Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's a heatsink?

I'm new to building lasers, and everyone is talking about heatsinks, yet I have no idea what they are. Will someone tell me? ^^;;

randomlugia said:
I'm new to building lasers, and everyone is talking about heatsinks, yet I have no idea what they are. Will someone tell me? ^^;;
I can't believe you just asked that! :eek:

Check out the link in my signature :)

diachi

The search box is your friend.

Anyway, a heatsink just absorbs heat and disipates it so that it helps keep whatever is creating heat cool, in the case of lasers, it keeps the diode from getting too hot.

-Adam

OK, Heatsink - a means used to remove from a device or assembly the heat generated by the operation of said device or assembly so that said device or assembly may continue to operate within its thermal parameters. Heatsinking can include water cooling (your car's engine), metal fins (transistor heatsink - look at circuit board from old TV or CRT monitor found in garbage), fan assisted heatsinks (look at your PC's cpu fan and heatsink combo), peltier or TEC systems (electronic portable beer cooler)

In lasers - heatsink is needed to remove heat generated by laser diode. Aixiz housing is a small heatsink, we usually add more to it, like washers, or machined aluminum, to help spread more heat away from the diode, letting us run the diode at fullest power possible.

sorry to add more confusion to the matter but i was about to post a topic which is related, i should be getting my driver and diode in the mail monday(edit) and i was wondering about the heatsink. i obviously need a heatsink for the diode, should i use a heatsink for the driver also?

Mohrenberg said:
sorry to add more confusion to the matter but i was about to post a topic which is related, i should be getting my driver and diode in the mail monday(edit) and i was wondering about the heatsink. i obviously need a heatsink for the diode, should i use a heatsink for the driver also?
It depends which driver you are using. If you are using a flexdrive, you do not need a heatsink. If you are using a DDL or rckstr driver, it would be better to use a heatink.

hey can someone get me a heat sink under 15$ if so that would be cool.

Benm

You would need a heatsink for any 'burning' diode really. I neednt be very large, but just the aixiz module will not suffice if you want to run it continoulsy.

As far as the driver is concerned: you have to calculate how much power it is dissipating. If you have something like the DDL LM317 based driver, and run your laser from 6 volt batteries at 200 mA or so, it usually doesnt need a heatsink. This is all stuff that can be calculated though, so just ask for your specific situation.

Welcome to the forums (1.5 years later) :wave:

Thank you!
cheesy.gif

Benm

Pesky old threads... always seem brand new when someone comments on them a year later, and i should look at dates ;p