Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Uranium Glass Marbles?

I just purchased a lot of uranium/vaseline glass marbles for dirt cheap off the interwebs since I've seen them listed on a few component websites. However, it will probably be a good 2-3 weeks before I get the opportunity to test them since I'm awaiting components to make a Blu-Ray laser.

Do any of you have pics of them in action with your BR's? Were they worth buying?

jayrob

Here's a before and after...

The 'crackle glass' ones are best!
Jay

Marble1.jpg

Marble2.jpg

Uranium glass marbles are amazing. They glow brilliantly and will provide a great example of fluorescence.

Okay, I think I just turned back into a fourteen year old when I saw those pics.  AWESOME!  Now I REALLY can't wait to get everything together!

The marbles I purchased look crackled, so I should be able to get some cool effects.  Now I just need to figure out what I'm doing with 75 of them...

--

Okay, the other listing is just a Buy It Now. 3x sets left at the same price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140278451129

Let us know the quality of these marbles when you get them. You know, most things are too good to be true, but of course there are some that are cheap and true... (Think: Dildalaser for only $43!!)

Will do.

It looks like someone else already snagged one of the three sets. This is almost tempting to buy out and then resell, but I'm not that kind of guy.

jayrob

I just snagged 100 of the crackle ones to give away with my blu-ray lasers...
Jay

jayrob said:
I just snagged 100 of the crackle ones to give away with my blu-ray lasers...
Jay
Sounds like a great promo idea to me.

I'm just surprised I haven't seen any posts on LPF talking about these marbles - I've seen them mentioned in at least three laser component stores.

jayrob

Yeah... I only saw them a couple weeks ago. I bought a couple and found that they are amazing! :cool:

But thanks for the link! Because I didn't know that you could get 100 crackle marbles for so cheap! I paid $5 bucks a piece for them...

Anyway, with 100 of them, I'll be giving them away with my blu-ray lasers. :)

Apologies to those who already got a laser before I had the uranium crackle glass marbles...
Jay

siop

Just bought a lot of 50. We'll see how these are when they get here. Bought from a diff seller though.

Try buying some uranium ore. Lots of rock shops sell it, and eBay probably has it too. I'd bet that it would glow even more than the marbles.

phoenix3200 said:
Now I just need to figure out what I'm doing with 75 of them...

How about selling them to us? I would definitely buy some if they were at a fair price!

Greenhorn said:
Try buying some uranium ore.  Lots of rock shops sell it, and eBay probably has it too.  I'd bet that it would glow even more than the marbles.

What about pure uranium metal?!

http://www.unitednuclear.com/uraniumnew.htm Or just the ore: http://www.unitednuclear.com/uranium.htm They also sell uranium marbles (as well as many other radioactive things, hence the name): http://www.unitednuclear.com/marbles.htm By the way, free uranium ore comes with an order of the uranium marbles...and I've heard that the plates are very radioactive as well. Probably really cool.

I have bought from this company before (chemicals, not uranium), with excellent results. Everything is very high quality and exactly what it claims to be. Great for chemical supplies, too.

-Mark

rocketparrotlet said:
What about pure uranium metal?!
-Mark

I recently purchased a 1oz. piece of U-238! Expensive, but I couldn't pass that up! I'll be getting it soon.