Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What kind of laser do you need to turn off stret lights?

Lasers have a bad reputation already. We certainly don't need a member asking what laser to get for such activities on LPF.

I will report to c0ld about this, it's up to him.

Theres no rules in this board saying we can't ask questions, and after all this is a laser pointer forum. You were expressing your opinion, and I'm here to change your opinion. I don't know what you have against me, but I certainly don't have anything against you, further more I'm not here to cause trouble, but yet to learn more, ask questions, and make friends rather than enemies.
I might be rather new here than most, but that does not make me ineligible to ask questions and learn.
The question I asked does not make a big deal for you try to get me banned for. I simply asked a question, did I even say I was going to actually try it? Maybe I was just wondering. Even if I do, my street is extremely un active and I doubt anyone would get hurt. But I'm not an idiot to take that risk. Did I say I was even going to 'get' a laser just for this purpose? No, just no, I don't want a laser so I can just go around like an idiot and turn off street lights.
Lasers don't have a bad reputation. Thats also an opinion. Out of all the countries only the US has banned only IMPORTING lasers, not even possessing them. If they had a bad reputation they wouldn't be used in so many concerts and big events.
The fact that you would just ban me if you were a moderator is irrelevant. No need just for asking a question that like I said above, probably wasn't going to do it. You can report me to the admin, but I'm sure he won't ban me for this, warning at the most, as what I asked is does not break any of the rules of this board.
Since you think that temporarily shutting of a street light is such a big thing, how about if you were a moderator you just ban all of us for just having a laser and burning plastic? Oohh ohh, or ban us all for lighting a match!
The fact that you didn't warn me or express your own opinion in a good, manner way was offending. You just said that its responsible and led on to banning me. You could have said that you think its not a good idea, and I shouldn't do it, and just like some other topics, I would have listened to what you had to say.

I'd like to say once more, I'm not here to cause and trouble or make enemies, I'm here to learn and make friends.

Last edited:

I've got a few handhelds that will turn off streetlights (and not just short-term either)....

One's a .357, ones a 9mm, and even my little seriously underpowered .22 has worked in a pinch!

:gun:

I've got a few handhelds that will turn off streetlights (and not just short-term either)....

One's a .357, ones a 9mm, and even my little seriously underpowered .22 has worked in a pinch!

:gun:

ROFL.....:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:...LMFAO....
"There's your problem"...:crackup:

Jerry

I take this hobby seriously. When I see posts like this I get pissed, tho I admit have some temper. Considering a ban is a bit much, but this is no joke. Lasers are dangerous and need to be treated with respect. Even if you wont do this, there are other people that might get the wrong idea as this forum is open to everyone. People are lasing cars, trains, cops, and even aircrafts more and more. I just get mad, and this topic is a huge negative. When I said that lasers have a bad reputation, I meant pointers, not laser shows - learn the difference. I requested a warning, I know he wont ban you, c0ld is very laid back. Sometimes too much.

I take this hobby seriously. When I see posts like this I get pissed, tho I admit have some temper. Considering a ban is a bit much, but this is no joke. Lasers are dangerous and need to be treated with respect. Even if you wont do this, there are other people that might get the wrong idea as this forum is open to everyone. People are lasing cars, trains, cops, and even aircrafts more and more. I just get mad, and this topic is a huge negative. When I said that lasers have a bad reputation, I meant pointers, not laser shows - learn the difference. I requested a warning, I know he wont ban you, c0ld is very laid back. Sometimes too much.

Suit yourself. I'm done dealing with your ignorance. If you don't like it simply leave this topic.

Laser Shows are from LASERS - Learn it.

People are lasing cars, trains, cops, and even aircrafts more and more. I just get mad, and this topic is a huge negative.

What's so utterly evil about cycling a street light? It doesn't damage anything, isn't dangerous, and is only disruptive under certain circumstances.

they only stay off for a few minutes.

More like a few seconds. They're back on at full power in under a minute.

Make sure your facing west.

I have to be facing south.
huh.gif
I guess it varies by region.

either laser of yours should have sufficient power. Walk around the light in a ~50ft radius while hitting the sensor.

D

Deleted member 8382

this only works with lights that turn up with light sensors. Here in spain street lights are turned up all together with no sensors so it's imposible to turn them off. Try to look at the light u want to turn off in the day and try to see where the sensor is (in case it have one)

I have a 200mw red Dilda, a 30mw true green didnt do anything.

From what I've heard you need at least 50mW of true green to trigger the sensor reliably, but I guess it all just comes down to how bright your dot is, and how steady your aim is.

D

Deleted member 8382

From what I've heard you need at least 50mW of true green to trigger the sensor reliably, but I guess it all just comes down to how bright your dot is, and how steady your aim is.
if he directly hits the diode even 5mW will turn it off. Maybe 50mW makes the job easier ofc, but the diode just needs to think its daylight so theres no high power needed ;P

35 years ago a friend of mine and I did it with a HeNe !!! It stayed off for about a minute. However, We stopped doing it because we thought we would be accountable if something bad happened, like an accident, while the light was off.

Mike

35 years ago a friend of mine and I did it with a HeNe !!! It stayed off for about a minute. However, We stopped doing it because we thought we would be accountable if something bad happened, like an accident, while the light was off.

Mike
I hadn't thought about that Mike...:cool:

Jerry

OMG -- A posting for the irresonsible use of firearms.
OVERBOARD THREAD............

Mike

People show how to import ILLEGAL lasers into the USA, send ILLEGAL lasers to the USA,and more.

This is a minor thing, cmon now, Just wondering :eek:.

How old are you kid?

When I was your age and wanted a light out I've I'd use a BB gun. Times are changing. :p Blame me for what I did when I was 10 or 11. Blame parents for buying children items they are too immature to have.

How about I go to a gun forum kid? "I know nothing about firearms, but, umm what kind of gun is the easiest to hide"? :whistle:(That's a joke for grownups.) :p

Stuff like this is why congress will ban pointers at some point. Mark my words.

Next time you have a question just ask directly. You aren't fooling anyone.

OMG -- A posting for the irresonsible use of firearms.
OVERBOARD THREAD............

Mike

A BB gun isn't a firearm ; ) Now since we have already broken the "responsibility barrier". Is that a colt .45 revolver you are holding in the avatar? I have wanted that gun more than any other. $1400 is the lowest I've seen. Is yours an SA to be authentic or a DA? Of course a part of me doesn't trust semi-automatics. With the best gun I've had (springfield CZ) 1 jam is unacceptable even if it's out of 2000 rounds. That's the beauty of the revolver. Ammo prices... back to lasers. I still will get that wonderful colt at some point.

That could be another caliber but your picture is too small.

Last edited:

Razako

WOW GUYS SERIOUSLY.:fightin:
It's not like he's out lasing airplanes. He just wants to have some harmless fun turning out a streetlight. I've done it myself. You just need a laser with adjustable focus and you can easily knock out certain lights. Spread the beam out to where it's hitting the entire streetlight head and try hitting it from different angles.

Some people here seem to have forgotten their childhood. When I was young, we discovered that you could turn a streetlight off by kicking it. Sometimes it wouldn't work, and we would kick it harder, until one time we broke the plastic cover over the maintenance access hatch (I guess that's what it was)... I learned later that streetlights have sensors that switch them off for a few minutes when they get kicked, just to prevent that.

Shining a light at the sensor (laser or otherwise) is just the up-to-date version.