Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

We lost another company!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
FDA may or may not have something to do with the decision by laserbtb to stop.

So far you can still purchase them all here at this reseller/marketing company: SKY Laser Pointers - High Power Green, Blue, Red and Infrared Laser Pointers Manufacturer with Worldwide Free Shipping

laserbtb/SKY has been on the FDA "red list" since March 2011--See: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_254.html#main

Shenzhen Keyuan Co.Ltd
Date Published : 03/11/2011
Bulan Road , Room 508, Bldg 3; Ke Lun Te Ganti Tech. , Shenzhen, Guangdong CHINA
95 R - - DW General Purpose Laser Products, Non-Medical
Date Published: 03/11/2011
Desc:Sky Lasers Laser Ponter
95 R - - ES Laser Pointer, Surveying, Leveling, Alignment Laser Products
95 R - - EU Laser Aiming Product, Visible, Surveying, Leveling, Alignment Laser Products

You may still be able to get them from : About Us | SKYtech Lasers
They have been on the Import Alert since October 2016 however.

Sky Technologies Inc.
Date Published : 10/06/2016
Floor 4 , Dan Zi Dong Road , Shenzhen, CHINA
95 R - - ES Laser Pointer, Surveying, Leveling, Alignment Laser Products
Desc:Laser Pointer

I just looked at their 1W 520nm 'Portable' series, and they're asking a reasonable $1379 for it! :crackup: :eek: :crackup:

Radim

Maybe this is the issue - they might have high costs of diodes and cannot compete with others. Or the host is made of gold. :D But I like my SKY greenie host more than WL Spyder host.

Encap

I just looked at their 1W 520nm 'Portable' series, and they're asking a reasonable $1379 for it! :crackup: :eek: :crackup:

Maybe that price is out of date----last price on the laserbtb/SKY web site was $644 see;PL 520nm 532nm 100-1000

Hard to figure exactly what is going on with laserbtb--all of a sudden the main page just say gone - "Thanks and Goodbye!"

I did notice sometime ago that the SKY CN web site was just showing safety products -- now the laserbtb main page also indicates same saying "From JAN 2015,we started to be a laser safety products manufacturer, If you are a corporation client,please go to:" see link: skylaser.cn

The CN web site main page at the top indicates the company is Hongkong Keyuan Limited and factory Shenzhen Keyuan CO.,LTD.
Who knows maybe Shenzhen Keyuan CO.,LTD. was sold to the new group and they decided to give lasers a go for a while.
Probably with all the low end laser mass producers of thousands of low cost lasers and prices going lower, demand for their thier better quality but more expensive hand held lasers was getting progressively smaller + increasingly restrictive government rules and regulations about hand held laser outputs they determned they should close that end of the business and stay with safety products.

Would be interesting to hear the whole story from laserbtb/Kevin, or whomever at laserbtb, how the situation evolved and if the FDA red listing the company had anything to do with it or did the general legal limits and restrictions on handheld lasers all of the world in general enter into the equation.

Would be interesting also to know if they are selling their laser production facilities and designs to an entity who will continue making the products once they have finish final deliveries.

Last edited:

Radim

I'm curious about any updates. Hopefully they will deliver handhelds and portables through some other company or at least lease the patent for host to some reliable laser manufacturer. Their host design is somehow unique and would definitely miss on the market.

Edit: Another website they use: http://www.sky-lasers.com/

Last edited:
This is common when your expenses outweigh
your clear profits. It happens....

Jerry

wonder why? i have so good experience from their lasers... :( sad yeah their hosts is why i bought from them not mass produced like those 301 u see on ebay/aliexpress and everywhere.

But whats up with sky lasers is that the same owners but other name??

Last edited:

Radim

I think they are the same company (or sister company/subsidiary). I have this feeling from the past when I was looking on them in terms of whom they belong to. But the lasers are IMO the same.

Maybe laserbtb means b2b (business to business), therefore they might leave b2c (business to consumer) and focus on this as this might be the original purpose(?)

It is quite strange they do not link sky (tech) lasers on their dead web.

kaunak

Wow, I was very surprised to see the message they left on the site when I just went to check my tracking number for a laser I ordered from them. I really do hope I get the laser, now it has me a bit worried. I feel both privileged and sad that I was one of the last to order a laser from LaserBTB. Hopefully I'll get the laser. They've been a top supplier on here for a long time.

Wow. This really comes as a shock. I always thought highly of them. I guess all our BTB Lasers are now collector$ item$. <--- j/k. . RIP BTB.

