Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What happend?

Have you noticed this as well?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This forum used to have a lot more activity, tons of people selling stuff in the BST section, and all sorts of discussions. It seems to be very little activity now. Anyone else noticed this? I only pop in every once in awhile so I'm not sure if this is a recent thing or a gradual decline. Let me know your thoughts.

Edit :
I also just noticed the donations are only at $3. It used to meet the goal every month didn't it?

Last edited:

It's all because of Alaskan, he's run off all the activity. Just by chance, I'd like to know if you are active in other groups too, or is LPF it? Maybe that other group has sucked away too much activity because they were permitted to draw from this group? I can guarantee, more activity there will result in less here.

It's all because of Alaskan, he's run off all the activity. Just by chance, I'd like to know if you are active in other groups too, or is LPF it? Maybe that other group has sucked away too much activity because they were permitted to draw from this group? I can guarantee, more activity there will result in less here.

Only LPF, I have not tried the forbidden discord I have heard of. But it's not just that, there used to be new members all the time asking for advice and such. I'm not seeing that much anymore.

I didn't want to name it, doing so just advertises their group more and although I don't believe that is the sole reason, I do believe the close association we have had in the past has taken a toll on our activity, especially recently due to a few time-outs to get the most fervent members of that group to stop recruiting with open invitations here. In time, I do think things will pick back up, if some folk truly are so upset with all of this, I will leave this forum and maybe some of the butt-hurts will come back. If you look at the history of membership here, just go back 2 years, in any time period since this forum began and you will see a whole new group of people.

Not trying to stir up any drama here, just trying to figure out if the decrease in activity is a recent thing or a more gradual decline.

Some members have made comments about this before, part of the reason speculated is the image laser pointers have been getting with the low brows pointing at aircraft, but I don't think that's a huge part, probably several factors, the other laser forum; PL, has all but dried up completely of member activity. We've had some severe trolling here by CJ which has run off a few members for awhile too, that and my response to it. Can't win, when that stuff is going on, let it stay and you loose, remove it and more comes. We may not see things back to normal for awhile.

Last edited:
Some members have made comments about this before, part of the reason speculated is the image laser pointers have been getting with the low brows pointing at aircraft, but I don't think that's a huge part, probably several factors, the other laser forum; PL, has all but dried up completely of member activity.

Should this forum do a title change by dropping or replacing the word "pointer"? And in its place a word or title that would be inclusive to all persons interested in laser technology. My opinion of the word pointer is it sounds a bit juvenile.

I've wished it was named something else myself, maybe laser hobbyist forums?

I think it just needs more positive publicity. Remember how many people got interested in lasers from kipkay? Lol. Maybe styropyro could help, he had a viral interview recently. People just need to see how awesome lasers are.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
The recent drama has certain not helped, but I think the decline had already started.

All the negative press about lasers over the past few years thanks to idiots shining them at aircraft has had the most serious effect. Lots of jurisdictions have very harsh laws about laser use now that didn't exist years ago. This IMO is the biggest turn off. Hard to enjoy lasers outdoors at all now without worrying someone will call the cops. This has also greatly limited what portable units companies will sell, further restricting the hobby.

Yea, this negativity has driven some members away for a time, maybe months, I don't know, but if I'm part of the perceived problem, or real problem, depending upon how you view it, I better go for a time, maybe a long time.

I have been watching activity taper off for over a year ( my perception ) and I expect it's because there was a big bump in what was available a few years back as well as affordable, but now there's not been anything substantially new in a while. I also notice pl is slow so it's not this drama, that's only a small fraction IINM, but it is not healthy to have abusive persons interacting with members so all is necessary IIHO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.