Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What does $4,000.00 Dollars worth Of Lenses Look Like ?

This is what $4,000.00 dollars worth of lenses looks like in the new no comprise Zeiss Otus 55mm camera lenes !

Wow look at the thickness of some of those lenses and every lens surface has muti-layered AR coating !

Dang time to start taking apart some Nikon 35mm lenses I have !

Last edited:

GSS

So $4000 is for half of the lenses? How much for the other half?:shhh:

Last edited:

Radim

Interesting. I would like to see some photos taken with it. Of course with both halves uncutted. :D

Last edited:

BobMc

Interesting way to get lens, Accutronitis. Thought about doing that myself. Thanks for sharing that it can be done. Be interesting to see what and where you go with them? :)

Ultra pure optical glass is needed for the dozen different lenses in a camera zoom lens so it can focus all the colors of the visible spectrum in a sharp manner without the yellow being fuzzy while the reds are sharp.

It's a real science to get a good quality image with the entire visible spectrum, you can see it with cheap rifle scopes where that's not what's important, however with photography you can take apart a zoom lens and find a dozen oddly shaped lenses that all balance out it's ability to take clear pictures under different conditions.

Today electronics and CCD sensors can make up for a lot, even my cheap camera has 50 options for the lighting conditions, but the high dollar ones still use a lot of wild lenses.

I was reading this and wonder if some projectors may have anamorphic lenses in them? That could be useful for repurposing.

Anamorphic Lens worth it for 1080P projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Last edited:
Interesting way to get lens, Accutronitis. Thought about doing that myself. Thanks for sharing that it can be done. Be interesting to see what and where you go with them? :)

Hmmmm. convert into a beam expander?

I found something !!!

Two of the lens I recovered can do something VERY COOL ! the first lens is a convexo concave lens and the other is a doublet lens.....

Together they can do something very cool ! first I thought i'll try putting the convexo concave lens here after my DTR G-2 lens and the "Milos" Triple Cylindrical Lens Fast Axis Correction focused to infinity....

So I temp taped it in place like this.....

And then I held the doublet lens in the beam path like so......

And the focal point was around a few inches with the doublet lens around a inch away from convexo concave lens and the beam was converging to a very small point BUT then I started moving the doublet lens away from the convexo concave lens and the fine focal point began to move away from the laser and when the doublet lens got to about the same distance away as shown in the picture above that fine point had shifted to the wall across the room and immediately started vigorously burning the wall and smoke started shooting out, The point was very bright and very small and very dangerous !

If I build them into a slip on lens apparatus that I can slip one tube with one lens away from the other and that apparatus could slip onto my fast axis correction mount I think it could make my Hammer 44 a real adjustable long range burner !!!

Last edited:

Benm

It's a real science to get a good quality image with the entire visible spectrum, you can see it with cheap rifle scopes where that's not what's important, however with photography you can take apart a zoom lens and find a dozen oddly shaped lenses that all balance out it's ability to take clear pictures under different conditions.

Chormatic abberation is a real problem in lenses for photography indeed, and they spend a lot of cost to prevent/mitigate that.

If you want to use the lens in a laser system, for example as a beam expander, this does not matter at all though since the light is monochomatic... so even a lens system with the worst chromatic abberation would serve you just fine in that application, even if it was so bad you could not take a decent photo with it.

Optical systems designed for laser use could be terrible for photography too, the goals of the design are just totally different.

Here is a video (sorry my video cam sucks) of me focusing it by hand and it's hard to keep a focus with the thought of a 44's beam so close to my fingers so I kept moving around but every time you see red that means there is a flame present and you can hear the "poof" sound when I get the focus right, I'm against the wall shooting up to the ceiling fan mid way across the room.....

BobMc

I found something !!!

Two of the lens I recovered can do something VERY COOL ! the first lens is a convexo concave lens and the other is a doublet lens.....

Together they can do something very cool ! first I thought i'll try putting the convexo concave lens here after my DTR G-2 lens and the "Milos" Triple Cylindrical Lens Fast Axis Correction focused to infinity....

So I temp taped it in place like this.....

And then I held the doublet lens in the beam path like so......

And the focal point was around a few inches with the doublet lens around a inch away from convexo concave lens and the beam was converging to a very small point BUT then I started moving the doublet lens away from the convexo concave lens and the fine focal point began to move away from the laser and when the doublet lens got to about the same distance away as shown in the picture above that fine point had shifted to the wall across the room and immediately started vigorously burning the wall and smoke started shooting out, The point was very bright and very small and very dangerous !

If I build them into a slip on lens apparatus that I can slip one tube with one lens away from the other and that apparatus could slip onto my fast axis correction mount I think it could make my Hammer 44 a real adjustable long range burner !!!

Wow. Looks like you hit on something there. A homemade BE very nice. There's something about building your own that makes thing special. Pics when your done. :gj:

Encap

Last edited: