Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Video of 12 Watt 532 nm laser - that's not a typo

Occasionally here at Laserglow we see some awfully powerful lasers come through. And once in a while I get to take a brief break from testing and verifying and fixing lasers to play around with them. I didn't get to take any video of the 25 watt 532 nm laser that we had a while back (all I managed to do with it is accidentally burn my finger in 0.1 seconds), but I did manage to get a short video of some sweet, sweet 12 watt goodness, and it's even in 3D!

So here it is. No smoke or fog was added. Fullscreen recommended where possible.

This is the regular 2D version. Watch this one if you don't have a 3D display:

And here is the 3D version of the same video:

(all I managed to do with it is accidentally burn my finger in 0.1 seconds)

I've burned myself, many times, from photonic energy. Often intentionally for "power meter testing" purposes. Occasionally by accident. I even have a few scars on the backs of my hands.

My teenage daughter has suggested I may get skin cancer there, someday. You think there's any validity to that?

Blord

Lol, even the big boys do like burning stuff. It feels like a newbie again. :D

New goal: MAKE IT HANDHELD! :lasergun:

(I know this isn't possible right now)

Last edited:
My teenage daughter has suggested I may get skin cancer there, someday. You think there's any validity to that?

I highly doubt it unless you're using UV lasers. Cancer can only be caused by ionizing radiation, which starts somewhere in the UV and shorter wavelengths. High-energy photons impact the DNA in the nucleus of a cell and do enough damage to alter the DNA but not kill the cell. Lower energy photons don't pack enough wallop to alter the DNA. A lot of low-energy photons will heat, melt, and destroy cells, but you won't get the DNA mutations that lead to cancer. There are lots of ways to get skin cancer but visible-spectrum lasers aren't one of them.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor and my understanding of cancer is rudimentary at best.

AWESOME!!!!! Me want some! :D I love watching that 3D video with the eyes crossed setting! :tinfoil: I you don't have 3D glasses and have a LOT of patience at first, it works great!

want.gif

If i slide my cat across the carpet in the dark, i can see arcs come off her fur onto my hand. It hurts :(

I've burned myself, many times, from photonic energy. Often intentionally for "power meter testing" purposes. Occasionally by accident. I even have a few scars on the backs of my hands.

Not from the effect of the laser, but possible the cell damage from a burn could cause cancer someday, any cell damage would be suspect to cause abnormal cell function. It is not likely but you do not have to have ionizing radiation give you cancer. Though I suspect most cancer comes from a mix of ionizing radiation, it does not take ionizing radiation to miss fold a few proteins or several other chemical reactions that may cause issues. Grain of salt as I am also no expert or doctor. ---
------------------------------------------------------------------------
to OP
I want a 12 W sodium laser, but I would love to have a powerful green as well, someday perhaps I will make one. Them laser safety glasses, what rating and brand is that? If you do not mind me asking? Your 3d vid looks all kinda crazy though nvidia glasses BTW