Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Very General Question

GSS

OK im nervous about this question Im ignorant as a newbie would be Ive been learning about green lasers as for now they are my favorites. Here comes the question in a nut shell? other than lasers used for science or research labs etc. what draws users to the different colors red blue or yellow as examples? What colors are good for what I know users like to burn things or the beam why would someone need the power of something like 500mw or more in a hand held or portible? Is it just because they can Please any body who still has the patients in them to answer this briefly or in general I want to learn some of the beauty of this hobbie. Thx:thinking::eek:

what draws users to the different colors red blue or yellow as examples?

They're colorful. Also, different colors have different divergence and brightness. For example, you're going to see green as much brighter than purple, just because of color perception. There's a helpful chart on color perception around here somewhere... I just can't find it.

why would someone need the power of something like 500mw or more in a hand held or portable?

Probably just because they can. You can see the beam better and you can scorch stuff.

Hope this helped.
-cutyall

Gun

Colours to some extent are just personal preference, some people enjoy different colours over others! Some colours are rarer than others (yellow for example), so then that adds value to that particular colour.

Green is the most visible to the eye, so it's often a favourite. Having 500mW+ just means that the laser has better burning capabilities, and that it's more visible. ALSO more dangerous though.

Hope I could help!

GSS

Colours to some extent are just personal preference, some people enjoy different colours over others! Some colours are rarer than others (yellow for example), so then that adds value to that particular colour.

Green is the most visible to the eye, so it's often a favourite. Having 500mW+ just means that the laser has better burning capabilities, and that it's more visible. ALSO more dangerous though.

Hope I could help!
Thanks both the replays were helpfull Because you can! that I kinda figured and has the power thing who doesent love more power right! I got exicted when my a little over spec 5mw green pointer popped a yellow ballon that i colored a little black spot on with a sharpie it took a while at very close range I assume its over spec cause ive never heard a 5mw do that. I do see so far everyone has a variety of colors in there collections What would the best burners be? thx everyone:thanks:

Gun

Thanks both the replays were helpfull Because you can! that I kinda figured and has the power thing who doesent love more power right! I got exicted when my a little over spec 5mw green pointer popped a yellow ballon that i colored a little black spot on with a sharpie it took a while at very close range I assume its over spec cause ive never heard a 5mw do that. I do see so far everyone has a variety of colors in there collections What would the best burners be? thx everyone:thanks:

Yeah if your "5mW" is popping balloons, then I'd say it's at least 50-100mW (if anyone wants to correct me then go ahead). I believe the best burners are mainly regarded as red and violet, and maybe blue as well.

They're colorful. Also, different colors have different divergence and brightness. For example, you're going to see green as much brighter than purple, just because of color perception. There's a helpful chart on color perception around here somewhere... I just can't find it.
Found this image from aixis website
oscommerce.gif

GSS

Found this image from aixis website
oscommerce.gif
again thanks everyone for the help The chart color chart is nice, and the info. As for my 5mw green pointer its from tmart and its the brightest out of the 3 I have. It will put a tiny hole through a thin black cheap shopping bag like the dollars have and as for the balloon it was also from the dollar store it was yellow but again I put a black sharpie spot on it and i blew it up pretty good The pen laser was allmost touching it> mabey it took 45 sec It does put a nice beam in a darkend room nicer when I smoke at night I cant see that reaching beam but there r street and parking lot lites all around ?? anyone

GSS

this is some helpfull info and sights thanks If your a bit worried I do use caution the more we all do the better for all again thanksfor the charts I was acually shocked that you showed the difference on the green vs the blue But just now i saw an add for the big bang theory and they launched a balloon like a clay disc and Howard shot it with a high powered green laser and popped it was funny cause it was just as i was typeing One good thing about that show is what ever experiements they are doing they all wear saftey equipment thx again:thinking:

Pman

I'm guessing you bought a 3 pack of pens. 1 532nm, 1 405nm and 1 650nm. Be really careful as it's is VERY likely the 405nm is between 60-100mW and the 650nm is over a 100mW. Just because they look really dim doesn't mean they are less powerful than the green.
Which Ebay seller did you buy from? I'm investigating a couple of the overspec sellers I know that ship from the U.S. for free units that they are selling much cheaper than usual to see if they are the same nasty ones I've bought over a hundred of in the past. Will report on them when they come this week. Never seen a lower price if they are legit. Unfortunately most people haven't a clue what they are buying. Can't imagine how many pets eyes have been damaged by them.

