Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

UVEX Laser Goggles!

I might also be interested if we can get ten people together, but I'll just keep an eye on the thread and let you know when it gets a lil further down the road..

Also, do you have a link or what are the red ones he's willing to offer?

Last edited:

tonyt

I might also be interested if we can get ten people together, but I'll just keep an eye on the thread and let you know when it gets a lil further down the road..

Also, do you have a link or what are the red ones he's willing to offer, and when are you trying to have this GB closed up by tony? I know you said weeks possibly months but do we have a time frame by which the offer will still stand?

Please read the original post properly.

I said it WON'T take weeks or months to finalise like other group buys do.
I also said that everything needs to be finalised by the 1ST OF JULY being about 7 days away. Then after that (depending on where in the world you are) people in the US will have them within 7 days. Rest of world will be slightly longer.

ALSO, the other ones aren't red they are blue lenses. They will block the red spectrum Eg. 638,650,660nm etc

Last edited:
Dang that sucks, :( my bad tony. Should have looked at it again, and yeah sorry obviously misread the OP when I was reading through real fast. I really wish I could get in on this, but I've already dedicated myself to the Skylaser GB, and probably shouldn't spend anymore this month. I'll definitely be trying to get in on the next one though if things go well..

tonyt

Yeah, i have been talking with them and am trying to get the 10 price if we only have 5.. We'll see how we go.

Last edited:

tonyt

Last edited:
Don't take offense Tony, it just might be a little rich for most of the members here, even at such a remarkable discount. Clarifying how you have such a strong working relationship might be good too. GB's are usually organized by vets or at least facilitated with the help of more established members.

Thanks for the link Daguin ;)

~ LB

daguin

Ummm.. Thanks for thread crapping dave :yh:

Also,
This is a chance for some people to actually own some professional grade goggles for almost 80% off.
And i know those are OD7 but i can almost guarantee they would start melting after a few seconds from a direct hit. Unlike these.

It's not "thread crapping"
It's called helping the community
I assumed that was what you were doing as well

The number of members that have lasers producing appreciable UV light would be pretty small.
Unless you have a laser that is a source of UV light, I would think that you would be interested in saving yourself $120 as well.

Also, perhaps you should research the product before you begin to "almost guarantee" something.

OEM Laser Systems is a far cry from Eagle

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

tonyt

An old friend/colleague from the states found out through my Facebook that I have found an interest in lasers and has offered me his surplus goggles from his lab.

I didn't take offense I just found it bad form to do that.

And yes, I am trying to help the community, something I try to do as much as possible but at the same time you don't see people suggesting other products on others group buys? Do you?

Also, these aren't rated ONLY for UV? They are OD7+ for 190-550nm and also include IR spectrums..

Last edited:

daguin

An old friend/colleague from the states found out through my Facebook that I have found an interest in lasers and has offered me his surplus goggles from his lab.

I didn't take offense I just found it bad form to do that.

And yes, I am trying to help the community, something I try to do as much as possible but at the same time you don't see people suggesting other products on others group buys? Do you?

Also, these aren't rated ONLY for UV? They are OD7+ for 190-550nm and also include IR spectrums..

OK. We seem to either have some ego involvement here or there is some other piece of information missing

It is not "bad form" here
You should know that by now
If someone finds or knows of a better price for the same or a comparable product, we interject it

I am VERY much aware of the wavelengths these goggles protect for.
The UV coverage is the difference between these $210 goggles and the $88 OEM goggles
That's why I asked if UV coverage was worth $120
The $88 goggles cover the other wavelengths as well

If you are looking out for the community, this should not only NOT be a problem for you, you should welcome the help

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

tonyt

Ego involvement?

Anyway, from the chart on the oem website the difference I see is with the ir? Not the uv? For uv they are rated almost equally? Please correct me if I am wrong? I was also told that those oem glasses will not protect you from any ir leakage say some 532nm lasers would have whereas the Uvex goggles would? Again, correct me if I am wrong?
I certainly would pay the extra to save my eyes from ir.

Don't get me wrong, I am not upset, I am all for helping the community. Which is why I posted this gb. If it falls through I will be getting a pair either way so this going through or not doesn't effect me at all.

tonyt

This is from Uvex..
wavechart_zpsc24e80d3.png

This is from oem..
Graph-ARG_zpsaad502ae.jpg

Last edited:

daguin

Ego involvement?

