Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What did LPF get for Christmas???

Also I hot a frickin' sweet tobacco pipe with some Cherry flavored tobacco from my father in law(just relapsed on smoking again because of all the stress that i have had over the past year/few month. He also gave me some Anime on DVD.
Better pipe than cigs. I always liked cherry tobacco. Best of luck on your SSI.

Hey Red, can you do a setup guide once you get your PWM up and running. I'd be quite interested in seeing how you do it, so I could make one myself one day. Thanks!

You can just buy some PWM boards from ebay with a pot and knob ready to use for around 2 dollars each, remember you want to modulate @ 5v to your driver and 10k is usually fine.

I want to make another laser spiro and mount it all in a box with batteries to be portable, I glue mirrors to brushless fans and use a PWM signal to control the fan speeds as well which changes your patterns and I built my modulators on a project board before as I was adjusting my range, but I may or may not use this RGB, it has a near perfect blue-green mix but the red is slightly different as for beam dia. and I have other things going on, I may not do anything for a while until I have time and am in the mood.

Here's a 3 channel you can use, give it 5v in and set your freq to 10k should be good then you can play with your duty cycle to adjust each lasers brightness, the frequency just needs to be set within the laser drivers acceptable range, 10k is usually good and the duty cycle adjusts your brightness by how long it's on and off during each cycle, it looks steady to our eye, only thing is you have to step through each channel so you might just get 3 individual pot adjustable PWM generators or make your own.

Here are some you can easily use to control your RGB brightness/mix you need to buy 3 of course.

Better yet use 3 of these, they are set to 10K so just give them 5v and turn the knob once connected to your drivers TTL ports, observe the correct polarity.

spiropic1.JPGredcowboy.jpg

Last edited:

GSS

Sorry to chime in between conversation Red..
I also got a little digital scale also and found this laughable.
Aweful pic but this BCR 18650 weighs a whopping 23.7 grams! Maby 1.5 grams more than my Efest 18350:whistle:

I'm now on a roll, as i'm weighing all my batteries..

Attachments

• IMG_20191227_075028.jpg
    IMG_20191227_075028.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 8
I've seen the reports you may have seen too where small batteries are soldered inside and then filled with sand, I wonder if the battery is less dense and therefore lighter with sand too?

GSS

I've seen the reports you may have seen too where small batteries are soldered inside and then filled with sand, I wonder if the battery is less dense and therefore lighter with sand too?
Iv'e taken apart maby 5 or 6 cells over the years looking for the tiny cell within the cell or a sand filled one.:giggle:
Haven't found one yet and really thought I had one because when I shook it I felt a rattle. I just found that they seemed to be made and wound with very little foil..:(
Still have a few ***fires and GTL's that i'm going to break into!

That's awesome Alex!! Enjoy everyday buddie:):):)

Thanks GSS! :D

-Alex

We are both on the same side of the planet now, thanks for the update :) and glad to see you are with family over the holiday.

What’s next after grad?

Hmmm, not exactly sure. I’d like to move away from home and live with some friends for awhile while I get a plan in place and money set aside to go on my own.

I do have an idea of where I’d like to live however! In northern Canada in hopefully a pretty small town where not much happens. I like quiet :D

-Alex

Diachi lives in a town like that, it's so far north everything slows down in the cold temperatures every winter :)

RandomName123

You can just buy some PWM boards from ebay with a pot and knob ready to use for around 2 dollars each, remember you want to modulate @ 5v to your driver and 10k is usually fine.

I want to make another laser spiro and mount it all in a box with batteries to be portable, I glue mirrors to brushless fans and use a PWM signal to control the fan speeds as well which changes your patterns and I built my modulators on a project board before as I was adjusting my range, but I may or may not use this RGB, it has a near perfect blue-green mix but the red is slightly different as for beam dia. and I have other things going on, I may not do anything for a while until I have time and am in the mood.

give it 5v in and set your freq to 10k should be good then you can play with your duty cycle to adjust each lasers brightness, the frequency just needs to be set within the laser drivers acceptable range, 10k is usually good and the duty cycle adjusts your brightness by how long it's on and off during each cycle, it looks steady to our eye, only thing is you have to step through each channel so you might just get 3 individual pot adjustable PWM generators or make your own.

ou can easily use to control your RGB brightness/mix you need to buy 3 of course.

Better yet use they are set to 10K so just give them 5v and turn the knob once connected to your drivers TTL ports, observe the correct polarity.

View attachment 67356View attachment 67357

So I can just buy three of the last one, wire a single cell battery pack to negative onto the RGB board then wire a positive from the battery pack and the RGB board to the PWM Controller and have adjustable power, right? Then just do it for the other two. Sorry for all the questions I'm new to anything that's not a drop in go host or something simple a Altiods can build.

You give the PWM board battery 5v ( I used 5v last time but response can be 3.5 to 5.0 as " ON " ) ..............3 x AA in series should do, it doesn't need much current observe the polarity, it's marked on the PWM board then connect the output of the PWM board to your laser drivers TTL input, one PWM board for each of the three R, G and B TTL inputs, again connect the output marked positive to the TTL positive, then you can turn the knobs to adjust each laser.

Last edited:

RandomName123

You give the PWM board battery 5v ( I used 5v last time but response can be 3.5 to 5.0 as " ON " ) ..............3 x AA in series should do, it doesn't need much current observe the polarity, it's marked on the PWM board then connect the output of the PWM board to your laser drivers TTL input, one PWM board for each of the three R, G and B TTL inputs, again connect the output marked positive to the TTL positive, then you can turn the knobs to adjust each laser.

Cool so I had it right. I was planning to just use three single cell 18650 packs but your right I should use AAs. Thanks for all the help Red!

With the red off and green on I adjust the blue from 1 to 100% and the colors are great, I know it's not a single wavelength but it looks like it is to our eye, from green to blue and everything in between...........maybe I will build the spiro sooner than later, :D

SANY4531.JPG
pwmb2.jpg

Hey Suckpit
I just found that I have some of those little 2 dollar PWM motor controllers and they say 3-35v but I just discovered that mine don't work that well below about 5.5v, also the ground side is switched on those 2 dollar PWM motor controllers and our drivers TTL inputs have a common ground, so don't use the 2 dollar PWM, now the digital ones are switched on the positive side and work just fine on 3 x AAA batts, or you can make your own with rotary pots.

You can use other PWM's that are ground switched just use a separate 3xAAA pack for each.

This PWM should work but NOT THIS

Last edited:

RandomName123

Thanks Red! I'll be waiting for a bit till I go buy everything for it (at least mid Jan) since I'm in the process of moving. So you might be done with yours by then. I'm excited to see some more pictures of yours module.

For an inexpensive RGB it's pretty cool, the blue and green mix and align close to perfect, beautiful beam in the night air, the red beam dia. makes for a little bit of spherical aberrations under some conditions such as smoke and fog, still would make a great laser spiro engine.