Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Updated: The Wavelength Thread

kecked

I have 35mw 473nm diode that’s a gball diode. I paid too much for it. Have not put power to it. I’m using the 462nm 7675 in my lumia. Close enough. Very pretty color.

Next I need the following exact diodes 647, 514, 568, 488, 465, 457. Want it for simulated argon/ krypton projector. Would be nice to see my shows as intended. 100mw total Thinking 642, 520, 575, 462. Is close enough.

Are any of the so called 488 diodes the same as the 505 just binned?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Do you happen to know what diode that 473 was and how much it cost. Don't need to know the exact cost, just a rough value will do.
Anyway here is some help.
647nm is easily possible with common red laser diodes, but they are more temperamental to temperature tuning. Keep current and temperature low to reduce the central wavelength.
514nm is doable with both PL 515 and PL 520's.
568nm, no chance yet in diode. Closest cheap DPSS sources are the new 565's.
488nm, well we know there are cheap Sharp's (GH04850B2G) available now at this exact wl.
465nm, you already have with NUBM07E's being best for this wl.
457nm is the lower range of a NDB7675 diode. Would have to keep current and temp low to get this wl.

And the 488's and 505's are different diodes by Sharp. Same with the 495's although there is some crossover due to their close proximity in the spectrum.
Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

kecked

Think like 130.00. I can ask if he has more. I doubt I’ll actually do this. 462 is a great color. Have not looked at it next to 473 yet but I think for me 462 is perfect. I would part with the 473 diode for same I paid plus shipping. Email me if you want it. Have not even opened the package. The data sheet says engineering sample and it’s nichia.

Anybody seen diodes without a cavity. Ie need external cavity to lase? Need one in 785nm. Going lock it to iodine or rubidium if I can get steve to assist. It’s for the Raman laser scanning confocal microscope.
:wave:
Ok thread hyjack over. Getting too good at it.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It not that I need one myself, it's info for the thread. I have a nice 473 DPSS already outputting 250mW of sweet blue photons. Can you provide a link to the datasheet please? :)

I'm not sure about external cavity diodes, but someone here might pipe up. Don't worry about hijacking, this thread is for discussion of wavelengths so feel free.

kecked

I’ll scan it when I get back Monday....be interesting to see if the sheet is authentic though I have no reason to doubt the seller.

Difference it the diode will cleanly modulate without resorting to aom.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Just a note, the sharp 473-478 actually had one in the batch that hit 480nm (mine).

And my 485 is a PLT5-488. Can go as low as 482nm depending on current.

Id be interested to know what the 473 you have is kecked

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks as that is literally the part of the spectrum i'm working on right now. :beer:

Anybody seen diodes without a cavity. Ie need external cavity to lase? Need one in 785nm. Going lock it to iodine or rubidium if I can get steve to assist. It’s for the Raman laser scanning confocal microscope.

Yes I have seen the AR coated diodes at this WL. They go for ~ 1.5k$ each. But you also can use the cheap non AR coated diodes at 785nm in an ECDL setup.

Singlemode

It would be interesting to know where your 473nm diode shakes out in wavelength, kecked. Unless it was a binned diode, it likely won't be 473nm. From my experience with binning the Sharp 473nm diodes, it could be anywhere from 472nm to 480nm. Since you have a good working spectrometer, it would be good practice to set it up and measure its wavelength. That would also give you an idea of how much you could diffraction tune it and to what wavelengths it would be amenable.

CurtisOliver: Would you consider doing something like a candlestick graph spectra of wavelength by price? Maybe scaled in increments of $50, or a logarithmic scale if some of them are -really- expensive in the $1000's of dollars?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I’ll have considered it, but somewhere someone else asked and gave my reasons why I won’t yet.
I’ve had to stick to price ranges for a reason as it started getting impractical trying to find the cheapest source /best value source for each wavelength. Instead I find out what price range you can expect to pay, and for diode sources I give a practical diode solution. It doesn’t mean that there isn’t anything else available or that it’s necessary the cheapest or best power source available either.
Over time I will start adding more and more information including more accurate price ranges. But atm I’m still in the process of filling out this thread.

Alright, cool! And thanks for all the work and reserach you and jnrpop have put into this.

I see you currently have about 4 or 5 price pigeonholes. I am half-tempted to compile a graph based on those 5 units alone just to see a general overview the hi-lo spikes and which parts of the hobby are the more affordable or way out of reach. :)

My first realization of the sudden availability and affordability of more spectra (esp. cyan and yellow) was by seeing those colors appear in people's signatures. So much has finally opened up to practical price ranges!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
If you want a graph based on those ranges, I can start work on one for you. Just give me some time to complete it that’s all.

Nice work, Curtis. Your list is shaping up nicely. Thanks for all your hard work.