Last edited:

GSS

I'm guessing you bought a 3 pack of pens. 1 532nm, 1 405nm and 1 650nm. Be really careful as it's is VERY likely the 405nm is between 60-100mW and the 650nm is over a 100mW. Just because they look really dim doesn't mean they are less powerful than the green.
Which Ebay seller did you buy from? I'm investigating a couple of the overspec sellers I know that ship from the U.S. for free units that they are selling much cheaper than usual to see if they are the same nasty ones I've bought over a hundred of in the past. Will report on them when they come this week. Never seen a lower price if they are legit. Unfortunately most people haven't a clue what they are buying. Can't imagine how many pets eyes have been damaged by them.
It wasnt from ebay All the pens I bought are from TMart The first purchase was for two 5mw green pointers and one 1mw green pointer The two 5mw came in like 3 days they were shipped from the US warehouse. One of these is the one I assume is a little over spec(the balloon thing) The one 1mw took about 3 and a half weeks that come from the warehouse in china It was strong but like i said it in 20 sec it was dead. Just cause they are cheap I got two more 5mw from the US warehouse one is ok the other just dimmed and died in a week. I am waiting for the replacement 1mw that died instantly they said they sent it 2 weeks ago I will let you know how it works if it comes because its from the warehouse in china I hope I didnt confuse you with! Again ive seen the 3 pack tri colors ive thought of it because of the price good to know I never take the green ones out with my cat! she is crazy for the tiny dollar store red keychain ones and I use caution with those.:(

GSS

Im a little disapointed with my new obtronics 75mw green pointer not the pen it feels well built and it says it puts out 79mw I cant see the beam in a lit room thats alot to ask I do understand but it seems its dot is only a bit brighter than my as I believe over spec 5mw green pointer that popped a balloon. mabey the members who quoted my overspec 5mw were right Have to buy balloons dont have one The thing is I could see the laser in my startrek phaser that was modded by tony in a lit room, not super bright but it was there. Now im thinkingv I should of purchased the 100mw. Have to see it at night outside time will tell How much of a difference do you think the lithiom batterys will make?

Last edited:

GSS

just talked to Jack I meant to say optotronics and he told me a few things to try but this pen is underperforming the truth will be tonight or early in the dark morning He gave me his word he would send me another and take of every thing Boy did I wait a long time to be able to get it. I hope bad luck comes in threes. Just venting:cryyy:

Encap

just talked to Jack I meant to say optotronics and he told me a few things to try but this pen is underperforming the truth will be tonight or early in the dark morning He gave me his word he would send me another and take of every thing Boy did I wait a long time to be able to get it. I hope bad luck comes in threes. Just venting:cryyy:

Optotronics pens are nice pens---maybe return it and get the a 100mW for $20 more if the replacement 75mW is not bright enough.

If it were me, I would return it for a refund and get one of these 50mW from O-life--the average output is over 100Mw and are not large see review by guy who bought 5 of them here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f41/thumbs-up-o-like-92548.html

Can't beat 50mW for $25.99 New Rocking High Power Green laser 50mW torch/focusable [OL-ROG50] - $25.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

or 100mW version @ $45.99 New Rocking High Power Green laser 100mW torch/focusable [OL-ROG100] - $45.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Last edited:

GSS

I was thinking about that mabey to step up to 100mw but I might give the 75mw another shot it really should be bright enough for what I need. Ive read enough to believe that A descent beam outside at night and not to overly powerfull plus they do come in a little over spec if i get a good one. Jack has been good to me so far and I dont want to bail on him yet. Its funny the day I placed my order I read about the 2 Olike ones your talking about. Bummer I waited 2 to 3 months to finally get it. Thanks for advice as allways:cryyy:

Encap

I was thinking about that mabey to step up to 100mw but I might give the 75mw another shot it really should be bright enough for what I need. Ive read enough to believe that A descent beam outside at night and not to overly powerfull plus they do come in a little over spec if i get a good one. Jack has been good to me so far and I dont want to bail on him yet. Its funny the day I placed my order I read about the 2 Olike ones your talking about. Bummer I waited 2 to 3 months to finally get it. Thanks for advice as allways:cryyy:

75mW should be enough, right, the only downside is the short 60 sec. on/30 sec. off duty cycle of pens to avoid damage ---15 X the legal limit for pointers of 5mW is powerful compared to that standard. Can cause ocular damge to human and animal eyes very quickly --quicker than the blink reflex of 0.25 second--be careful.