Anyway, from the chart on the oem website the difference I see is with the ir? Not the uv? For uv they are rated almost equally? Please correct me if I am wrong? I was also told that those oem glasses will not protect you from any ir leakage say some 532nm lasers would have whereas the Uvex goggles would? Again, correct me if I am wrong?
I certainly would pay the extra to save my eyes from ir.

Don't get me wrong, I am not upset, I am all for helping the community. Which is why I posted this gb. If it falls through I will be getting a pair either way so this going through or not doesn't effect me at all.

Sorry. You are correct. My brain probably short circuited from the name. That's what I get for trying to research and teach my 10 y/o grandson what needs done to wash a car ;)

I was referring to the IR light, not UV
I know that people have created a boogeyman about IR light leakage from old or poor quality DPSS lasers
However, it is truly NOT the boogeyman that it is made out to be

So I will restate the question with my brain fart dealt with

Is IR protection worth $120?

I still contend that the vast majority of our members (or users at large) have no need of IR protection.

IR light from most of the pointers in use is low powered and diverges so quickly that it is even difficult to get an accurate measurement from

If the laser is leaking significant IR light then it either should be trashed or should have an IR filter installed

The VAST majority of high powered lasers in the hobby today are diode lasers producing visible light.

The only time **IN THE NORMAL COURSE OF TODAY'S HOBBY** that one needs significant IR protection is if one is working with an IR laser or one is working with gas lasers with the plasma exposed

Now to the "ego involvement" question.
The statement covered BOTH "ego" and "missing information"

You responded defensively along with insinuating that I had somehow hurt your GB
Although I still see some ego involvement, it may be that the "missing info" is more important with regard to your defensive response

From the info I see now, this does not appear to be a "group buy".
You have been offered a free pair if you will help him sell some of the goggles he has on hand
*IF* he is willing to sell the goggles at $210 if you get 10, why would he need to give you a free pair?
*IF* you are getting a free pair anyway, why not just give the source to the community?

See. Something is still missing.
Why would any money need to go through your hands?
If he is simply drop shipping them, then individuals could work with him directly
If he is shipping to you and then you are shipping to others, how will you get them out as quickly as you say you will

You followed that with a vague, un-researched attack on the offered alternative.

It still leaves a strange tingling in my spider senses

Peace,
dave

tonyt

No problems.. I thought that may have been the issue..

And i think you misunderstood me. I am getting a pair either way by buying them! I was just trying to help everyone else while I was doing that. If i got ten people to join great, i then get the goggles cheaper along with everyone else! If not then I just pay my $220 and that's that.
Also, money does not need to go through my hands I would provide everyone with his paypal address and then I would have a U.S member (I am in the process of asking a few people) receive the pairs going to U. S buyers and the rest would be sent to me for redistribution to other non US members.

Lastly, he has offered them to me as a friend, at the same time i am helping him get rid of excess stock and trying to help everyone here with the cheapest pro grade goggles I have ever seen by far!
He is not a seller of any kind and has given me the chance to give all of you the chance to actually own a pair of these.

I hope this calms your spidey senses a little Dave. :yh:
If you have any other worries please let me know.

daguin

Sorry. Something still doesn't add up.

If everyone is sending funds independently and the seller is shipping them independently, then it isn't a group buy.

You are simply acting as an advertiser for him

The "reasoning" for getting lower prices in a group buy would seem to be missing here.
The prices in a quantity (group buy) purchase is that the handling, packaging, shipping , and money transfer fees are lower.
None of those things appear to be in action here

How much would he charge someone that just emailed him directly and sent him funds via PayPal?

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

tonyt

I am not acting as an advertiser, i am helping a friend and he is helping me and therefore LPF.
If say you alone wanted a pair, it would cost you $220+shipping+PP fees through me,. So I assume that would come to between $240-260 depending where you are. If there were 10 people that wanted them then that is $180 inclusive. So, that is $60-80 less.
I asked him what if people were to go through him directly and he said he would sell them for $350 a pair which is what he was going to sell them for before we spoke. So to answer your question, yes it is a lot cheaper buying through this gb.
Do you have any other questions?