Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What South Koreans think of North Korea

Don't worry guys, if N. Korea disarms, the threat of a nuclear conflict will pop-up somewhere else in the world, we don't get a break.

Don't worry guys, if N. Korea disarms, the threat of a nuclear conflict will pop-up somewhere else in the world, we don't get a break.

Positive thinking. It comes down to will power. N.Korea just took a gigantic step as did ROK. Probably arguably the largest step to reunification since the Korean War. Mark my words. What we are witnessing is the end of the Korean conflict in its entirety.
Sometime in the next day or so the two leaders will sign the peace treaty and finally bring peace to the peninsula. When this happens, it will be a historic occasion of epic proportions.
A pledge was signed by both Mun JaeIn & Kim JongUn to halt aggression and to more or less remove the DMZ.. make it a peace zone. Many Koreans are overjoyed right now as you can well imagine.

This movement was initiated by DPRK and ROK (jointly) , NOT the US...

@ Alaskan
No state is stupid enough to use a nuclear weapon against another as they all realize how suicidal an act it would be. Nuclear deterrent is a better word. I have nuclear capability, don't threaten my sovereignty...etc
It's time for the US to stop playing world police.

20180427001264_0.jpg

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
...I think the West quite honestly over simplifies just how complex the situation in NK really is...

I find in general this is often the case, North American media often have this Disney movie "good or bad" way of viewing conflicts that misses many of the underlying issues. I find it has gotten a bit better over the past few years but it still oversimplifies things to "us = good guys, country X = bad guys" too often.

No state is stupid enough to use a nuclear weapon against another as they all realize how suicidal an act it would be. Nuclear deterrent is a better word. I have nuclear capability, don't threaten my sovereignty...etc

Agreed, not a fan of the hypocrisy of countries with nukes telling others not to build them. In some cases it can actually prevent conflict as two nuclear powers such as US and the former Soviet Union will realize a conflict would be devastating to both and find alternate means to settle disputes. Even rivals such as India and Pakistan have not had a full scale conflict since they both became nuclear powers.

Same goes with Iran, the fear mongering no were near matches the actual risk. Even if they do produce nuclear weapons the chance of them just firing them off is extremely remote, Iran knows darn well they would be obliterated in retaliation if they did that. If the Iranians do develop nuclear weapons, it's probably more as a deterrent because they are afraid the west (under pressure from Saudi Arabia and/or Israel) might get the bright idea of "regime change" again.

What always catches my attention is how overweight Kim is while the people in his country are starving. I know this is not the main issues, but he looks pampered and goes without not.

Reactions: GSS

Encap

Positive thinking. It comes down to will power. N.Korea just took a gigantic step as did ROK. Probably arguably the largest step to reunification since the Korean War. Mark my words. What we are witnessing is the end of the Korean conflict in its entirety.
Sometime in the next day or so the two leaders will sign the peace treaty and finally bring peace to the peninsula. When this happens, it will be a historic occasion of epic proportions.
A pledge was signed by both Mun JaeIn & Kim JongUn to halt aggression and to more or less remove the DMZ.. make it a peace zone. Many Koreans are overjoyed right now as you can well imagine.

This movement was initiated by DPRK and ROK (jointly) , NOT the US...

@ Alaskan

I agree that if N. and S. Korea sign a Peace Treaty and actually end the state war they are still in it would be a good thing for both.
Still being at war 70 years later is a bit on the delusional side in 2018.

Next stop-- will KJU agree to get rid of the nukes???
N Korea has never honored any agreement it signed before so......who knows what will be?

Last edited:
It won't happen until he falls one way or another, maybe a heart attack.

I agree that if N. and S. Korea sign a Peace Treaty and actually end the state war they are still in it would be a good thing for both.

N Korea has never honored any agreement it signed before so......who knows what will be?

Maybe not completely, as no country wants to be without a bargaining chip.
At any rate, I am increasingly encouraged by what I am seeing.

The celebratory dish right now being served in Seoul is
Hamheung style Naengmyeon with a wangmandu (giant mandu/dumpling)
Both dishes originated at the port of Hamheung in DPRK. It is somewhat spicy but refreshing and full of flavour. My wife and I are going to celebrate this saturday with our Korean friends. We will eat and toast to a United Korea.
Big thank you to DPRK's Marshall Kim and ROK's President Mun (literally my ex next door neighbour in Seodaemun-Gu in Seoul....not kidding here) for putting aside differences and giving peace a chance.

