser diode manufacturer (or so they say)? You need to know a bit more about your product. The actual meanings of "multimode", "multiple emitter", and "multiple quantum well" would be a good start.

My whole point of posting was to find out about lasers from members here...
as well as find out what's the most popular, wavelength and types.

I've asked the differences, and also if others wanted the same choices as Grix,
and didn't hear many, if any, others wanting the same one he wanted.

Plus, I didn't get much info from some of the answers I received, other than
it's easier to focus.

That's nice, but if it's just for a pointer, why spend so much for a fancy beam,
and complain I'm not buying 100 or more of ones just 3, or less, here, actually want,
just to get a better price from the group buy at another site.

The original source I was going to buy from was known by me, and was
willing to allow smaller quantities at the higher quantity price to be purchased,
as well as making me one of their distributors in the USA-NYC.

This changed when they thought I was delaying, trying to cancel the original agreement.

The others I'm looking at now, are from authorized distributors from the manufacturers I'm looking to for other parts.

I don't just had over my cash to any chinese company, or any other company, lightly.

I do "check them out" before doing any business, but I still have to get quotes....
and everyone wants a cheap price ... :tinfoil:

If you're so concerned I don't get scammed, why not tell me the technology of
"multiple quantum well", is it considered SINGLE mode too?

Then again, seeing your post in another thread about me,
I don't think you really care.

What about GreenBeam and his grand purchase?

LOL

my original reason to give to this community, was because
I was asking them to explain the different Lasers to me,
without me having to search for the answers online.

I deleted too, but not fast enough, oh well.

It's just you don't really know much about laser diodes...at all...and yet you're sticking your neck out to purchase them from some unknown source and resell them.

Yeah, you can look at a data sheet and all, but you don't seem to know NEARLY enough about what it is you're trying to buy/sell here. Someone could easily be giving you a bunch of hokum, and you wouldn't know the difference, as well as many other problems.

"A" for effort and enthusiasm, but you seriously want to be the US distributor for a supposed laser diode manufacturer (or so they say)? You need to know a bit more about your product. The actual meanings of "multimode", "multiple emitter", and "multiple quantum well" would be a good start.

Last edited:
@pullbangdead
He wants to help but, he is learning too. He isn't going to buy the diodes before posting they here. Everyone learn something everyday :beer:
What do you think of the diodes? give your impression to us (I would like a lot a "reddie" to my future collection :beer:)

@GreenBeam
I would like 2.2W 808nm a lot. :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.