Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Weird open LOC heatsink.

I've bought a few LOC's from Stonetech in the past, but none were like this. I got this one from a sled that I bought from Kendall. Here are the pics, I just thought I'd share, it just seems odd how the front is open like that.

The bizzare front:
View attachment weird LOC heatsink.bmp

But the back is completely normal:
View attachment normal back.bmp

I'm still gunna use it (replace my dead PHR) I just thought I'd ask if this is wierd to yall. It's weird to me :p

Things

All the LPC sleds use those heatsinks .. they are quite a pain to remove, knowing that 1 slip could shatter the die.

I opened 6 from Stonetech that had their fronts covered, like a dome. It was pretty easy for me to remove this little guy. I don't go all the way through the material, only to where I see gold from the large ring arround it. Then I apply pressure to the sides so that it splits the other side. I don't fumble with trying to wedge it out, that's where accidents happen.

there are 2 types.. one with the "dome" and one without. both are very common for anyone who deals with them on a regular basis.

Benm

Looks like a fairly regular LOC to me...

I usually use a vise and some cutters to extract them, its quite easy do to one you get the hang of it, and no need to file down stuff leaving metal scraps all over the diode.

Morgan

I've had both types in the same batch. Nothing to worry about here. In fact I prefer the ones you show, to the ones with the dome. I have to agree with Benm... Good quality side cutters and a vice. Filing is Soooo last year... :D

M
:)