Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Weird POV effect with 589nm.

I can see which direction I am going now, DPSS will be my next hobby within the hobby. I recently found a bunch of crystals on ebay fairly cheaply which were already mounted on brass holders with TEC's attached, I will be rotating the laser diode with those, I guess, easier to do that for those. I would like to find some nice crystal holders which are mounted inside a tube, or something I easily turn in a mount.

Thank you, I am fortunate to have this kind of help on a rather esoteric technology.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You are very welcome. It is a great area of lasers, and it is responsible for some of our most loved exotic wavelengths. It is expensive though. Cost is the only thing that has stopped me actually making my own.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It hasn't been metered yet, but I can see it reaching 25-30mW when at peak conditions. It is similar in brightness to a 20mw 532, so it has to be within that range. Stability is pretty good considering. Temperature and battery current affects the output power. And sometimes it will run in TEM01 mode. But most of the time it runs in a stable TEM00 state. The Spartan is even more impressive. :)

It hasn't been metered yet, but I can see it reaching 25-30mW when at peak conditions. It is similar in brightness to a 20mw 532, so it has to be within that range. Stability is pretty good considering. Temperature and battery current affects the output power. And sometimes it will run in TEM01 mode. But most of the time it runs in a stable TEM00 state. The Spartan is even more impressive. :)

Man that is impressive!

I've got a Spartan 50 that will do almost 100mW on a good day. I was figuring I could hope for about double the rated 5mW from the Aurora too. Jeez! If I get a consistent 7-8 out of mine I'll be good to go! Anything more than that is just icing on the cake. :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The Aurora and Spartan are known for being overspec usually. You should at the very least get 10-15mW. It all depends on the crystal alignment, temperature, diode efficiency etc. You may get lucky, you may not. The Spartans are amazing in power. If you was to get those power levels in a lab, you would be looking at $$$$'s. :)

Last edited:

joeyss

The Aurora and Spartan are known for being overspec usually. You should at the very least get 10-15mW. It all depends on the crystal alignment, temperature, diode efficiency etc. You may get lucky, you may not. The Spartans are amazing in power. If you was to get those power levels in a lab, you would be looking at $$$$'s. :)

my spartan gets 62 mW it dosen't drop in the cold atleast not visiblly.

it rolled of my bed like 12 days ago. I was like ohhh crap this is never gonna work after falling a few feet onto a hardwood floor. But the LPM didn't change damn tough laser.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes they are tough, but you are still lucky on that one. :) As my spartan must be getting up to 80mW (not lpm'd) and beyond, it is probably more noticeable when it does drop.

80nw is a LOT of power for one of those pointers, wow. I wonder how hard they are pumping those crystals to get that.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Probably around a 1-1.5w for the 808, I can imagine. They are roughly 5% efficienct.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
They are quite surprising. Based on the battery life of a single 18650, I am only guessing that the pump is 1.5W. It may be 2W. But as others have been known to be hitting 100mW at times, 5% probably is about right.

Wikipedia needs updating:

Wikipedia:
Yellow[edit]
Yellow laser pointers emitting at 593.5 nm became available in the last few years[when?]. Although they are based on the DPSS process, in this case two lasing lines of the ND:YVO4, 1064 nm and 1342 nm, are summed together with a nonlinear crystal. The complexity of this process makes these laser pointers inherently unstable and inefficient, with their outputs ranging from 1 mW to about 10 mW, greatly varying with temperature and usually mode-hopping if they get too hot or too cold. That is because such a complex process may require temperature stabilizers and active cooling, which can't be mounted into a small-sized host. Also, most smaller 593.5 nm pointers work in pulsed mode, so they can use smaller and less powerful pumping diodes.[citation needed] New 589 nm yellow laser pointers have been introduced using a more robust and secretive method[clarify] of harmonic generation from a DPSS laser system. This "sodium" wavelength, although only 4.5 nm away from the older 593.5 nm, appears more gold in colour compared to the more amber appearance of the 593.5 nm wavelength. Astronomical observatories use a specially tuned dye laser at 589.2 nm (yellow) to create a laser guide star for use with astronomical adaptive optics.

They say far less power than what is being produced from these pointers.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The 589's have advanced a lot. Never though we would see 100mW in a portable. A lot of things need updating in the laser world now as the technology is moving quickly. :)

A late thank you diachi, I just found your response today, watched the video, very good info, and if Planters ever comes back, I hope to thank him too.

diachi

A late thank you diachi, I just found your response today, watched the video, very good info, and if Planters ever comes back, I hope to thank him too.

No problem ... I keep hoping he posts more videos, the one's he already has uploaded are great.