Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What kind of metal are the 803t sleds made out of?

IgorT

Re: What kind of metal are the 803t sleds made out

styropyro said:
Now for the list of things the PHR-803T can do:
and the most boring one...read HD-DVDs.

They can read HD-DVDs?!?  :eek:

styropyro said:
BRB, I'm going to go light one of my sleds on fire.

P.S. You really are a pyromaniac, huh? ;)
And to think, that i always throw the heatsink parts away, after i break them in half.. :(

IgorT said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1216510741/0#9 date=1216522839]Now for the list of things the PHR-803T can do:
and the most boring one...read HD-DVDs.

They can read HD-DVDs?!? :eek:

styropyro said:
BRB, I'm going to go light one of my sleds on fire.

P.S. You really are a pyromaniac, huh? ;)
And to think, that i always throw the heatsink parts away, after i break them in half.. :([/quote]
It's alright if you throw the heatsink away, that is only a little bit of the metal. The whole sled is made out of the alloy.

And yeah, I still am a pyromaniac. ;D

BTW lasercrazy, I gave you a rep point for this discovery because knowing that these sleds are flammable is just awesome. :cool:

The elements on the far left side of the periodic table, e.g. Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium, and especially Cesium, burn or explode in water.

diachi

It sounds like its a magnesium copper alloy, judging by how it apparently has green and blue hues and is really bright. Ill need to buy a blow torch and try this later :eek:

Diachi said:
It sounds like its a magnesium copper alloy, judging by how it apparently has green and blue hues and is really bright. Ill need to buy a blow torch and try this later :eek:
It's not alloyed with copper, those green/blue sparks are coming from the wires and traces from the circuitry on the sled.

diachi

Ohh right, still copper in there anyway then , even if its not a magnesium copper alloy ;)

Thanks for the rep. ;) If I remember correctly the sled has 2 copper rings press fit in the top that the sled slides on.

styropyro said:
It's alright if you throw the heatsink away, that is only a little bit of the metal. The whole sled is made out of the alloy.

And yeah, I still am a pyromaniac. ;D

BTW lasercrazy, I gave you a rep point for this discovery because knowing that these sleds are flammable is just awesome. :cool:

I have to try this....

Styro:
IWANTYOU.jpg

to make a vid plz.

It would suck to drive through a puddle and have your car explode.

hahah that'd make an awesome laser shot picture for the laser terrorists photoshop thread.

I WANT HIM TO MAKE A VIDEO TOO!!

i just love how stuff can burn with water..

I was going to make a video but I forgot my phone inside. Maybe I'll get one posted tonight. :cool:

I didn't get a video of it, nor did I burn a whole sled, but this should give you guys an idea of what we're dealing with...

I shaved off a little pile of powdered sled using a sharp knife (which is no longer sharp by the way..) and lit it with a bic lighter... I think the pictures pretty much speak for themselves here...

31780952xz2.jpg

45047169gh3.jpg

PS: you'll notice I'm burning this on the side of my soldering iron stand, since this is heavy duty solid iron and resistant to this kind of heat, but I'll recommend no one try this inside, and don't do it on top of anything you care about. the safety conscious among you will want to bring a bag of sand, as it's the only thing that will do anything to help extinguish this kind of fire.

you know, now that I've seen the flame, that's far too red to be just magnesium and aluminum...
both of those burn white.. magnesium a bluish white, aluminum an orangeish white from what I recall... these sleds might have idk, strontium or something in them.

I was looking at my other sled carcases I had laying around when I noticed they are all more or less the same material...

40529207bk0.jpg

This is (I believe) a PS3 sled... The metal on it feels lighter than the 803t sled, subjectively.. I have no real evidence of this... The metal was much harder to cut, but then I was also using a different knife... (in fact I was using a razor blade)

29746855wq4.jpg

It burned much less brightly, though about as hot as the last one... I'd venture to guess this sled contains more aluminum and other metals than the 803, where the 803 has more magnesium.

I made a video for you guys but it is pretty crappy...I'll make a new one tonight.

Magnesium doesn't burn as white when it is all crushed up in a pile unless it has a bunch of oxygen/something to let it burn. If you take some magnesium shavings and light them on the ground the flame will stay mostly orangish except for some areas of white. When I lit this sled it burned almost identical to 50/50 Magnalium. My guess is that the PHR-803T sled has more aluminum that magnesium for structural purposes because 50/50 magnalium is horribly brittle.

Wasnt it potassium?

oh,
this now proves that we shouldnt drink anything when spamming working on our computers. a single water drop can ignite these babies :O

styropyro said:
I made a video for you guys but it is pretty crappy...I'll make a new one tonight.

Magnesium doesn't burn as white when it is all crushed up in a pile unless it has a bunch of oxygen/something to let it burn. If you take some magnesium shavings and light them on the ground the flame will stay mostly orangish except for some areas of white. When I lit this sled it burned almost identical to 50/50 Magnalium. My guess is that the PHR-803T sled has more aluminum that magnesium for structural purposes because 50/50 magnalium is horribly brittle.

yeah, for those burn tests I needed to make sure I was feeding it air or it would just slowly burn away, glowing a dull red... it wasn't till I introduced the oxygen that it flared like that.

I've burned a lot of magnesium though, I know this is much redder than that.