Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Updated! Firefly 589nm DL Review!

Not usually, but it can happen when it's not aligned properly. I've actually demonstrated it in my realignment thread. :)

But yeah, this is the reason the Rigel is CW, and the Aquarius and the Rigel HV are pulsed. The Rigel is efficient enough it doesn't need the pulsing to get a stable discharge. The others tend to overheat and/or not get full output at CW cycles.

I measured the tail cap current of mine at 2.050A for the duration of a 1min cold start duty cycle. Host temp was 71F at start and 86.4F at finish. Current varied by as little as 13mA throughout the run, and that could be attributed to nothing more than imperfect spring / host contact. At least the driver on these appears to be rock solid. My old Rigel had strange current draw curves.

IsaacT

I think Adam was mistaken about the TEC in these. I don't think there is one. You need all those amps to power just the pump much less a TEC. And it isn't very big host. So where would the TEC be?

Right, I'm thinking it is unlikely there is a TEC as well, simply because a TEC doesn't actually cool anything, it is a heat transfer device, that like an air conditioner; adds heat to the system. If it was TEC "cooled" we'd see a rapid rise in host temperature.

Here's the email snippet from Adam:

Adam @ DL said:
Dear Sigurthr,
Thank you for contact us. all these laser pointers are individually tested properly before shipping.
However power stability is a problem. These yellow lasers are very much sensitive to working temperature and it generate heat.
Since we built in TEC cooling it is still not very stable. it can only be stable for very short time.
[...]
Best Regards

Adam

Dragon Lasers Support

Well if you guys want I can break out the tools and do a partial teardown of one...but I wouldn't think of taking apart a good one... Maybe an extra or troublemaker? Might be an interesting project. But what makes me wonder, would be the type... Maybe it's like my Hercules, and just a small one on only the diode just to help with the transfer to the module casing, instead of foil.

Totally your call, but I certainly would not stand in your way if you are confident you can reassemble it and maintain working condition.

IsaacT

Attn: An adendum has been added to this review to reflect the purchasing experience of Atomicrox which resulted in an unsatisfactory laser and customer service unwilling to correct the issue with the explanation that "none of their products are on spec". Dragon Lasers is no longer a recommended source for high quality 589nm Handheld Lasers.

To read Atomicrox' Feedback, follow this link HERE.