Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What Stores Sell Laser Pointers (Green) in Los Angeles???

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if there was any stores that sold green Lasers in (or near) Los Angeles/ SOuthern California. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Myfirstlaser:thanks:

Many electronics stores, such as say RadioShack sell laser pointers.

However they sell only up to 5mW. Seems like a good starting point for you, since you clearly researched the topic in depth.

Hi InfinitusEquitas,
Thanks for your response. I was wondering what power laser to get, and your post confirmed that a 5mw is a good starting point.
Thanks,
Myfirstlaser

Pilgor

what do want with a laser?? burning?? or just a beam. If you just want a bright beam at night, 75mW of 532nm would be ideal.

but it looks like he wants to buy local... which you can not buy a 75mw laser at a local store in LA...

Hi,
I just want a laser to point around at night- noothing very powerful- for fun. I would also like to use it as a laser for my paintball marker.
Thanks,
Myfirstlaser

Pilgor

ok, if you're using it for paintball I'd definitely stay 5mW or under. There is probably members from this forum in the LA area who can sell you 5mW laser.

5mW green is the best and only option for a person who doesn't want to deal with safety issues. - Which I was initially.

Even 5mW will produce a beam in smoke though, so it is still a nice starting point.

Radioshack green lasers are very overpriced but rock solid. As for buying on here, my only concern is that while it's a positive to most people... the lasers here are VERY overpowered. Post a WTB thread in the Buy Sell Trade section specifically saying that you want a green laser, <5mW TOTAL output.

Have Fun.:beer:

Edit: You will see the dot from a 5mW Green quite far away :)

Last edited:
Yes although I don't really like practice war or pointing any kind of projectile device at humans or other living things, it is clear to me if you put a pointer on a paintball gun or airsoft or any gun at all, it certainly should be considered a likely accident to hit an eye sooner or later. I would advise that even a laser that was measured as <5 mW is after all, a device that could sooner or later have a change and the actual output might indeed drift above 5 mW, then permanent eye damage could occur... this is especially true if using cheap pointers rated >5 mW from DX, LED shop or other such sources were used and likely do not have IR filters! I just think it's a bad idea, and I never offered my own son a <5 mW to aim his toys as these lasers are not too reliable to never damage any eye! Sorry if this is a kill-joy attitude... -Glenn

Last edited:
Glenn makes a very good point.

Those cheap green lasers leak IR to begin with, that's why I said to specify 5mW total output in your WTB thread, and if the crystals get completely knocked out, the laser can be producing A LOT of infrared and you would never even know it until the damage is done.

As a side note, if a green laser ever stops working DO NOT look into it. Put a small thin piece of paper on the laser, and turn off the lights, if you see a little reddish light on the paper it means the laser is still working but only producing unfocused infrared light.

If you are looking to mount something to a paintball gun, a red laser is a much better option, and the diodes are generally much tougher and more reliable. Cheapie reds are sold all over the place for very little.

I'm sorry to continue the kill joy parade, but there is no way to safely recreate the movie effect of the red beams without smoke... even 250mw+ red lasers don't really do much without smoke.

The Wicked Laser Core laser is very good as an IR filtered well built 5 mW laser, and btw, I still don't like the idea of pointing at people though... -Glenn

The Wicked Laser Core laser is very good as an IR filtered well built 5 mW laser, and btw, I still don't like the idea of pointing at people though... -Glenn

True, but I have to say I'm strongly opposed to the idea of sending anyone over to Wicked.

IMO their business practices and inconsistency with other lasers make them a lousy choice for a first laser buy.

If they are shipping lasers on time now, the 5mW core is a good choice though.

I would stay as far away from wicked as possible, no doubt the core is really solid but I don't think someone buying their first laser wants to wait months for it. I have had a bad experience with them with both shipping and item quality. I would stick with the reds on this one as well, you could probably even find one that would mount right on your paintball gun at your local walmart and avoid a shipping wait, and hey if it doesn't work or doesn't fit, they will take pretty much anything back on retrun: Walmart.com: CenterPoint Laser Sight: Hunting
Just a thought, good luck. -Matt