Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's in your camera bag?

According to the rules I posted, I'm only allowed to post pics that belong to me, so you have to post your pics yourself I guess... :D

Bag #1, Lowepro CLIPS-100:

Panasonic FZ-35
Spare battery, UV filters and lenspen

Bag #2, Caselogic SLRC-202 Medium:

Canon EOS 550D (my first DSLR)
18-55mm kit lens
50mm f/1.8
Giottos blower and cleaning cloth

Would love to get my hands on Canon's 10-22mm lens in the future :)

I used to work as a photojournalist, so over the years I've went through a lot of gear; when I was in the field my favorites where a Nikon N90s w/MB-10 and a Cannon AE-1 Program w/Power Winder. Now, it's just a hobby for me. All of my gear is digital now (I've sold off all of my film bodies) with the exception of a Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 that just sits on display in my office.

Bag: Tamrac pro12
Body: Nikon D80 w/MB-D80
Flash: Nikon SB-600

Various Nikkor and other lenses (Nikkor 18-135 DX being the most used), Dolica ball-head tripod, way too many filters and other assorted gadgets. Also always carry a first aid kit, emergency mylar blanket, Leatherman multi-tool, a couple plastic ponchos and a magnesium fire-starter - just in case.

I used to work as a photojournalist ... always carry a first aid kit ... just in case.
Wow, sounds like you've been in places & conditions I've only witnessed on the news... :eek:

So what did it take for a veteran like yourself to walk away from emulsion and embrace the 1s & 0s? I'll never forget the incredibly stirring images brought to the public by LIFE and the photojournalists that stood behind that iconic label... :bowdown:

Wow, sounds like you've been in places & conditions I've only witnessed on the news... :eek:

I've been attacked, chased with a gun, charged by dogs (and a couple bulls), trapped in a flood with water past my waste, almost hit by several cars, got stuck on a mountain with a -30 F temperature (not wind chill), and more of the like - it was anything but boring. Though I think the most dangerous were the girls that are attracted to that lifestyle ;)

So what did it take for a veteran like yourself to walk away from emulsion and embrace the 1s & 0s?

Here's a quick breakdown of the issues I came across:

• Time
    1. Deadlines - I've missed deadlines because there wasn't time to process the film.
    2. Quantity - Developing one roll of film doesn't take that long, but on a busy day I would burn through 20 rolls easily, that's where it really starts taking too long.
    3. Missing Shots - Even with two cameras, moving as fast as I could, there were times I would miss shots because I hadn't had time to swap out rolls. You don't win awards while changing film, I can tell you that for a fact.
  • Money
    1. Film - Good film isn't isn't cheap, even in bulk it adds up fast, even moreso when you have to buy then wait to be reimbursed.
    2. Processing - Developing 35mm black and white is fairly inexpensive, C-41 (color) is another story though, to do it right it gets quite pricey - so for color you pretty much have to use a commercial lab.

There's also the fact, I'm a geek. After leaving photojournalism I went back to an old hobby and turned it into a career - I'm currently the Application Development Manager at a fairly large telecom services company. So me and the 1's and 0's already had a long standing friendship :p

I'll never forget the incredibly stirring images brought to the public by LIFE and the photojournalists that stood behind that iconic label... :bowdown:

I've met some amazing people, seen images that will be permanently engraved in my mind, experienced things that I never thought I would along the way. I've had some success, won a few awards, made some friends, and hopefully impacted a few lives. Though I am but an ant in a land of giants.

There are many that deserve the title of hero, though it's those that fell holding a camera that have a place in my heart. It's those, and many others that made me feel so proud and yet so small to bear the title of photojournalist.