Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What would be the *strength* of this laser?

Hello,

I have a 532nm Laser, which cost me about $123, It says (Power Output <2000mW), I have asked before and have been told a 2W Green laser as a handheld is almost immpossible.

I cannot afford a LaserBee Product, but when I do shine it inside a room(during the day) I can see the beam. I MAKE SURE, NOBODY CAN GET HIT/SEE THE BEAM/DOT(IM CAREFUL).

I haven't tried burning with it, would this be maybe 500mW? When I compare it to my 50mW it completely cover's the dot.

Thank you,

Alex.

Things

Yes, it may be 500mW, it could also be 400mW, 300mW, 200mW, 100mW, 50mW.

There is no way to tell without a LPM.

Last edited:

DJNY

You can for sure estimate the minimum mW it could be. Do you have safety glasses? Is your laser focusable? A focusable 70mW 532nm laser should be able to light a black matchhead within 2sec, a non focusable should need around 120mW to light a black matchhead.

Point it at your arm keep safe use glasses and don't move it at all most important , if it stings straight away its around 200mw assuming the beam isn't sprayed all over the place and is fairly sharp no blob on a wall at 20 feet at the spot ...if a few seconds 125mW, if 10 seconds and only gets warm around 50 to 100 mW i done basic tests on my greens with my LPM and that's what i have found

Last edited:
You can send it to someone with a LPM and they can meter it for you to let you know. I just metered a members laser, got it thursday, metered it thurs night and sent it back to them fri at lunch

Best method is always a LPM... but using burning tests and such MAY be effective for a rough estimate. I'm not saying it will, but it just might. Follow the instructions above and see what you get

burning tests only show how well you can focus a beam. a 100mW 532nm not focused properly wont do a thing but yet a 40mW 532nm focused perfectly will light a match with ease. In the end a LPM is the only way to tell. I have a 400mW 532nm and when its not focused, it wont light a match even though its 400mW

Fair point. If you have a 2mm beam diameter though and you focus/expand the dot to that size (roughly) then you can guesstimate it. At least it would be enough to tell the difference between 50mW and 200mW

All my feel it tests ,were for average divergance beams, just to give a ball park figure of course a LPM is the only real way to accurate results. I used my feel it sting tests against the results on my LPM, if you want a ball park figure on comparing 50 to 100 to 125 to 200ish mW power these will be good enough, of course the beam density ie focus makes a huge difference so it will only ever be a ball park figure, just trying to help

Last edited:
Same here. Obviously nothing can match the accuracy of an LPM, but the difference between 50mW and 200mW can be "felt" at least to me