Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Want to try blue (445/450nm), wondering how cheap I can get in.

MapsAndLegends

Hey, so I'm a newbie to lasers, introduced myself a couple weeks ago. Getting kind of addicted to 301/3-style lasers, have bought a few of them via ebay with mixed results, some really nice, some crapola.

I'd like to try an actual blue laser (445/450nm), see what that's like. Looking on ebay it looks like those don't come in the 301/303 size, but most commonly in the form of a silver cylinder with a bunch of parallel rails around it, in the $45-70 range. There are a few other designs with similar prices. OK, so it looks like it's going to be slightly more expensive to get into blue lasers than the rest.

BUT... I just noticed that there are a couple supposedly 450nm blue lasers in the "little bitty pen" form factor, running about $20 --

Does that seem plausible? A pen-style laser wtih a 450nm beam? Cause I wouldn't mind dipping my toe into 450nm with one of those if that's for real...

Many of the 445nm laser use A140 or M140 projector diodes and are capable of doing between 1.5 watts to over 2 watts. But, the one you first described sounds like the common Gatling laser which I would never recommend. They are very cheap and have little heat sinking. I have seen decent hosts with these diodes selling for ~$75.00, give or take.

Yes, I have seen these small pen lasers in 450nm before. They use a single mode diode which is quite low power. The diodes are more expensive than the red ones or the DPSS green laser that are available as 301 and 303 style.

I don't know anything about that particular seller, but that looks like the Thor host which is better than the Gatling. I am skeptical about the 1 watt output power as the diodes used for 445nm are capable of much more power. I can't say which 450nm diode they may be using, so I would ask them questions before pulling the trigger on that one.

Encap

From those eBay links it looks like some sellers use 445nm and 450nm interchangeably. I have a Thor H2 that I got awhile ago to review which uses two 26650 batteries. It is a larger Thor than the M2. These use 445nm diodes.

run3unblockedaz

Hello, I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thank for a tremendous post and an all-round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Many of those pen style 'blue' lasers are actually 405nm blu ray diodes. I've never seen one that was actually 5mW. They're usually 50+mW but still quite dim to our eyes.

I’m aware of Laserland selling some 450nm lasers in that pen style host for around $10. While the quality may be the same, I would trust buying those type of lasers from a trusted seller rather than eBay sellers. :)

-Alex

GSS

I would think of some member builds if your in the US.

I’m aware of Laserland selling some 450nm lasers in that pen style host for around $10. While the quality may be the same, I would trust buying those type of lasers from a trusted seller rather than eBay sellers. :)

-Alex

I've had nothing but good results from buying from Laserland. Though this particular laser was not among my purchases I would trust them to supply what they claim to have for sale. It is possible that in the past few months things have changed there, but seems unlikely.

MapsAndLegends

Oh, just as an update... I did buy the pen style 450nm. It's beautiful. The seller, uf910, has a couple other items of less common frequencies (635 and 515nm), which is interesting, as well as some infrared ones (I don't see the attraction of a laser pointer you can't see, but whatevs).

Might be interested in getting more blue stuff cause it's lovely, but I'm honestly scared of bigger (1 watt) lasers after reading the thread from the forum member who put a hole in his field of view with one.

Oh, just as an update... I did buy the pen style 450nm. It's beautiful. The seller, uf910, has a couple other items of less common frequencies (635 and 515nm), which is interesting, as well as some infrared ones (I don't see the attraction of a laser pointer you can't see, but whatevs).

Might be interested in getting more blue stuff cause it's lovely, but I'm honestly scared of bigger (1 watt) lasers after reading the thread from the forum member who put a hole in his field of view with one.

450 is a nice color, yes, and definitely isn’t in everyone’s collection. Have you considered getting into yellow lasers? Those are stunning! :)

-Alex

MapsAndLegends

I suspect I'm too cheap to get into yellow lasers. I barely found a blue I wanted to pay for. ;)

Hi, You get what you pay for going cheap with Chinese lasers is a gamble . Its hit or miss and luck of the draw. Wish you luck ...
Rich:)