Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wanted: IR filters for green lasers

pwnstar said:
[quote author=spyrorocks link=1205346676/60#62 date=1207161248]I wouldn't be too worried about the IR from a ~30mw green, as IR using green optics will diverge quickly and become pretty much harmless after about 2-3 feet.

Im not sure about that... Useing my IR webcam i was able to see a bright clear IR dot on my wall useing my DX30 without a filter. with the filter on i cant see any IR through the camera.
Id put one on anyway
=P[/quote]

I just ordered a DX true 30 green and according to your post w/ your website it does emmit IR.

So who can supply the IR filters? I'd like to buy one :)

thx
-ken

chido

All of the pen style DX lasers up to the 50mW ones are known to have IR filters, DX says they don't because they don't want to get sued in case one of the lasers is missing one. The filters aren't high quality and they do let through some IR but not much, a DX 30 was tested a long time ago and it was outputting only 3mW of IR.
And like Spyro said, the little IR light that gets through isn't collimated and it spreads out like the light coming out of a flashlight. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

sweet. thx chido. now just have to wait 2 weeks for china shipping :/

daguin

Try waiting for something heavy. 60 days is not uncommon.

chido said:
All of the pen style DX lasers up to the 50mW ones are known to have IR filters, DX says they don't because they don't want to get sued in case one of the lasers is missing one. The filters aren't high quality and they do let through some IR but not much, a DX 30 was tested a long time ago and it was outputting only 3mW of IR.
And like Spyro said, the little IR light that gets through isn't collimated and it spreads out like the light coming out of a flashlight. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

AHHH
LOL no, i am telling you this is not true!
some of the "true" pen style lasers have IR filters, but you cant just assume they all have them...

I hope someone can vouch for me on this^^

Some true 30mw do have IR filters. Some don't. Not really a big deal with such a low amount of un-collaminated IR.

murrat

spyrorocks said:
Murrat, received mine today!

Thanks, and thanks for the nice note as well :)

I am happy for all 4 of you and only unlucky one is themonk :(
Next time I'll add some sweets instead of notes for all of you ;D

Send us photos how you install ir filters to your lasers :cool:

SMIDSY

will do- i hope this is good as Im putting it into a torch laser (green ) for a 6 year olds birthday in the next few weeks :)

So no pressure but this will be protecting her eyes :)

SMIDSY

sk8er4514 said:
[quote author=pwnstar link=1205346676/60#63 date=1207162363][quote author=spyrorocks link=1205346676/60#62 date=1207161248]I wouldn't be too worried about the IR from a ~30mw green, as IR using green optics will diverge quickly and become pretty much harmless after about 2-3 feet.

Im not sure about that... Useing my IR webcam i was able to see a bright clear IR dot on my wall useing my DX30 without a filter. with the filter on i cant see any IR through the camera.
Id put one on anyway
=P[/quote]

I just ordered a DX true 30 green and according to your post w/ your website it does emmit IR.

So who can supply the IR filters? I'd like to buy one :)

thx
-ken[/quote]

CC sells really high quality IR filters for $15 i think each theyre big too... tell him i sent you :p

Hmmm...

Before anyone PMs me, I'm not the CC that sells IR filters. I got mine out of an old webcam. Ask your friends if they have an old one, the IR filter is usually the outermost optical glass. Other than that there's always NOVA's here.

Cheers, CC

murrat said:
[quote author=spyrorocks link=1205346676/45#58 date=1207086611]Murrat, received mine today!

[/quote]

I was actually going to keep mine for testing IR output of different lasers, and any new ones I get.

I just figured something out...

Those IR filters can screw into a CNI pen and sit just above the lens, if you screw them in at the top... Im pretty sure they were made for then CNI pens.

SMIDSY

Curiously_Coherent said:
Hmmm...

Before anyone PMs me, I'm not the CC that sells IR filters. I got mine out of an old webcam. Ask your friends if they have an old one, the IR filter is usually the outermost optical glass. Other than that there's always NOVA's here.

Cheers, CC

or theres pseudonomen137?

He sells them!

SMIDSY

spyrorocks said:
[quote author=murrat link=1205346676/60#71 date=1207308846][quote author=spyrorocks link=1205346676/45#58 date=1207086611]Murrat, received mine today!

[/quote]

I was actually going to keep mine for testing IR output of different lasers, and any new ones I get.[/quote]

good idea! post the results :)