Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

*Updated Photos* $16 DIY 200mW 650nm [Pic Heavy]

Thanks, yeah dealextreme dont ship modules over 1mw to Australia, guess i wont be building this :(.

Don't give up! Its not too difficult. Just buy the diode and housing. besides a deal extreme module is too big to fit in here!

If you need help, I will gladly provide it!

Get the flashlight from Dixstreme and the rest from modwerx( you can buy a sled and learn how to extract diodes and a sled is cheaper.) - all legal to import to you.

but you need a few weeks spent reading or will learn the hard way about killing diodes.

then read some more.
GL hk

Once Paypal stops giving me errors I'm going to purchase the host from DX, should be a fun build.

Just a note. I ordered this host again, along with another cheap host for another red budget build. It is NOT the same host as shown. Maybe it is a random grab bag of hosts. But the host has the same dimensions. It is just an aesthetic change. I will try to post a tutorial of this build in depth when I get a diode for it.

Not to nitpick but it's slightly misleading that the $16 does not include the battery.

However the 10440's are generally quite cheap (I've seen them for just over $2 at some places but shipping could be an issue)

Not to nitpick but it's slightly misleading that the $16 does not include the battery.

However the 10440's are generally quite cheap (I've seen them for just over $2 at some places but shipping could be an issue)

... I don't say "$16 DIY laser including batteries". Does an iPod, for example, advertise itself as "$300 plus songs"?

Hy :)
nice build man! Im gonna try it soon!

My calculations for this build:
-LPC-815 Sled ~ 8$
-Dx Laser Module ~ 3.5$
-Dx Host with driver ~ 2.5$
-Dx Protected 10440 ~ 5$
-> 19$! Not bad I think :)

Questions:
Will the Dx module fit?
If not, does somebody knows another cheap host?
Will the Protected 10440 fit?

I'm quite new to lasers :) But I already build an laser with diode out of a cd burner and LM317 Driver :)

Hy :)
nice build man! Im gonna try it soon!

My calculations for this build:
-LPC-815 Sled ~ 8$
-Dx Laser Module ~ 3.5$
-Dx Host with driver ~ 2.5$
-Dx Protected 10440 ~ 5$
-> 19$! Not bad I think :)

Questions:
Will the Dx module fit?
If not, does somebody knows another cheap host?
Will the Protected 10440 fit?

I'm quite new to lasers :) But I already build an laser with diode out of a cd burner and LM317 Driver :)

Hey! Well that's awesome that you're trying it out :) definitely post some pictures and let us know how it pans out!

I can't say for sure if the DX module will fit. As long as its ~12mm you should be able to use it. You may need to make a spacer out of aluminum and then somehow secure that while still remaining electrically connected. But that shouldn't be TOO difficult. and I think Arctic Adhesive would be a good idea to secure it if you have some on hand.

Best of luck :)

ok, thanks for answer. I think the DX Module has the same dimensions..it also looks exactly.
I would prefer to buy it from modwerx..but I would have to pay 30$ only for shipping. I hate it! Why DX shipping costs nothing and this costs so much :(

Questions:
So all I got to do, set in the module, solder the positiv wire to the + driver and I'm ready to go?
In one thread I saw that someone connected the ground-not used wire with the negative..What should I do? Do I have to connect the negative wire to the housing of the host or does it already connects through the module?

Thanks for your help ^.^ I ordered the host..

ok, thanks for answer. I think the DX Module has the same dimensions..it also looks exactly.
I would prefer to buy it from modwerx..but I would have to pay 30$ only for shipping. I hate it! Why DX shipping costs nothing and this costs so much :(

Questions:
So all I got to do, set in the module, solder the positiv wire to the + driver and I'm ready to go?
In one thread I saw that someone connected the ground-not used wire with the negative..What should I do? Do I have to connect the negative wire to the housing of the host or does it already connects through the module?

Thanks for your help ^.^ I ordered the host..

As long as the diode is case negative in its pinout, you just need to make sure it has a contact point on the host's body.

Ok thanks!

I hope my mini host will arrive till nex year :) But unlikely :(

And how do I know which diode is case negative?
I'm going to use a LPC-815 LOC Red Diode..
Now, is it neccessary to solder the not used wire to the
negative one?

Sorry for asking all the questions ^.^

Ok thanks!

I hope my mini host will arrive till nex year :) But unlikely :(

And how do I know which diode is case negative?
I'm going to use a LPC-815 LOC Red Diode..
Now, is it neccessary to solder the not used wire to the
negative one?

Sorry for asking all the questions ^.^

LPC-815 Diodes are case negative. That just means as long as the negative supply of your battery is in electrical contact with the diode it will be fine. You only need to connect the positive pin of the diode to the driver. There are plenty of pinout diagrams for the diode on the internet :)

No problem, asking questions is how we learn!