Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What Is It... thread for unidentified laser optic goodies

Here is a photo

IMG_0010.jpg

Last edited:

diachi

Re: Kind sirs, please tell me how a twin PBS is used

Any chance of a closer picture?

Unfortunately no, I am googling but no hits

Looks like it's made from many segments.

It looks like a light engine part made to split RGB, I have a bigger one out of a DLP TV that looks a lot like it, it's a beam splitter prism maybe?

250px-Dichroic-prism.svg.png

Last edited:

Ok this may be better

Click to Enlarge

I think it is just two cubes except joined by a triangle center piece but how it works?

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

It almost loojs like one larger triangular prism with one smaller prism on each side of it. You can almost see the diagonal lines coming up from the bottom corners.

Last edited:

Looks like it's made from many segments.

It looks like a light engine part made to split RGB, I have a bigger one out of a DLP TV that looks a lot like it, it's a beam splitter prism maybe?

250px-Dichroic-prism.svg.png

I think that's a 3CCD prism, not DLP. That's why the white light is split into its respective "channels."

Alaskan:

I don't know about the twin PBS. It looks like the center prism is shared by each of the two PBSes. Maybe it's designed for light to enter the bottom interface (and then back out) and whatever light of the wrong polarization allows the beam to be measured? It doesn't look very useful for beam combining if that's what you're looking for.

Notice how it is also split length-ways. The original photo shows this better and the tops are coated with a red reflective coating. This is more complex than two PBS cubes joined with a prism.

It has this number on it: NBICS-0-4. I found that NBICS is an acronym for Nano, Bio, Info, Cogno, Synthetic bio and believe this must have been used in a piece of medical/ biochemical instrumentation.

Thank you guys, I was hoping it was a way to add more beams coaxially than a single cube, I tried to contact the manufacturer with an attached photo but they reflected the email with a statement that they only accept pdf docs due to web security.

If I were you I would take a lower power laser (like the 303 or something, even lower if you own) and shine through the different faces, and create/draw an input/output map of where the light goes. Fog should help visualize it. This is what I do when I find unfamiliar optical components in dvd trays or projectors:D Just be sure to wear safety glasses and maybe even place your hand in front of a surface on the optic that is facing you

It won't give you every detail about it but it might help a little.

(assuming you have the thing in your possession)

Trying to get a response from them, will try again after I find a way to convert the photo to PDF. l already emailed them yesterday but they reject all emails with photo attachments, only accept PDF. I don' have the part in hand. My laptop died, now using an iPad I brought to Iraq as a backup, if my notebook were working, no problem.

I have drawn how I think it might be designed to work, if so, my thought is the purpose is to make parallel alignment more precise in regards to the two, except I see two layers of structure for the ends, or perhaps AR coating differences which make the function more complex.

IMG_0014.jpg

Last edited:

Found they were made for a telecom company 1500-1600nm, fiber.

That's great. How, exactly do they use them? I was curious when I looked at it closely. I have a fiber optic cable I bought for my spectrometer that is a meter long and has a Y input, of two sources. I wonder if it is used like that to combine the two fiber optic cables? Or, maybe it is used some other way.

Last edited:
What is it thread

All I know more is they were made in 2000 for Avanex telecom company and are low loss with a 1000 extinction ratio. I had an offer in for them because they were listed as KTP PBS but later found they did not have crystals joined to them and bowed out.

I changed the name of the thread to make it more generic for questions:

Here's another item I need to ID, all I know is it was part of a Lightwave Spectra laser. Why two crystals with an AOM switch in the middle, I assume to allow controlled pulses as part of an eye laser? Input and output wavelengths? I assume IR input at 808 but due to the long crystals maybe short pulsed 1064nm to make green, but then why two crystals? Perhaps neither guess correct?

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Recently acquired, but on the other side of the planet from me.

Last edited: