Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wavelength Division Multiplexing

Video by username planters, here and on PL

So basically what he's doing is using prisms to combine (not to scale, color difference greatly exaggerated):

attachment.php

Of course, the difference in angle of refraction is so low that you need a lot of distance for these beams to converge. So NO, you cannot put this in a pointer. I think he could do away with one prism though:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Wavelength Division Mutiplexing.png
    Wavelength Division Mutiplexing.png
    4 KB · Views: 291
  • Wavelength Division Mutiplexing2.png
    Wavelength Division Mutiplexing2.png
    3 KB · Views: 219

rhd

If memory serves, this is the basic principal that MBDA uses in their 40 kW laser gun.

I have been following his thread on PL. I am honestly surprised he got such effective results! Pretty cool to see, for sure. I do wonder if it will ever be practical for use in projectors, though.

When you write this method is not suitable for a pointer due to the distance needed, roughly what amount of distance do you think is needed?

That depends on the prism, prism angle, and the distance between wavelengths. Several feet minimum.

Thanks, I could live with three to four feet, but longer than that and difficult to hold up. I once happened upon an article where someone had built a multiplexer out of a fiber optic piece of glass with a bubble in it where the fiber was expanded by heat.

If memory serves, this is the basic principal that MBDA uses in their 40 kW laser gun.

Or maybe not:

MBDA's laser weapon destroys artillery models
MBDA said that its favored approach was to combine multiple fiber lasers in relatively simple fashion, using both a common output aperture and focusing element.

Alternative approaches include coherent or spectral beam combining, but these would require a more complex optical design and would likely prove difficult to achieve with off-the-shelf industrial laser sources.

The link High power Laser directed energy weapons becoming feasible through beam combining technologies has a scheme of the system.

In the prism system it is necessary to take care of polarization and prism coatings. Otherwise the combining efficiency can drop significantly.