Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What type of keyboard?

What type of keyboard do you use?

• QWERTY, I like to slow down and think about what I'm saying

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • DVORAK, MEEP MEEP!

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • QWERTZ, weinersnitchel

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • AZERTY, I'm french.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Voice recognition FTW!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i tipe den stuf goez on screne

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
...Do you really retain the ability to "switch" back and forth between both? How long did it take you to make the switch, and has your Qwerty been getting progressively worse since you stopped using it?

Yes, I type QWERTY every day. I remember at the start it was hard to switch between the two layouts, but that only lasted a couple months. Learning it was surprisingly easy. It took me a couple years to master QWERTY, but only a couple weeks to learn dvorak. Within a month or two I was faster in dvorak than qwerty. If I go for long periods without using anyone else's computer (say, two months without using a qwerty kb), yes, I suck at QWERTY for the first few minutes or like an hour or so, but it's not like you forget it, it's like riding a bike.

Ash

This is my current customization of the 10 zones plus mouse.(not pictured, it's blue.)

Capture-2.jpg

The two outsides being blue and the inner two being lighter gives it a cool bleed effect.
Super-drool :drool:
I wanted the m15X so bad, but with an older Alienware laptop and a brand new Vaio laptop still woking (as well as my gaming/desktop/media center), I don't know what I would do with another laptop, and $1700 less in the bank. :thinking:
But 10-zones... Insane :bowdown:

Super-drool :drool:

You think that's droolworthy? Check out THIS badboy:
003.jpg

Ohhh yeah, nearly ten pounds, solid steel backplate, virtually indestructible, 24 years old, makes noises like a typewriter. All those illuminated "gamer" keyboards are complete and total crap. They're mushy and flimsy and feel like a cheap chinese toy. They have short throw, no aural or tactile feedback, typing on them feels like jamming your fingers into stale marshmallows. An IBM Model M by comparison, each keystroke is like biting into a crisp apple, with a clean snap, each keypress is a smooth and springloaded click.

Last edited:
All those illuminated "gamer" keyboards are complete and total crap. They're mushy and flimsy and feel like a cheap chinese toy. They have short throw, no aural or tactile feedback, typing on them feels like jamming your fingers into stale marshmallows.

I disagree, while I may have not typed on a model M, I have on many others and this is in the top ten overall, one of the best for laptop keyboards. Can't say anything for the desktop Alienware keyboard though.

Last edited:

aXit

I am strongly considering switching to Dvorak now, but this was the last major concern that I had (e.g. Needing to type something real quick on a QWERTY keyboard and looking like an idiot that can barely type :p). Do you really retain the ability to "switch" back and forth between both? How long did it take you to make the switch, and has your Qwerty been getting progressively worse since you stopped using it?

Hope you don't mind my bombardment of questions, I'm just quite curious to hear from someone with actual specific experience involving the big switch.

-Chris

It's very easy to retain, if you keep typing on it. A friend and I switched at the same time, but he desperately didn't want to loose QWERTY, so he kept typing with QWERTY. He kept his QWERTY speed, and almost matched it with Dvorak. I made a complete switch though, all the keyboards in my life turned to Dvorak. I lost QWERTY completely, but then after becoming proficient in Dvorak, I started learing QWERTY again. I'm now at about half my old speed, but Dvorak is like 150%.

Point is, you can keep it if you want it.

Another great point to learning Dvorak, is that you shouldn't switch your keys around, so when you learn it, you learn perfect touch typing. I did that, and somehow, the good habits stuck.

Another problem is that all the normally fast keyboard shortcuts like CTRL-C and CTRL-V and in awkward places. Linux and macs have the ability to switch back to QWERTY when CTRL or ALT are pressed, but windows doesn't. I made a AHK script for windows that switched the layout to my modified dvorak, but reverts it back to QWERTY when CTRL or ALT are pressed. Best of both worlds, fast and comfortable typing, still with the known and easy to reach shortcuts.

Any chance you would share your AHK script? I hardly ever boot windows but it would be great to have.

aXit

It's of my modified layout, like I described above...

Do you want the .exe or the script?

Any chance you would share your AHK script? I hardly ever boot windows but it would be great to have.
Give me a day or so to find it.. I used to have an actual windows keyboard layout for that...

Otherwise, here's a couple autohotkey scripts I found on google:
Mac Style Dvorak QWERTY Command Layout Switcher for Windows
Remapping modifiers to Qwerty on a Dvorak keyboard

Also, for anyone who's obsessed with mechanical keyboards or the dvorak layout, here's a really great forum you should check out: geekhack forums - Powered by vBulletin

aXit

Give me a day or so to find it.. I used to have an actual windows keyboard layout for that...

Otherwise, here's a couple autohotkey scripts I found on google:
Mac Style Dvorak QWERTY Command Layout Switcher for Windows
Remapping modifiers to Qwerty on a Dvorak keyboard

Also, for anyone who's obsessed with mechanical keyboards or the dvorak layout, here's a really great forum you should check out: geekhack forums - Powered by vBulletin

Mhm, that's the code I based mine off.

