Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is the OD of an Aixiz housing??

i might put it on a drill press and go at it with a stone or something (if its really bad).

When I say a file I mean a fine needle file not a bastard file (genuine engineering term for a type of course file ;) )... A needle file against it in a drill press chuck would be just the job!

What material is it made of?

It is chrome plated brass

Regards rog8811

Where did you learn that they are chrome-plated? For some reason, I had thought that they were nickel plated.

Also, My first thought for OD was "optical density", as with safety goggles. Which I would guess depends on direction-longitudinally/out the front, the OD would be extremely low; but transverse/from the side, I would say the OD would be extremely high. Outer diameter makes MUCH more sense. ;)

Would .003" gap be too much? would it still make good thermal contact?

I kind of like the idea of under sizing the bore, than just sanding it to a fit. But when doing it by hand, it’s hard to keep the hole from becoming elongated.

How ridged are the Aixiz housing? Do you think they could withstand being pressed into a .002" undersized hole? The heat sink is only aluminum, and the housing is brass, so the heat sink would be softer, plus there would be thermal grease all over it which would help keep friction to a minimum. And their only $5, so if I screw one up its not a big deal.

k-shell said:
Do you think they could withstand being pressed into a .002" undersized hole?

Warm up (heat) your aluminum heatsink & then slide in a cold (refrigerated) Aixis module.
Maybe use a small amount of arctic silver as a lubricant if need be.