Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

UV, Violet, or IR which is best for burning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
445nm packs a lot of power in a 5.6mm frame. but it is only good for burning up close. if you want distance burning go for violet. ppl can light matches and pop balloons from over 40 feet with about 500mw

this is true but it is not really relevant to our hobby because our lenses are nowhere near as presise as lab lenses. and our eyes cant see that small.

michael

"Not really relevant to the hobby"??? must be a balloon popper here.... :( if someone wants to know about the science of lasers outside of lighting matches or amusing themselves by burning insects., then by all means, applaud the curiosity.

The reason we need shorter wavelengths to read DVD and blue ray has everything to do with dot density, if the sinusoidal wave of light is longer than the data dot size, the frequency of errors goes through the roof from distortion. Personally, I find it very interesting that we have maxed out the capabilities of optical data storage, and the limiting factor being the wavelength we can use.

This thread is over 8 years old and all the people posting to it are no longer active here. You are basically answering a question that the person who posed it will never see. Please don't necropost to these old threads. It is a waste of time for anyone who looks here because you made it active again.

he is right.. check back the dates several posts (many times after the necro--more post not knowing and duh!

to be sure you are not just wasting time...

I HIGHLY doubt this member would STILL be into 'burnin' stuffs' 8 years later..

This Thread is dead.. RIP
(its 8 years old)

Ben321

I saw posts here saying that red lasers at a given power level don't burn as well as blue lasers, because red lasers have less per-photon energy than blue lasers. While that is true about per-photon energy, that is already taken into account by the power of the laser. Power is energy per second, so you don't need to separately compensate for the per-photon energy when switching wavelengths. What this means is that a 1W blue laser actually emits FEWER photos per second than a 1W red laser, because each photon of blue light has more energy than each photon of red light. And a laser's burning ability is based directly on the power of that laser. The ONLY thing that can change how well the target can be burned by a laser is how well the the target material itself absorbs the wavelength of the laser being used. Assuming the target material absorbs red light as easily as it absorbs blue light, both a 1W red and a 1W blue laser will be equally capable of burning the target (or not burning it if the target doesn't absorb either wavelength very well).

he is right.. check back the dates several posts (many times after the necro--more post not knowing and duh!

to be sure you are not just wasting time...

I HIGHLY doubt this member would STILL be into 'burnin' stuffs' 8 years later..

This Thread is dead.. RIP
(its 8 years old)
And then along comes the new guy to add to it with anything new... :rolleyes:

And along comes the troll with nothing better to do
Calling someone you disagree with a "troll" is the weakest of weak moves new guy... :rolleyes:

My suggestion, drop the weak labels and come up with a stronger argument... ;)

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Calling someone you disagree with a "troll" is the weakest of weak moves new guy... :rolleyes:

My suggestion, drop the weak labels and come up with a stronger argument... ;)
It's what you are, a troll. And the more I say it the more you realize it which is hitting you where it hurts.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
So you just disregarded the truth and doubled down, I figured as much... ;)
Not quite sure what you mean exactly. I don't speak troll but keep talking and pretend I'm still listening Mr Troll.

Not quite sure what you mean exactly. I don't speak troll but keep talking and pretend I'm still listening Mr Troll.
Hey, I get it, you're not intelligent enough to come up with a credible debate so you resort to an Ad Hominem trying to avoid being shown you're wrong, it's what Trump does when he so often gets caught in one of his obvious lies or he says something ridiculous and it's pointed out to him so he just calls them a loser or fake news, after four years of Trump it's become fairly commonplace... ;)

And then along comes the new guy to add to it with anything new... :rolleyes:
Well to be honest, skijohns reply was a bit troll like, it would be much more productive to give a new member some information about necro posting rather than dishing out the above antagonistic broken thought which a new member may not understand.

Well to be honest, skijohns reply was a bit troll like, it would be much more productive to give a new member some information about necro posting rather than dishing out the above antagonistic broken thought which a new member may not understand.
Fair enough, but in my defense, my comment was more for hakzaw1, which he got, than the necro poster...

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
You have no defense. A troll will flood areas of a forum with nonsense. Paul and skijohn also try to "mingle" with the rest of the forum offering nothing new or relevant. Paul can be a bit better at it while skijohn does meaningless questions and comments. He did this after I mentioned to him that all he does is spam the politics thread. Very easy to manipulate and very easy to foretell his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.