Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Updated: The Wavelength Thread

CurtisOliver

I've been working on a comprehensive list of various visible wavelengths.
Mainly because I was interested to find out visually how much of the visible spectrum has been covered. In particular by diodes.

I did search the forum and found that there was a thread that existed already. So I just want to take a moment to reference the original thread on this topic. I was going to post on that thread, but my post would just get lost upon the pages rather easily.

Some excellent work was done by doubleone44 already. Feel free to take a look.

https://laserpointerforums.com/f44/wavelength-thread-94674.html

This is mainly a major update as he isn't really active much anymore to keep the thread maintained.

For now I have included:

Diode (Mainly all CW and room temperature, but with a few exceptions.)
DPSS (Have focused on recorded research and commercial lines, as there are far too many combinations that could exist in this category.)
OPSL (Commercial lines, similar story with DPSS's if fully explored.)
Solid States
Gas
Metal Vapour

I was going to include dye lasers, but they are widely tunable and can cover a large portion of visible spectrum anyway. I might as well colour that combined spectrum in all together otherwise. :p

I plan to make this thread more comprehensive over time. The idea I have is that one day a member can have a specific wavelength in mind, and then come here to find out about it and answer some keys questions such as:

To keep things manageable, I'll characterise the answers to these questions.

What mediums are available in that wavelength?

• Diode (including semiconductor chemistry)
  • DPSS (Syntax: Laser Harmonic (SHG etc); [Wavelength to 1dp.]; (Laser crystal ; NLO crystal) [Wavelength Process]
  • OPSL (Follows similar syntax to DPSS)
  • Solid State (includes wavelength to 1dp and medium)
  • Gas (includes wavelength to 1dp and medium)
  • Metal Vapour (includes wavelength to 1dp and medium)

What is the commercial availability like?

• DIY/Research Only (only seen in research articles, or in homemade attempts)
  • Request/Order based (Not accessible without contacts)
  • Limited availability (Sparse amount of sources available)
  • Widely available (Readily available)

What power levels are available?

• Low (Only seen <5mW)
  • Moderate (Anything between 5-200mW)
  • High (Available at >200mW)

How much does that wavelength cost?

As the major population of LPF is US situated. I will base the price range on USD. I am using the cheapest available way of getting hold of that medium at that wavelength. Obviously, if you are after a higher quality/higher power unit then it will easily make it into another price range. I will also not list exact prices as these change based on several factors mainly due to availability or suppliers catching on to our interest.

• Inexpensive (<$50)
  • Affordable ($50-$200)
  • Costly ($200-500)
  • Expensive ($500+)

Where can you get hold of this wavelength?

If the availability is limited or request based, I will list the most suitable sources of where you can get hold of them. If widely available, then there is no need for me to list a source, as a simple search of Google will help you find them. ;)

Also for a more comprehensive list of diodes available, please direct yourself to jnrpop's thread. --> List of Diodes

Due to the excellent work done by jnrpop, there is no need for me to list every diode. Instead I will list noteworthy options.

Anyway on to the list.

Here are some quick viewing pics for your reference.

And now for a detailed list. If you see anything missing. Please feel free to share and help gather information.
I have tried to gather as much as I can in my spare time. There will be plenty missing still, as I do somewhat have a life. :D

Update - 12/10/2018

Xenforo was not allowing me to edit the list anymore so I have moved the data over to a more user-friendlier website.
To view the Wavelength Guide please visit my website: Wavelength Guide - Hobbyist Laser Encyclopedia

All data has been successfully migrated.

Note: The searchbar does not output any results as the crawlers haven't reached my site yet. Hopefully it will be up and running soon.

Update - 18/10/2018

Added colour conversions and luminous efficacy values to each individual wavelength.

Update - 19/10/2018

Added frequency (THz), photon energy (J and eV) and photon rate (@1W) values to common wavelengths. Slowly more wavelengths will be added.

Update - 27/10/2018

Reformatted existing frequency (THz), photon energy (J and eV) and photon rate (@1W) values. Also now those values have been successfully added to all wavelengths, not just common examples.

Update - 06/11/2018

The searchbar is now fully functional. It can be found at the bottom of every page and it should now be easier to navigate the website.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

Thanks for making the thread a sticky. :beer:

Edit: Updated pics and list to fill 429-437nm gap with diodes.

Last edited:

Nexgen

LPF Site Supporter
Topgan offers diode lasers from 420nm to 460nm in 5nm increments. TG4XX. I have a 430nm with Paul for testing. Measured 428nm by the seller
Any way those will become cheaper soon? BTW, nice

Link to seller?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Great work, Curtis, you've assembled a lot of info. here; this will really be a one stop, comprehensive, go-to thread when you get those key questions answered; thanks for sharing. :yh:
:gj:

CurtisOliver

You’re welcome :)
I liked the old thread when I came across it.
I saw it had potential. It’s a shame the member that ran it became inactive.