Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What it in the world?!?

I was looking over CNI's 593.5 webpage and found they offered a 700mW 593.5 labby a few weeks ago.

I check it a few days later and they now offer up to 800mW of 593.5 light, YES 800mW!
10501-cni.png

Me being the curious person I have have a few questions:
-Can 800mW of 593.5 be air-cooled and not overheat? Or is water needed at such high powers?
-What would you imagine the price to be for this guy?
-What kind of output power are we talking as far as diode pumping into the crystals? 20W's? 80W's?

Anyone else amazed?

-Alex

I think yes it could be air cooled. I predict $20,000+ price. I can only gess about the power of the pump diode.

Alan

ARG

Just air. They have two small 40mm screamers on the back of those heads.
Kqnez2V.jpg

I've used a laser in the same package, and it runs cool at all powers. It can dissipate quite a bit of heat.
My guess would be a 10W pump diode, based on the highest power of 808nm they sell in the same package.

Last edited:
^Yikes, can't imagine the heat these generate though :)

Edit: Almost forgot, is there any use for such high power at that specific wavelength??

Thank you for your answers guys!
-Alex

Last edited:

gozert

Edit: Almost forgot, is there any use for such high power at that specific wavelength??

Thank you for your answers guys!
-Alex

Not sure if there's any use for it, but it would look very cool for sure. Too bad that it isn't portable though.

Why not? 808nm diodes are about 50% efficient. If it's a 10W diode, it'll dissipate ~10W of heat. That's NOT a lot of heat, comparatively. That's about the same as some of the larger blue diodes we use now, and roughly a tenth of a desktop CPU.

Why not? 808nm diodes are about 50% efficient. If it's a 10W diode, it'll dissipate ~10W of heat. That's NOT a lot of heat, comparatively. That's about the same as some of the larger blue diodes we use now, and roughly a tenth of a desktop CPU.

I see where you are coming from, but I always thought 593.5 were 1% efficient or am I mistaken?

-Alex

I see where you are coming from, but I always thought 593.5 were 1% efficient or am I mistaken?

-Alex

It's more like 1-3%. But Cyparagon is not talking about the DPSS process of creating yellow, he means the efficiency of the IR diode itself. Some power is wasted as heat, but even then it's magnitudes less than even a modest room heater. There's not as much heat as you'd think to dissipate.

It's more like 1-3%. But Cyparagon is not talking about the DPSS process of creating yellow, he means the efficiency of the IR diode itself. Some power is wasted as heat, but even then it's magnitudes less than even a modest room heater. There's not as much heat as you'd think to dissipate.

Ah got it! :)

That being said, 800mW's of 593.5 would be a beauty to own seeing how beautiful 2mW~4mW of it is!

-Alex

gozert

Ah got it! :)

That being said, 800mW's of 593.5 would be a beauty to own seeing how beautiful 2mW~4mW of it is!

-Alex

This is really off-topic, but I've wondered for a while. Are you planning to get more powerful lasers than <5mw in the future, or are you going to stay at these low powers?

This is really off-topic, but I've wondered for a while. Are you planning to get more powerful lasers than <5mw in the future, or are you going to stay at these low powers?

For now I plan on sticking with <5mW :D

-Alex

gozert

For now I plan on sticking with <5mW :D

-Alex

At least you won't ever risk running into legal issues haha. I might go for a <5mw LG Rigel someday, since anything more powerful just costs too much.

I haven't really ever owned a laser under 30mw, so I can't really tell how bright 5mw is. Does 5mw 532nm give any kind of beam at night?

At least you won't ever risk running into legal issues haha. I might go for a <5mw LG Rigel someday, since anything more powerful just costs too much.

I haven't really ever owned a laser under 30mw, so I can't really tell how bright 5mw is. Does 5mw 532nm give any kind of beam at night?

I can see the beam on my Anser at night, it isn't very noticeable but it's there. At night inside my room it's can sometimes be pretty bright depending on the amount of dust :D

The Rigel is an awesome laser. I don't own the Rigel itself, but the GLP 593.5 which is basically the same thing. You'll fall in love with it haha!

-Alex

gozert

I can see the beam on my Anser at night, it isn't very noticeable but it's there. At night inside my room it's can sometimes be pretty bright depending on the amount of dust :D

The Rigel is an awesome laser. I don't own the Rigel itself, but the GLP 593.5 which is basically the same thing. You'll fall in love with it haha!

-Alex

Going to spend some money on this GB's 589nm first. After that it's time for a 593.5. I'm sure I'll like it!

Thanks for your time!