Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What to point laser at that WON'T burn?

With a 2 watt blue laser, it starts burning anything pretty quickly. If I want to set the laser down and leave it on for a bit, what can I use as a sort of background to point it at, that won't burn? Any ideas?

I figured this might already be asked but I couldn't find anything when searching.

Last edited:

Re: What to point laser at that WON' burn?

Edit: Crap, I hit enter while trying to type the title. Oh well. I was trying to ask what I can point the laser at that WON'T burn?

With a 2 watt blue laser, it starts burning anything pretty quickly. If I want to set the laser down and leave it on for a bit, what can I use as a sort of background to point it at, that won't burn? Any ideas?

I figured this might already be asked but I couldn't find anything when searching.
I think clicking the "go advanced" tab allows you to edit the title.
Tough question. Let's see. Ooh! I got it. A brick. A cinder block. A rock. Metal. Crockery. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

diachi

Generally anything that wouldn't burn in a fire? Pretty simple. :rolleyes:

GSS

Metal thats shiny can be an issue..Use flat black if you paint it..
If you use a bathroom tile, use the non glazed back of it..

Last edited:

personally im using a black colored metal frame,works great and any reflection that comes from it is very scattered to bother me.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20180308_213321.jpg
    IMG_20180308_213321.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 173

Def not you pants, couch, or pillows!!! I found that out last night getting my projector up and running again!! Ha I mean I already knew that but it was a Lil suprising. Also drapes and curtains. My wife loves the Lil pin holes I've made over the years

I think clicking the "go advanced" tab allows you to edit the title.
Tough question. Let's see. Ooh! I got it. A brick. A cinder block. A rock. Metal. Crockery. Hope this helps.

Thanks didn’t realize it was an option on the advanced page.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I was looking for something I might have around the house, I’m not sure I have any of that but I’ll have to look around tonight and see what I got.

Thanks didn’t realize it was an option on the advanced page.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I was looking for something I might have around the house, I’m not sure I have any of that but I’ll have to look around tonight and see what I got.
Go outside and get a large dark Rock...
Or if you have a dark Cast Iron pot.
Shine it inside at a 45 deg angle.

BTW.. would be appreciated if you added
your Global location to your Profile.

Jerry

Last edited:
If your a DIY sort you could do what I did, get a small ceramic kitchen tile and hit it with some BBQ spray paint. BBQ paint is ideal because its rated for high temperature and its an ultra matte black so it kills reflections.

Surprisingly I use my white wall because 2 watts is a lot of energy but it isn’t enough to burn through a white wall, at least not mine. When I finally built the 07E I will use a brick that I got from Home Depot.
But everyone else’s ideas were better than mine since my white wall makes my whole house bright blue. Hah!

Last edited:
For my high powered blues, I have a 12" square piece of 3/4" CRS.
It will stop the laser but not a 50 BMG!!!
HM

Hi All:

I use a 1 cm thick square black matte ceramic tile that I received at a local tile supply store. They were happy to give me a piece from their scrap pile when I told them I needed a laser beam trap. It has very little reflection and doesn’t feel warm after two minutes exposure to a focused 5.6 Watt 445 nm laser beam. Thanks. :D

-cd

Coonie

Just make sure the laser is mounted tight if you're going to place it down anywhere. It could easily go rogue and zap you right in the eyes. Accidents happen even in an instant. Treat the laser as if it were a loaded gun with a hair trigger.

diachi

Surprisingly I use my white wall because 2 watts is a lot of energy but it isn’t enough to burn through a white wall, at least not mine. When I finally built the 07E I will use a brick that I got from Home Depot.
But everyone else’s ideas were better than mine since my white wall makes my whole house bright blue. Hah!

You'd be surprised what 2W of tight 445nm can do to a white surface. Got a few good scorch marks on my blinds (heavy, white plastic) from a 2W 445 (2x A140, knife edge, prism corrected) that was sitting across the room.

Last edited: