Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

UPDATE -- 445nm Pen Laser -- UPDATE

vizp

Very fine build! I like it a lot! Various power level 445s being available seems preferable to me, so smaller pen builds as well as real barn burners are desired, esp. before multi-level powers are more easily put into a single barn burner 445.

BTW, you mentioned classes--do you mind saying what they are? Thnx

daguin

Very fine build! I like it a lot! Various power level 445s being available seems preferable to me, so smaller pen builds as well as real barn burners are desired, esp. before multi-level powers are more easily put into a single barn burner 445.

BTW, you mentioned classes--do you mind saying what they are? Thnx

I am a professor of Human Communication (public speaking, debate, rhetoric, oral interp of Lit, etc.)

Peace,
dave

HIMNL9

For those that want to "parallel" two 10440 batteries, please considerate that the hosts that unscrew in the middle, sometimes have not enough space for left you use the pack with the connections in place (also using flat strips of copper as wires, instead round wires) ..... the ones that have the body with only the end caps unscrewing for insert batteries, instead, have a lot of space, and you can easily build them.

Just take some strips of copper foil (like, from the shielding of old PSU switching transformers, if you cannot find them elsewhere) ..... solder them to the poles that go together, place a disk of fiberglass or hard thin cardboard between the poles, bend the strips, from opposite sides, to the corresponding pole of the other battery, solder them and cover all with insulating tape (kapton tape is the best, but also a pair of layers of common adhesicve tape are ok for a test).

Like in the attached draw ..... only one advice, to follow categorically, if you want that your cells last for a decent time ..... choose cells from the same production lot, and possible new ones ..... the production lot is usually a string of numbers printed in "dot matrix" on the body of the cells, near the other details ..... if you use two cells from the same production lot, there's more possibility that the electrical, internal resistance and chemical characteristics are the more equal possible ..... (i already had a blowed cell from a parallel, using two AA cells from different producers, once that i had nothing other around :p)

Attachments

• 10440par.jpg
    10440par.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 167

Exerd

HIMNL9,

Always interested in seeing new pack designs. Thanks for the post.

daguin

NEW UPDATE 6/25/10
I got some lithium "E2's" today. They were not able to keep up with the current draw either. It looks like this one will still be powered by the 10440. Maybe at closer to 200mA :thinking:

Peace,
dave

jayrob

Hmmm... that's odd that the e2 lithiums did not do the job because I use them in my Phaser builds, and they are great...

Correction: My Phaser builds use e2 lithium AA, not AAA...

Sponge

For those that want to "parallel" two 10440 batteries, please considerate that the hosts that unscrew in the middle, sometimes have not enough space for left you use the pack with the connections in place (also using flat strips of copper as wires, instead round wires) ..... the ones that have the body with only the end caps unscrewing for insert batteries, instead, have a lot of space, and you can easily build them.

Just take some strips of copper foil (like, from the shielding of old PSU switching transformers, if you cannot find them elsewhere) ..... solder them to the poles that go together, place a disk of fiberglass or hard thin cardboard between the poles, bend the strips, from opposite sides, to the corresponding pole of the other battery, solder them and cover all with insulating tape (kapton tape is the best, but also a pair of layers of common adhesicve tape are ok for a test).

Like in the attached draw ..... only one advice, to follow categorically, if you want that your cells last for a decent time ..... choose cells from the same production lot, and possible new ones ..... the production lot is usually a string of numbers printed in "dot matrix" on the body of the cells, near the other details ..... if you use two cells from the same production lot, there's more possibility that the electrical, internal resistance and chemical characteristics are the more equal possible ..... (i already had a blowed cell from a parallel, using two AA cells from different producers, once that i had nothing other around :p)

Thanks! This will help.

Hey dave- would you ever do a single AAA pen host? I think I saw a green one on DX a while back-it would be a bit more convenient and really cool without the spacer, IMO. I have a thing for smaller pen hosts :D

Sponge

Hey dave- would you ever do a single AAA pen host? I think I saw a green one on DX a while back-it would be a bit more convenient and really cool without the spacer, IMO. I have a thing for smaller pen hosts :D

Lol I have one of those, the module inside it is really tiny.

daguin

I would have to see the host you have in mind. If there is enough room for everything, it is just another build.

Peace,
dave

Sponge

Where did you get the side switch for this build btw, and do you just have to hook it up to the driver?