Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what exactly is mode hopping?

my 100mW green o-like module will sometimes split into two dimmer beams at aperture, usually i can fix this by simply turning it off and back on.

what exactly causes this?
And, is this a sign of bad things to come?

...after my last tragedy of having an o-like module die after 10 minutes of use, i only use 3v CR2's instead of 3.6v

once it starts it never stops. it can be caused by overheating or not being warm enough. more than likely caused by the crystals.

you should notify Susie of O-like to help you with that. But for me all im thinking is, what is your DUTY CYCLE when you use that laser module?

What causes it is a long story if you want to get deep into it, but my first post here was a short writeup I did on mode-hopping. It's old, but there is some good info in it nonetheless. Check the wikipedia link, as it contains a lot of the math and theory behind these modes.

Last edited:
i keep the duty cycle VERY SHORT, i was extremely saddened when my last module died so quickly, so this time i've been doing prob 15 second duty cycles, and only using 3v duracell CR2's, (left over's from all the coleman hosts i had bought)

You did try recharging or replacing the batteries? Less than full batteries can cause mode-hopping..

yeah i never bothered to check the voltage....
i'm not too worried about it, as it prob only happens like 10% of the time, and i can fix it by simply turning it off and back on....

just wondering if this is something that will progessively get worse

It could, but in my experience if it happens it usually happens for the same reasons at the same time all the time, never getting much worse.