Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What was your first >5mW greenie?

lazed said:
[quote author=mikeeey link=1205697157/0#14 date=1205724962]ive never owned a <5mW laser. my first laser was a True DX 50mW.

>5mW, not <5mW. Hahaha, we all make mistakes sometimes :D[/quote]
Actually i think what he was saying is that he has never had a laser that had power less than 5 mW and every laser he's ever bought was a high powered one.

lazed

cbrian4 said:
[quote author=lazed link=1205697157/15#15 date=1205725241][quote author=mikeeey link=1205697157/0#14 date=1205724962]ive never owned a <5mW laser. my first laser was a True DX 50mW.

>5mW, not <5mW.  Hahaha, we all make mistakes sometimes :D[/quote]
Actually i think what he was saying is that he has never had a laser that had power less than 5 mW and every laser he's ever bought was a high powered one.[/quote]

Ohhh I see now...  Oops!  We really do all make mistakes!  :D  Sorry mate!

lol yea i made a mistake there. it is true that ive never owned a <5mW laser, and everything I've owend is >5mW. I didnt realize that the topic title said >5mW an now <5mW.

My first green laser (of any power) was a WL Nexus (made by CNI) supposedly putting out 95mw. Well, it faded fast after about 2 months, and WL replaced it with another 95mw CNI which works great and I still have it today.

Before that I had never seen a green laser in person (other than lasers at concerts and whatnot, but not a pointer) and I was dubious that any laser "pointer" could really burn anything so I took the plunge and bought one just to see. You see, in the late 90's I worked in a laser machining shop and I thought the only lasers that could burn anything were industrial-type CO2 or YAG lasers! Needless to say I was wrong, even if all I could burn was red or black paper and plastic and light matches.....

JSP4th

hey i'm buying the radio shack greenie tom (don't want to wait for my 1st and that is the only laser i can get around me) did modding it really help at all....was it worth it...and if so what do i do to mine tomorrow?

Paid $160 for my 35mW Executive Advanced from WL.... Sure sucked to find the DX true 30 for only $25 but i did manage to squeeze 3 pairs of laser safety goggles out of them and a WL core - all free, so i don't consider myself to be too bad off, especially seeing as how my core and 35mw green lasers work great

JSP4th said:
hey i'm buying the radio shack greenie tom  (don't want to wait for my 1st and that is the only laser i can get around me) did modding it really help at all....was it worth it...and if so what do i do to mine tomorrow?

Take it back to Radio Shack and get a refund. ;D

I spent ALOT of hours on this laser. They are good as a normal green pointer. To mod them, is a losing battle. They are hard to open without destroying them (So far I am the only person I know that can open RS lasers without leaving marks. I'm not saying how, because I don't want them slammed with people trying to mod them.) After 4 pointers, my end result was a laser that would peak high enough in a couple seconds to smoke my skin a little, or black stuff. Then it would TEM1 and beam split. To get that far, required pot modding, then removed optical feedback, then eliminated the series resistance to the diode by changing the surface mount resistor from 1.0 ohm to .1 ohm. Then I hooked it to a power supply to check power draw, and burned it up. They are very laser diode power output limited for safety and cost, like not much more than 200mw IR before the laser diode is in the danger zone.

Get a different laser. You'll thank us later. You aren't going to mod it into a serious burner. Been there, done that. Save your money and get a good laser, like a Nova.

Ace82

My first 532 was from Fry's Electronics, Alpec 5mW for $100. It was the coolest thing to me because I've always wanted a green laser since I first developed an interest for lasers back in the early 90's. You can still buy the same laser at Fry's, for $90! ;DI actually gave it away in a sorry attempt to "Kick the habbit" I would never put it down! Now I have several lasers!

DX true 50mW it was very good to me when i had it and exceeded my expectations.

ebay 5 mw was the start of my addiction
then leadlight glp105-thenglp110-dx 50 mw then rpl 260

HELP

Oh and my friend and i were able to open a radio shack laser without banging it up, it was then pot modded to around 15mW and was able to pop a balloon once for some reason but never again after that. He killed it by hooking up 4 triple a's to it which blasted out around 70mW for around 3 seconds then it died.

Got a 80mW PGL-III for $185 ($205 w/shipping) from a group buy on the CandlePowerForums a year or something ago. Previous to that I had a crappy Newwish-type < 5mW laser I got from eBay.

MB500

A WL Classic 15mW. It started maybe around 25mW and now it can pop balloons. And light matches with a lens. I think I would suggest Wicked Lasers for very low power lasers. Like the 5mW-15mW ones.