Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What power rating would I need?

I do a firework show every year, for the 4th of July. But I wanted to add a twise to it. After reading the make magazine about making a laser show lunch box, got me thinking. I bought some stuff to start this project. I'm not sure what to do about the laser. I would like the beam to be visible with or with out smoke or fog. What power rate of a lase should I use? Can you help me out?

If you are planning to project the beam into the smoke from the fireworks, a 200mw green lab style laser will be perfect.

I did the fireworks at my daughters wedding reception, and my 50mw green laser left a nice beam in the smoke, 200mw will leave people in awe.

Just make sure you do not project into the flight path of any airplanes.

Last edited:
anything outside needs alot of power, i would recommend at least 1watt of 532nm.

200mw will be like shining a little led into the sky.

^You're technically correct andy, but audience size matters a bit. No need for 1W if all you're entertaining is your family or a neighborhood block party. Here's video of two of my scanners in action last 4th:

The green-only system is the biggest @ 200mW, and is easily visible. The vid was shot from about 175' away. They're not blinding by any means, but they are quite visible. The only fog used was the smoke from the fireworks.

Last edited:

jaycey

Nice, I will be going with similar specs on my scanner this year.

Thanks

^Lookin' good Andy! I don't know if I've ever seen those..

The only reason I suggested that a lower power output will still work is because it's sometimes hard for people to justify the cost of a 1W system just starting off or for a small get-together. 200mW is in a much more acceptable cost range. I would never claim that 200mW is better or brighter than a 1W system. I also have a 1W (actually does 1.3W) and it's amazing, but i wouldn't use it outdoors for a paying gig. It's just not quite big enough.

Thanks for the info, I would have about 50 to 70 people so the 200mW would be fine for me. I'll start looking for the how to build section for an x and y scanner.

Things

200mW outside with some firework smoke would be plenty! Of course, more would be better, but 200mW is gonna be quite visible outside anyway if it's all you can afford. Heck, even my 150mW green is quite bright outside, even without fog!