Reactions: GSS

kaunak

After 26 days of waiting, one of the last PL532-200 lasers to be shipped finally arrived. The first thing I did was test it on the LPM and it peaked around 326mW so I was very happy about that, until after only a couple minutes of using the laser, it dropped down to around 200mW output. After a few more minutes of on/off testing it settled down to about 100-130mW stable output. I'm pretty disappointed about that and I'm kind of surprised because the laser host itself is beautiful, heavy and sturdy. I did not expect this kind of laser to have such a power drop problem, but BTB isn't even selling lasers anymore, so what can I say. At least the IR filter is good and lets almost no IR through.

Does anyone who has a Jetlasers PL-E mini 532 know if they have the same power drop problem? Could someone do like a 3-5 minute continuous power test on an LPM? I'd appreciate it. I won't even consider buying another 532 DPSS unless their rated output is tested to be stable.

Last edited:

Encap

After 26 days of waiting, one of the last PL532-200 lasers to be shipped finally arrived. The first thing I did was test it on the LPM and it peaked around 326mW so I was very happy about that, until after only a couple minutes of using the laser, it dropped down to around 200mW output. After a few more minutes of on/off testing it settled down to about 100-130mW stable output. I'm pretty disappointed about that and I'm kind of surprised because the laser host itself is beautiful, heavy and sturdy. I did not expect this kind of laser to have such a power drop problem, but BTB isn't even selling lasers anymore, so what can I say. At least the IR filter is good and lets almost no IR through.

Does anyone who has a Jetlasers PL-E mini 532 know if they have the same power drop problem? Could someone do like a 3-5 minute continuous power test on an LPM? I'd appreciate it. I won't even consider buying another 532 DPSS unless their rated output is tested to be stable.

Email laserbtb and let them know---is not what you bought, paid for, and expected--should be repaired or replaced at their expense or alternatively they might offer a partial credit refund.

JetLasers are always over spec so after years of use they still meet spec--they don't have powerdrop below spec. problem like the laserbtb you received

There are a lot of long tests of JetLasers on youtube already--here is a 5 minute test of a 300mW 532mW : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE1P_tcBupk and a 4 minute 38 second test of a 900mW 532nm : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dny05LAkLgI

Last edited:

kaunak

Email laserbtb and let them know---is not what you bought, paid for, and expected--should be repaired or replaced at their expense or alternatively they might offer a partial credit refund.

JetLasers are always over spec so after years of use they still meet spec--they don't have powerdrop below spec. problem like the laserbtb you received

There are a lot of long tests of JetLasers on youtube already--here is a 5 minute test of a 300mW 532mW : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE1P_tcBupk and a 4 minute 38 second test of a 900mW 532nm : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dny05LAkLgI
Wow, that 5 minute test with the PL-E pro at 350mW stable was one of the best examples of what a quality DPSS green should be like. The 900mW test even better.

I was very surprised that the BTB laser has a power drop problem similar to the 301s. We all know they've been very highly rated on here for a long time. Maybe other Btb 532s are like this and people thought it was normal? To be fair, I only did one test with the laser so far. Sometimes after shipping I've noticed some cheaper 532 dpss to be under spec "out of the box" so-to-speak, but they eventually stabilize their output after a bit of use. The problem is the Btb lasers aren't cheap. If the laser is still like this after a bit more testing, I'll be contacting them about this for sure.

Encap

Wow, that 5 minute test with the PL-E pro at 350mW stable was one of the best examples of what a quality DPSS green should be like. The 900mW test even better.

I was very surprised that the BTB laser has a power drop problem similar to the 301s. We all know they've been very highly rated on here for a long time. Maybe other Btb 532s are like this and people thought it was normal? To be fair, I only did one test with the laser so far. Sometimes after shipping I've noticed some cheaper 532 dpss to be under spec "out of the box" so-to-speak, but they eventually stabilize their output after a bit of use. The problem is the Btb lasers aren't cheap. If the laser is still like this after a bit more testing, I'll be contacting them about this for sure.

Every unit is different--luck of the draw and shock free shipping really--could be yours got rattled in shipping --it happens---people have been generally pretty happy with laserbtb 532nm lasers---some a little underspec but not a big drop like what you received

Here is a 7 minute test of a PL-E Pro 400mW 523nm : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZbwSfBE4Fc
Google "you tube jetlasers" there are dozens of videos.

tommy

you guys are so professional.

as a chinese laser seller, i have some views.
the laser market is small and profit is not good enough.
1. laser is a narrow product, it's not as popular as smart phones, or other gadgets.
2. cheap lasers(<5mw) is popular but the profit is too low. high power laser has too many restricts. most of lasers are shipping to US, Europe, the customs are not easy to get through.

and in china there are many ways to get money easily, like investing real estate, stock market. i have seen so many factories bankrupt in these years. manufacturing is a hard way to make money.