Last edited:
Have you ever tried kimchi? I knew a Korean that would stink for days after eating that rotten cabbage. I have never tasted it as the smell emanating from the pores of his skin was enough to gag me.

Have you ever tried kimchi? I knew a Korean that would stink for days after eating that rotten cabbage. I have never tasted it as the smell emanating from the pores of his skin was enough to gag me.

I make Cabbage Kimchi once every ~2 months and I am a pro at it. I also make Kkakdugi, Chonggak-mu, Gat-Kimchi. etc..
Its actually very tasty, and good for your digestive system. btw Kimchi is not rotten cabbage, though it is preserved, much like sauerkraut. New Kimchi has next to no scent, and progressively gets more pungent as it ages. It's really pretty pleasant.
Nothing, I repeat nothing tastes better than fresh made Kimchi and Bossam
together (pork dish). It is a flavour match made in heaven. :beer: Must have it along with Makkeoli (sweet rice wine).

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/napa-cabbage-kimchi

Though, I will tell dishes that smell and those are Chonggukjang and Hongeo.
Both can be wickedly pungent to the point of being unpleasant.
Hongeo is downright nasty, and the taste is like windex/ammonia -- Not nice!! and burns in your mouth from all the urea. Hongeo is extremely fermented skate and is a Southern delicacy Jeolla nam-do regional food.

Last edited:
It is done! A New Era of Peace on the Korean Peninsula.

The End of tensions on the Korean peninsula is now here

Panmunjeom Declaration for Peace, Prosperity and Unification of the Korean Peninsula.

During this momentous period of historical transformation on the Korean Peninsula, reflecting the enduring aspiration of the Korean people for peace, prosperity and unification,
President Moon Jae-in of the Republic of Korea and Chairman Kim Jong-un of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea held an Inter-Korean Summit Meeting at the ‘Peace House’ at Panmunjeon on April 27, 2018.

The two leaders solemnly declared before the 80 million Korean people and the whole world that there will be no more war on the Korean Peninsula and thus a new era of peace has begun.

(Cheong Wa Dae)

The two leaders, sharing the firm commitment to bring a swift end to the Cold War relic of longstanding division and confrontation, to boldly approach a new era of national reconciliation, peace and prosperity,
and to improve and cultivate inter-Korean relations in a more active manner, declared at this historic site of Panmunjeom as follows:

1. South and North Korea will reconnect the blood relations of the people and bring forward the future of co-prosperity and unification led by Koreans by facilitating comprehensive and groundbreaking advancement in inter-Korean relations.
Improving and cultivating inter-Korean relations is the prevalent desire of the whole nation and the urgent calling of the times that cannot be held back any further.

(1) South and North Korea affirmed the principle of determining the destiny of the Korean nation on their own accord and agreed to bring forth the watershed moment for the improvement of inter-Korean relations by fully implementing
all existing agreements and declarations adopted between the two sides thus far.

(2) South and North Korea agreed to hold dialogues and negotiations in various fields including at high level, and to take active measures for the implementation of the agreements reached at the Summit.

(3) South and North Korea agreed to establish a joint liaison office with resident representatives of both sides in the Gaeseong region in order to facilitate close consultation between the authorities as well as smooth exchanges and cooperation between the peoples.

(4) South and North Korea agreed to encourage more active cooperation, exchanges, visits and contacts at all levels in order to rejuvenate the sense of national reconciliation and unity. Between South and North, the two sides will encourage the atmosphere of amity and cooperation by actively staging various joint events on the dates that hold special meaning for both South and North Korea, such as June 15, in which participants from all levels, including central and local governments, parliaments, political parties, and civil organizations, will be involved. On the international front, the two sides agreed to demonstrate their collective wisdom, talents, and solidarity by jointly participating in international sports events such as the 2018 Asian Games.

(5) South and North Korea agreed to endeavor to swiftly resolve the humanitarian issues that resulted from the division of the nation, and to convene the Inter-Korean Red Cross Meeting to discuss and solve various issues including the reunion of separated families. In this vein, South and North Korea agreed to proceed with reunion programs for the separated families on the occasion of the National Liberation Day of August 15 this year.

