Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Want to upgrade my 3W laser

About 5 years ago, my daughter and I built a custom 3W 405nm DTR diode laser. It's a simple setup, with a copper heatsink/diode holder of around 100 grams. It's a simple 18650 flashlight conversion.

I'm using it at work, and frankly, with the new diodes out, and me being so busy, I'd really love to hear from some builders who can swap the diode and driver to get me anywhere above 5W. I need the extra power for efficiency.

The original flashlight build was made with a standard sized board driver, so I don't imagine upgrading would be much of an issue. The heat sink is perfectly prepared for a nice, snug diode fitting from DTR.

Let me know if you're interested in the job. I used to be a regular builder here, but life happened and I got to busy to keep up. You'll see that I have a good reputation here, on the forum.

Did you mean to say it is a 450nm? I don't see you building a three watt 405nm laser with your daughter back then. If it is in that MW-SSW-II host, that is a press fir host with no set screw.

Gazen

Welcome back. What 405 diode did you use to put out 3W? I wasn’t aware that any diode could do that.

Last edited:
Welcome back. What 405 diode did you use to put out 3W? I wasn’t aware that any diode could do that.

there definitly isnt a 3W 405nm we think he meant to say 450nm. although i have to admit i would love to see a 3W 405nm. even if it was a multimode i wouldnt care. :p

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
You guys may not hear back from SBA for a while as his OP was in march, and that was his one and only post since going MIA a few years ago.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
He was back on a week ago, so it's possible that he may reply when he next logs on and sees it.

His posts are spotty at best. I guess he has other things occupying his time now. I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply here.

Gadget

I exchanged some PMs with SBA, and gave him some options to reach his goal of 5W+. This was last week, still waiting on a reply.

Real life takes it's toll on all of us, and he sounded like he's got a lot on his plate right now. Time will tell. If I get a response, his host will be getting a major upgrade with the NUBM44, and either the SXD for around 6W, or a Black Buck for everything the 44 can do.

-G

It's nice to see you posting again, Gadget. I do look for your posts so I can rep you. Hope you hear from SBA when he is able. :yh: