Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What Host is Going to Get Your Rocks Off?

norbyx

Obvious that quality does matter, there is no discussion on that matter.
My main suggestion is basically, do something different than everyone else.
I mean a C6 or C8 laser you see by the dozen, you would be competing against too many sellers. 445nm unless you make a 3.5W or someting it just won't stand out of the bunch.
Quality might be a good thing, but also many do quality lasers. So in the end what might let you stand out?
A new (even if expensive) wavelenght, or some new feature that might be atractive, like the one I suggested of various power levels. Probably it is not an easy thing to do BUT that is what it will make it stand out...

If I thought I could get enough buyers, I'd load up on Sinner's hosts and put them out there. But, one of those with a PL520 is going to put it in the $350-$400 range...not sure how many folks are going to pay for that.

I suppose it all depends on what people are willing to pay for lasers.

DJNY

I suppose it all depends on what people are willing to pay for lasers.

+ time you are on the forum, reputation
+ how many builts you sold with happy customers
+ built quality as soldering skillz, handmade individual inner workings, heatsink
+ additional extras like mirror polishing
+ after-built service

There are many factors / parameters influencing the decision of a potential buyer, as nowadays there are a lot of people selling their builts.

This is the reason why guys like lazeerer, DTR.. can change more than others on the face of it same builts. They made many tutorials, showed that building a quality laser is much more than putting parts together the correct order, and builts by them were also checked by other professional builders.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I try to do with each of my builds. DTR has been an inspiration in the threads I try to create. I was rather extensive with my "Khaleesi" thread, and it managed to sell before I even got it LPMed! I have Norberto's kind review on my sale to him. Hopefully, the guy I just sold Khaleesi to will make a nice review thread as well.

I also have a feeling that my build/review threads of Sinner's MS-SSW builds will help lend me a little more credibility as well.

Might eventually build into this:
sku_108600_1.jpg

Already have this standing by for a 520nm build to sell:
sku_152540_1.jpg

Those are some very interesting hosts, BloomPyle. Good luck on your sale build! The problem with coming up with an unusual host, and not being a machinist, is getting heatsinks made...that can slow down your build by a month!

Fortunately, that gold host is the perfect width to snuggly fit a 12mm module, with a bit of epoxy it'll be perfect, it's only a single 10440 host. Biggest problem is finding a driver that will fit, that pill is TINY, the pill is only 12mm in diameter, so I need a driver that can fit in that. It's tough, but it'll be a sweet build upon completion.

I always try to find unique hosts, I don't like seeing the same black C6's and such.

My goal is to buy hosts in bulk then get bulk HSs made every couple months.

Last edited:
That's certainly one way to go. I'm thinking more of the appealing to the boutique demographic...someone who wants a fully custom host, interesting diode choice, etc..
I'm not trying to make a business of it so much as have it pay for my hobby to move into milti-line gas lasers.

We have the same interests! I'm using this as a way to pay for instruments, not having an LPM has been killing me, and I got that. These next few will go to paying off a spectrometer, optical LPM, and the exotic wavelengths I don't have yet (589, 556, 561, etc)

Speaking of multiline, talk to Sam about getting into the REO one window game. They're fun tubes to mess around with, plus the one window aspect lets you use any filters on one side and "play" with lines. Also, a money pit :whistle: However, it's the reason I have 3 lasers doing 594, and 2 doing 604, so where can I complain??

Last edited:
Well, how about that? I just ordered my Ophir today with the money I made from my SAiK build. I have no idea what meter system I am going to use with it eventually. But, now I can meter the lasers I will sell.

I've seen some of those amazing multi-lines....I am still way TOO noob for that yet. I still have a lot to learn about CE and such first. But, I figure the government IS going to eventually make our handhelds illegal, so, to the lab I go! I'll skip the spectrometer for some time. There's folks for that.

My personal collection of handhelds will be kept to 405, 445, 460, 488, 520, 532, 594, 638, 650, and 660...holy shit, I didn't realize it would come to that...maybe best to keep the real exotics for the ArIon..

DJNY

You ordered an Ophir? Offroadfreak is putting his LPM for sale soon :)

Yeah, I placed the order today. I can afford just the head, but not a whole LPM. I still need to figure out how to build an LPM for it. In the mean time, I'll be using my DMM.

The multilines are fun. That initial moment when I put a diffraction grating in front of it and saw 3 dots sitting idly on my wall, I jumped for joy. Literally. I couldn't even send the email saying that it was ML to Sam because I was just too excited. It's a fun game to get in to, but it limits me to about 1 big laser purchase a month.

I'm currently working on yet another ML HeNe project, though she's in intensive care due to previous mistreatment. Apparently it was a soft seal, a shock to both Sam and I, so he's running it through the ringer to hopefully get it working well. Pretty tense few days.

As far as instruments, I like to call my dorm room my lab. And in essence (pardon the and at the beginning) it is just that. I have drawers full of laser parts, HeNes, and PSUs. I've got boxes of parts in my closet, and the my desk drawers have my working equipment. I have a bench-top variable PSU on my desk, and for a while, my argon was there too, then I had to make room for my monitor. It's fun though, passes the time and allows me to do what I want. I like being self reliant.

Last edited:
Well, in that case, when I make the jump to gas lasers, I hope you wont mind me pestering you with questions.

I'll answer to the best of my ability, but I'm only versed in HeNes. In the argon realm I'm still pretty new. I have one, but I couldn't tell you much about it.