I would avoid using the windows dvorak layout though, like I said before, the shortcuts like CTRL-C are in annoying places.

Ash

All those illuminated "gamer" keyboards are complete and total crap. They're mushy and flimsy and feel like a cheap chinese toy. They have short throw, no aural or tactile feedback, typing on them feels like jamming your fingers into stale marshmallows.
Really? All? Sounds like you are talking out your ass. :tsk:
Clearly, you have never touched an Alienware TactX.
Sure, most of the other "light-up" keyboards are shit. But Alienware is a serious company that strives to meet the demands of serious gamers.

Quotes from reviews:
"The keys have a quiet ambiance about them but still manage to deliver a satisfying press. The keys feels solid like I could pound them in intense gaming. Also to be noted that this keyboard accepts multiple keys pressed at same time up to 7 Keys."
"The things i like about this keyboard include the solid build contruction (very sturdy, keystrokes feel firm and responsive), the quality lighting (i game in the dark), the ease of using all the features ..."
" This is a very comfortable keyboard for spending long times in front of a screen and the lighting makes it very easy to use even in total darkness. "

sources:
Alienware TactX Keyboard Reviews | 19 reviews | Buzzillions.com
Alienware TactX Keyboard & Mouse - Alienware TactX Keyboard

:D

[...]Alienware is a serious company that strives to meet the demands of serious gamers.
[...]

HAHAHA OH WOW! You can't be serious, please tell me that's sarcasm. Alienware uses horrible quality parts, then slaps neon lights and a logo on it then charges $1000 more. They're a horrible company. They used to be almost half decent when they were an independent boutique manufacturer, but since they've been dell, they've been using crappy parts, and charging double the price of more powerful systems.
Have you actually READ those reviews? Most of them are "I like the pretty lights. They're colorful and they match the colors of the lights in my computer"... Others are completely clueless, saying it's "the best keyboard for 3d" as if somehow it makes any difference.

That is a cheap, flimsy, rubber dome membrane keyboard, made of three pieces of plastic. A proper quality keyboard will have individual mechanical switches for each key, be they alps sliders, cherry keyswitches, or IBM style buckling spring actuators. There should be tactile and aural feedback, with no ability to "half-press" a key. The keys should have an actuation force of about 45 grams, providing feedback at the precise point at which the contact is made, and the switches should be rated to at least 1,000,000 presses. They should have a smooth throw so you can avoid bottoming out while typing. There are very specific features that make a quality, solid, reliable keyboard that's as pleasure to type on, and those neon "gaming" keyboards never have them. For a good, well constructed keyboard, expect to pay at least $150. Those alienware ones are a $30 dealextreme keyboard with a logo slapped on it so they can sell it for $100. If you want something quality, get a topre realforce, or a filco brown, or a chicony or a a model M or a hkkb pro or hell, even the das keyboard is better than any alienware POS.

I have tried many, many, many keyboards. I'm a little obsessed about them actually. I'm telling you right now that is a piece of crap. There are much, much better "gaming" keyboards out there, with anti-ghosting, n-key rollover, etc etc, that make alienware look like garbage.

[EDIT]: Err... Upon re-reading that, I sound like a grumpy, rake-waving old man, telling kids to get off my lawn. I apologize for the rant, it's just something I feel strongly about. The keyboard is the one piece of computer equipment you touch the most, you put the most wear on, and in my mind, is arguably the single most important part of a computer. I'm not going to edit my rant to make myself appear sane, though I am going to apologize for it after the fact.

Last edited:

cmak

I heard they were somewhat equivalent with what Wicked used to be (cheap stuff, but fancy and overpriced to make it look like it's good).

Just what I heard, no personal experience with the products.

-Chris

Ash

HAHAHA OH WOW! You can't be serious, please tell me that's sarcasm.
I am actually completely serious. I love the feel, look and performance of my keyboard. I don't care that much about having "IBM style buckling spring actuators" or "an actuation force of about 45 grams" or if it's "the best", just "the best for me", which this keyboard is. :na:
-end of story-

But, please don't try to tell people that these are cheap DX keyboards with a "logo" slapped on them. That's total BS. (Saitek Eclipse II: perhaps) :undecided:
I'm sure you have a reason to hate Alienware, a lot of people hated them only after the Dell buy-out. Good to see you know how to jump on a bandwagon. :crackup:

I'm not going to edit my rant to make myself appear sane, though I am going to apologize for it after the fact.

Props for not editing to appear sane but apologizing. Many go off on a rant once in awhile.

Since most people have never felt mechanical keys its trying to convince someone who quite literally doesn't know what your talking about... That tends to become rather frustrating.

:crackup:mad: grumpy, rake-waving old man
Tho a grumpy, laser-waving old man would seem more likely.

Last edited:

cmak

Anybody here use COLEMAK? I heard it was even better than Dvorak in terms of speed and wrist-preservation, and was curious to hear some user-feedback about it.

-Chris