Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What are the best science fiction movies?

diachi

There many issues that got glossed over in the Martian, but I felt the biggest one was how he was starving, getting to be skinny, eating potatoes with a side of opiates in one scene, but shortly after the shortage is forgotten, and he somehow keeps functioning just fine for another 6 months! Version I watched had the moment he wrote (.)(.) back to earth, cut out for some reason, but I already saw that in enough trailers.

It's hard to spoil Deadpool... I doubt there's anything you can be told that would do a lot of damage. It's just a lot of fun, and I'm VERY glad they didn't try to make it a PG13 movie. You can watch decent quality streams online for free, just make sure your browser and AV are up to date.

Edit: Didn't watch Gravity... not sure why. Guess I'll watch it this week. Also been a while since I've seen Blade Runner. Independence Day II is coming out this weekend too I think. Idk if I'll go to theater to see it.

Guess we can complain about these flaws all we want, but at the end of the day it is a movie - so it doesn't need to be entirely accurate to be entertaining. :D

Had a feeling that was the case with Deadpool - I'll need to check it out soon then. Got AdBlock on all of my machines, half those streaming websites are literally unusable without it - as are many other sites. I have enough faith in Windows Defender on top of that and sensible browsing/downloading... :whistle:

Love Blade Runner - have a Blade Runner poster in my bedroom - really love the cyberpunk feel. Plus, 80s Scifi, what's not to love? Talking of which - the Fifth Element is one of my favourite Scifi movies and always worth a re-watch. Has a bit of an 80s vibe to it even though it came out in the late 90s - IMO anyway.

Independence Day II? Awesome! Why haven't I heard of this yet? Something to look forward to. Cheers! :)

Last edited:

I forgot the firestarter with Drew Barrymore (1984) which is a great movie
https://youtu.be/q5K1fm56gI8

there is a sequel that is just a good. it was made in (2002) both are steven king movies.
speaking of Mr King the Dark Tower Books are getting made into movies.
Then there is twelve monkeys (1995) Bruce willis is in it. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (2005), Frequency (2000), A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001), The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005), Bad Taste (1987), Cocoon (1985), Attack the Block (2011), Weird Science (1985), Flatliners (1990),Phenomenon (1996), The Rocketeer (1991), Repo Men (2010), Outlander (2008),Forever Young (1992), I Am Number Four (2011)

that is it for now

diachi

I forgot the firestarter with Drew Barrymore (1984) which is a great movie
https://youtu.be/q5K1fm56gI8

there is a sequel that is just a good. it was made in (2002) both are steven king movies.
speaking of Mr King the Dark Tower Books are getting made into movies.
Then there is twelve monkeys (1995) Bruce willis is in it. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (2005), Frequency (2000), A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001), The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005), Bad Taste (1987), Cocoon (1985), Attack the Block (2011), Weird Science (1985), Flatliners (1990),Phenomenon (1996), The Rocketeer (1991), Repo Men (2010), Outlander (2008),Forever Young (1992), I Am Number Four (2011)

that is it for now

Damn, some great movies in there that I had forgotten about - thanks! :D

I try to have my list of my favorite around for reference when I need it

5th Element was great, and not just because it spawned the Lelu tape halloween costume :D

WORST movie I've seen recently was a 720p stream of the new Fantastic 4. I didn't pay for it, and still want a refund.

Did Tremors get an honorable mention anywhere?

diachi

5th Element was great, and not just because it spawned the Lelu tape halloween costume :D

WORST movie I've seen recently was a 720p stream of the new Fantastic 4. I didn't pay for it, and still want a refund.

Did Tremors get an honorable mention anywhere?

No kidding about the Lelu costume :D

Deliberately avoided the new Fantastic 4 - just the pictures alone look terrible. Thanks for confirming!

It was just awful.

I really don't understand why the studios keep redoing origin stories. I mean come on, is there a single person left that would go into an Xmen, FF, Batman, Superman, or worst of all Spiderman movie, that doesn't know the origin? I actually really liked spidey in Captain America btw, but I'm definitely not looking forward to yet another origin rehash. At least this time they got the casting spot on imo.

I said earlier I would post about another movie that Donald Pleasence was in. He played a part in this movie though Robert Duvall was the main character, the movie is THX 1138 made in 1971 and directed by George Lucas. If you never got to see it I highly recommend it.

Alan

I have a had time picking favorites, but these are science fiction movies from my library that I enjoy. I might have overlooked some. Any I should add?

Akira
Back to the Future
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Cloud Atlas
Cloverfield
Contact
Contagion (more like actual science, less fiction)
District 9 (make a sequel dammit!)
Edge of Tomorrow
Elysium
Ender's Game
Ex Machina
Guardians of the Galaxy
Her
I Robot
Inception
Interstellar
Iron Giant
Jurassic park
Metropolis (2001)
Minority Report
Moon
Oblivion
Pacific Rim
Paul
Source Code
Star Trek (2009)
Star Wars
Starship Troopers
Sunshine
Super 8
Terminator 2
The Congress
The Fifth Element
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Island
The Matrix
The Prestige
The World's End
Treasure Planet
Tremors (just the first one)
Wall-e
War of the Worlds (Spielberg)

Last edited:
Don't forget this one.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)

Benm

Maybe something like Event Horizon? Not really sure if that falls in the scifi or horror category though, somehow one of the few movies that managed to scare the shit out of me.

As for the Martian: I did really enjoy watching that. Some aspects of it are not realistic at all, but it's science FICTION, not a documentary.

Perhaps the Divergent trilogy should also be included - pretty decent to watch.

And as district 9 and elysium are on that list already, why not include Chappie? I guess it takes a bit of a south-african mindset to grasp that fully, but it's worth seeing even if you know nothing about south africa.

Yeah I don't like horror movies, but I think I've seen part of Event Horizon. I got Chappie, but it is just too cringey to me. The acting is so bad, even from otherwise great actors.
And I dislike all of the characters except for Chappie, who still is pretty stupid. I just couldn't not include it on my list, unfortunately. I wanted to like it.
The Martian was good when being on mars, but the earth scenes felt boring. I give it 2/4.
I never even heard of Divergent, I need to check that out.

I don't think anyone mentioned this one yet, "Battle beyond the stars" (1980). I fist saw it in 1980 when it was first released, here is an excellent detailed description of the movie: Battle Beyond the Stars B-Movie Review It stared Richard Thomas, Robert Vaughn, John Saxon, George Peppard, and others. Here is a trailer:

Alan

OVNI

Anyone see Timecrimes? It's a time travel movie. I haven't seen it but read good reviews. I really like time travel movies and how they deal with paradoxes. IMDB here. It's foreign (Spanish) with subtitles. I went to find it on Netflix or Apple-TV but no luck. I see links to the entire movie on YouTube but I tried a couple and it's still some sort of PPV. Plus until I get my computer hooked up to my TV, I won't be able to sit through a full length movie in front of my computer. So I took a $10 chance and have a DVD coming from eBay.

So I just found out Star Gate is getting a reboot.

http://www.themarysue.com/stargate-reboot-writers/

Unfortunately everything from the intervening 3 tv shows will be tossed out, which is a real shame. Stargate SG1 was definitely one of my all time favorites.

In other news, haven't seen it, but apparently the new Independence Day movie was so dumbed down that it is flopping in in theaters. Which makes me both happy and sad. Happy because I'm tired of ridiculously dumbed down movies (TFA, last few transformers). Sad... because the original deserved a much better sequel.

No one has mentioned Outland starring Sean Connery from 1981, an excellent SciFi movie, see it if you haven't.

Alan