Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Videos from youtube you wish to share.

I remember enjoying the comedy of Ron White, but it seems like that was several years ago. Haven't seen or heard much from him lately, though that good 'ol boy humor has been around for quite sometime. I have always enjoyed the comedy of Lewis Black. He is a Jewish comedian and often parallels Jews and Protestants. He does a bit about the "Old Testament" saying that protestants don't understand it and often get its meaning wrong. He says it isn't their fault though. Because it isn't their book. When you think about it, he's right.

Last edited:

@ GSS : I missed a couple of your questions, the Veyron has disc brakes all around, expensive too.

On a track cars stay to the inside of curves so when the back end starts to kick out you can counter steer, or if your front end starts to push you can chop at the wheel and correct, but they stay to the inside of the curve where as a bike stays to the outside of a curve until they can shoot through the apex, that is when you can see a straight line through the apex you lean hard and shoot through, you can see how track etiquette is different when passing bikes, you have to drive as not to force a wreck, but the real track fast lap winners are the lightweight cars with a good power to weight ratio and good handling, the LM's and open wheel cars are hard to beat, here's a little aerial atom which doesn't look like much but it gets the job done.

Record lap (((( WATCH ))))

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That little Ariel Atom is something else, very impressive, it looked like about the only thing out there that even gave it a run was the vette; I think that guy passed about every Porsche on the track!

I looked at the Ariel Atom site, and they aren't too outrageously expensive, a little over $100,000, and are all custom made for the customer; they are also street legal. :yh:

Last edited:
Yes the atom is attractive, there's also the Caterham 7 and the Ultima Evo but as for bang for the buck you can't beat a bike, well as far as purchase price anyway.

I would love to play at the track but even cheaper is the drag strip, I saw a guy at the drag strip a while back who had a crappy little Honda civic with the biggest turbo he could get under the hood, he was running flat 10's in the 1/4 on a shoestring budget......granted he was pulling spark plugs after every race and the wheels looked like they were going to run out from under it, they would spring back then yank forward when he shifted, I expect all his bushings were shot, but it looked like fun.

Last edited:

GSS

No no Red, when I mentioned the cast iron too I was just being stupid siily:can:
I had just got off Wiki and looking at all of the Bugatti's components, 3 engine radiator's, 1 for the AC, 1 for the trans, 1 for the differential, and 1 for the engine oil etc. and the silicone reinforced carbon fiber disc's:)

Edit: That Atom passed that Vette like it was standing still:can: not as cheap as I was thinking as it can be close to 100G's. Little over 1000lbs and only needs way skinnier tires..
Watched the hybrid Porche 919 and was a bit confused of the boost gauge reading?? Seems it needed boost only on low acceleration, did the hybrid take over at high speed or am I thinking it backwords?:eek:

Like drag racing where the top fuels are now only running 1000ft. due to drivers passing out from all the G's there has to be a limit to the super road cars?

Last edited:
Watched the hybrid Porche 919 and was a bit confused of the boost gauge reading?? Seems it needed boost only on low acceleration, did the hybrid take over at high speed or am I thinking it backwords?:eek:

They are doing something I have thought of many times, using a gas engine to drive the rear wheels and electric motors to assist/boost through the front wheels, my idea was this would work well with front wheel drive cars as most are front wheel drive these days by adding electric boost/recovery to the rear wheels, but in the Porsche it's gas driver back and electric assisted front.

On the Chevy avalanche they build an induction motor into the transmission case...that will be costly to repair thanks GM, but in short it's electric motor boost, so when the gas engine is at lower RPM you'll see the electric motor come in to help after an upshift or when coming of the brakes. :beer:

----edit----
It looks like it uses mostly the energy from regenerative braking to boost right after it has collected it because you see braking then boost that fades away, so they are using is it as an energy spring. They do convert exhaust heat to electricity, I wonder how much they get, also remember they want low weight and the demand is high, not like city driving, this is another big driver of battery technology.

-----------------------------------------------------------EDIT--------------------------------------------------------

All electric car sets pikes peak record. WOW!!!

Last edited:
That's such a bad idea, I saw it hit the windows of a home at short distance, they are endangering people and 2 hobbies all at once, going to flag this one.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey Red, that Pikes Peak run was awesome; that is not the course that you would ever want to over shoot a corner on! :eek:
I wonder how many people can say that they've raced in the clouds?

It seems like we're going to have to re-define our idea of what the sound of a high performance car is, in the second video that car sounds like it's jet powered. :yh:

Edit: I've got to agree with you on the drone video, it's just wrong on every level!

Last edited:
I've been up Pike's Peak many times. It is just outside Colorado Springs. Last time I was there they did laser shows at night. If you ever find yourself in the area, it is worth going up there. It is also close to Cheyenne Mountain which has the highest elevation zoo, either in the US or the world. I'm not so sure which that is.

Last edited:
Hey Red, that Pikes Peak run was awesome; that is not the course that you would ever want to over shoot a corner on! :eek:
I wonder how many people can say that they've raced in the clouds?

It seems like we're going to have to re-define our idea of what the sound of a high performance car is, in the second video that car sounds like it's jet powered. :yh:

Edit: I've got to agree with you on the drone video, it's just wrong on every level!

They had a car alarm on it so people would hear it coming in time to look, the traction control and acceleration were great, tomorrows AWD electrics will be great, not that the Tesla X isn't great, but affordable electrics will be very good and quiet, maybe too quiet for pedestrian safety, people will have to take their heads out of the cell phones and pay attention LOL

I've been up Pike's Peak many times. It is just outside Colorado Springs. Last time I was there they did laser shows at night. If you ever find yourself in the area, it is worth going up there. It is also close to Cheyenne Mountain which has the highest elevation zoo, either in the US or the world. I'm not so sure which that is.

Laser show huh, cool. We have shows here at Stone Mtn. park but they don't shoot the tight beams over the crowd into the trees like they used to, the show against the mountain is ok but I miss the powerful tight beams, there wider and less focused now.

Last edited:
Yeah, I went to a Yes concert back around 1977 where they had a laser show that scanned the crowd. It looked to be a large argon from the color, but the beams were about 4 inches in diameter so it was all eye safe. As I recall it didn't even hurt to get hit in the eyes. The laser show they had in the mountain in Colorado Springs was against the mountain too. That was back in the 1980s.

I have built many Michelson interferometers on optical tables to test the ability of it to not vibrate and ruin a hologram prior to using the glass film plates. This is the best way I know to test your holography setup before you use it and ruin a bunch of glass film plates.