(6) South and North Korea agreed to actively implement the projects previously agreed in the 2007 October 4 Declaration, in order to promote balanced economic growth and co-prosperity of the nation. As a first step, the two sides agreed to adopt practical steps towards the connection and modernization of the railways and roads on the eastern transportation corridor as well as between Seoul and Sinuiju for their utilization.

2. South and North Korea will make joint efforts to alleviate the acute military tension and practically eliminate the danger of war on the Korean Peninsula.

(1) South and North Korea agreed to completely cease all hostile acts against each other in every domain, including land, air and sea, that are the source of military tension and conflict. In this vein, the two sides agreed to transform the demilitarized zone into a peace zone in a genuine sense by ceasing as of May 1 this year all hostile acts and eliminating their means, including broadcasting through loudspeakers and distribution of leaflets, in the areas along the Military Demarcation Line.

(2) South and North Korea agreed to devise a practical scheme to turn the areas around the Northern Limit Line in the West Sea into a maritime peace zone in order to prevent accidental military clashes and guarantee safe fishing activities.

(3) South and North Korea agreed to take various military measures to ensure active mutual cooperation, exchanges, visits and contacts. The two sides agreed to hold frequent meetings between military authorities, including the Defense Ministers Meeting, in order to immediately discuss and solve military issues that arise between them. In this regard, the two sides agreed to first convene military talks at the rank of general in May.

3. South and North Korea will actively cooperate to establish a permanent and solid peace regime on the Korean Peninsula. Bringing an end to the current unnatural state of armistice and establishing a robust peace regime on the Korean Peninsula is a historical mission that must not be delayed any further.

(1) South and North Korea reaffirmed the Non-Aggression Agreement that precludes the use of force in any form against each other, and agreed to strictly adhere to this Agreement.

(2) South and North Korea agreed to carry out disarmament in a phased manner, as military tension is alleviated and substantial progress is made in military confidence-building.

(3) During this year that marks the 65th anniversary of the Armistice, South and North Korea agreed to actively pursue trilateral meetings involving the two Koreas and the United States, or quadrilateral meetings involving the two Koreas, the United States and China with a view to declaring an end to the War and establishing a permanent and solid peace regime.

(4) South and North Korea confirmed the common goal of realizing, through complete denuclearization, a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula. South and North Korea shared the view that the measures being initiated by North Korea are very meaningful and crucial for the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and agreed to carry out their respective roles and responsibilities in this regard. South and North Korea agreed to actively seek the support and cooperation of the international community for the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

The two leaders agreed, through regular meetings and direct telephone conversations, to hold frequent and candid discussions on issues vital to the nation, to strengthen mutual trust and jointly endeavor to strengthen the positive momentum towards continuous advancement of inter-Korean relations as well as peace, prosperity and unification of the Korean Peninsula.

In this context, President Moon Jae-in agreed to visit Pyongyang this fall.

April 27, 2018
Done in Panmunjeom

Moon Jae-in
President
Republic of Korea

Kim Jong-un
Chairman
State Affairs Commission
Democratic People’s Republic of Korea

Last edited:
Look at Kim Jung's face, he looks scared, I wonder if China wants the North and South to reunite.....I'm sure they want the US to leave the region, but in order to keep nuclear weapons out of Korean hands the US will have to be there from now on, I get the feeling China is directing everything.

Last edited:

GSS

I'm ignorant to all this but I too don't get much relief by just a paper being signed.
Wasn't it just recent N.Korea infiltrated the NY stock exchange computer network for a ploy to cause US economic collapse. Just more threats other than nuclear weapons.

Paul, I grew up with alot of different ethnic friends and have to admit a Chinese friends kitchen smelled aweful at times and their garbage would attract little white maggots.
Also my being Greek, you wouldn't want to be around my kitchen when my mom was cooking during Easter as the traditional soup is made from lamb intestines.:D

I only brought the kimchi up because I knew this Korean that ate it all the time, and it would permeate the room he was in by the stuff leaking out of the pores in his skin. It was the talk of traditional Korean foods that brought this to mind. I'm sure there are other disgusting foods that people of different nationalities eat, but this one stuck with me after 40 years.