Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

*UPDATE* Problem found LPM or Laser

Pman

Re: Am I doing this right? =)

Well I tried to do what he asked for and I did get the results I personally expected. I tried to think of any variable that might interfere but I'm not him and that's about as controlled as I could make it other than the 4" increase in height. Got to sleeeeeep.

Re: Am I doing this right? =)

Mr Pman should have my laser today. I honestly do think the Laserbee's are being shipped un-calibrated. If so, I will be making a thread about it!

Let's see :)

-Alex

Well, this is quite interesting.

Pman ran my laser when it first got to his house, when the temperature was around 45 Degrees and the output was around 193mW! However, as it warmed up to room temperature it only started averaging around 147mW-150mW so right on spec! Which means my unit likes to run cold.

Should I go ahead and have my Laserbee sent in or was it actually measuring fine all along? My room temperature was around 70 Degrees when measuring!

Hopefully Pman will join in :)

-Alex

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Glad to see that your J/L PLE-Pro is up to spec, they almost always are. :yh:

Glad to see that your J/L PLE-Pro is up to spec, they almost always are. :yh:

Thanks Bowtie!

What sucks is that if you just go above room temperature it will drop below what it is sold as. Is this normal for most lasers?

I was getting a reading of 131mW on my Laserbee when metering it in similar conditions........

-Alex

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
The difference is that your measurement was done with your Laserbee, that may be where the difference is, rather than it being the laser or the conditions.

Last edited:
The difference is that your measurement was done with your Laserbee, that may be where the difference is, rather than it being the laser or the conditions.

Yes. Dunno if that means my Laserbee isn't reading my lasers right or not. I have my 589nm Spartan coming in on Friday. If it reads below 30mW(which it is advertised to do), then I think I'll send it back in to get tested(the LPM).

-Alex

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, as someone said before, you should check the output of various lasers on your LPM.
Yours seems to read a little over 10% lower than Pmans, if all your readings seem low, it's up to you if you can live with it, or have the calibration checked.

Last edited:
Yep, as someone said before, you should check the output of various lasers on your LPM.
Yours seems to read a little over 10% lower than Pmans, if all your readings seem low, it's up to you if you can live with it, or have the calibration checked.

Will do.

Thanks Bowtie :yh:

-Alex

Temperature will absolutely affect the output of a diode laser. Readings need to be taken at a consistent temperature, with everything being tested also in that environment. Take a laser out of the freezer I guarantee you will see a higher reading.

Test the laser again once you get it back from Pman, noting the temperature, having batteries fully charged, and letting the laser reach ambient temperature first. Then you'll know if it's your lpm or not, and if it is, how far off it is.

Razako

Don't actually put a laser in the freezer or a refrigerator. Condensation can ruin it.

Just compare your room temperature readings to what pman got and you can get a general idea of how your meter is working. It seems to be giving readings that are around 13-15% underspec.

Temperature will absolutely affect the output of a diode laser. Readings need to be taken at a consistent temperature, with everything being tested also in that environment. Take a laser out of the freezer I guarantee you will see a higher reading.

Test the laser again once you get it back from Pman, noting the temperature, having batteries fully charged, and letting the laser reach ambient temperature first. Then you'll know if it's your lpm or not, and if it is, how far off it is.

Got it, whew. Thanks IE :beer:

Don't actually put a laser in the freezer or a refrigerator. Condensation can ruin it.

Just compare your room temperature readings to what pman got and you can get a general idea of how your meter is working. It seems to be giving readings that are around 13-15% underspec.

Yeah seems so. I will be getting my 589nm Spartan first so I'll see what I get from it. And once my 650 returns will test it and go from there :)

-Alex

Rivem

I'm glad you found out some direction on the problem. :)
Big thanks to Pman for helping out.

Hopefully, a recalibration is all that you'll need for the LPM if it turns out that the inaccuracy isn't environmental.

Keep us updated since this is awesome info for current/potential Laserbee and Jetlaser customers.

Last edited:
Hahah!

Pman also found that my laser only draws about 657mA of current which seems good..... lol :p I use a 3400mAh battery on mine!

I'll test my 589 Spartan with it and again my JetLasers at 70 Degrees once I get it. If my LPM reads below 147-153mW then Im sending it back to get fixed :mad:

-Alex

Dude...... Thursday is going to suck bad!

Both my 589 & 650 are getting to my house on Friday, ugh! :(

-Alex