Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

UPDATE -- 445nm Pen Laser -- UPDATE

daguin

What duty cycle limit are you using now that its 170mW?
I'm wanting a tiny 10440 build now. :D Heatsinking mass will suck I know but I love tiny builds, just can't help it. One of these days I need to ram a microcontroller IC into a build to have temp & runtime monitoring.

It's still good to ~45 seconds. I can "feel" the warmth with my fingers at that point. Then I let it cool down

Hey Dave, Thats a great little build. Its nice to see one of these ran at a lower power. If/when I ever get a 445nm I plan to run it at a nice low current. I want 150-200mW max. I just do not like the idea of having one of these running at 700mW+ its just to much for me. Id burn stuff.....like curtans....couch...the cat...... :whistle:
Keep up the great work!
+1
Si

It is very pretty at 170mW. I have my Kryton set at 700, but quite frankly, it is too bright to "use" anywhere but outdoors (and there are very few places here that I can use a laser outdoors :( )

Nice build Dave!
I''ll bet that 2 X Energizer e2 lithium primaries will give the same output as the 10440...
They tend to give a little more voltage than alkalines, with plenty of current available. You will be at about 3.5 volts.
Plus, they will have more capacity even in parallel, than a single 10440.

But still yet, a rechargeable is a good option... :gj:

The only lithiums I had on hand here were "used." I'll pick some more up and run a comparison.

Daguin, what module are you using?
I've found that the "Sure" modules offer better heat transmission to the host in pen style builds than the Aixiz.
The diameter is slightly larger and allows for a better press fit into pens.
In most pen hosts I've tried, the Aixiz modules slip right out the back end.

Of course, the disadvantage of the Sure modules is that they are not threaded all the way down so cannot be used with the high power lenses unless some threading on the lens nut is removed (I'm sure you are aware). But if you are using Aixiz glass or acrylic I guess it wouldn't matter.

This one is an AixiZ. When I use them in these pen hosts, I rough them up and add some solder to the module to "tighten" them up. There is so little metal in these pen hosts that I don't even consider them part of a sink. If it starts to feel warm, that is my limit for them.

Peace,
dave

I had the same experience with a PHR-803T the other day. I put some new batteries in and all of a sudden the laser was putting out about 250mW. I quickly turned it off and opened it up to fix the pot so it was back to its safe 120mW output. Everything seems good until new batteries are put int...

Exerd

Very nice, Dave.

I would like to build a 445nm pen myself.

Now you should make a parallel pack of two 10440s to slip in there. :D

daguin

Very nice, Dave.

I would like to build a 445nm pen myself.

Now you should make a parallel pack of two 10440s to slip in there. :D

Hmmmmm . . . . .

I do have the room in this tube. . . . .

Peace,
dave

Exerd

Like this.

There needs to be a wire from the top negative running to the bottom.

Edit: Silly me, I was not paying attention to the long container holding the cells.

Last edited:
I was assuming it could be seen as an aluminum cylinder of some sort.

A lot of interest in pushing a pen as far as possible. With the additional current of a 2nd 10440 it could be close to 400mW after 405-G-1 no? So little mass in there tho.
I was assuming it could be seen as an aluminum cylinder of some sort.
You could hack together a junky one from thin plastic (soda bottle?) & thin scrap sheet metal or wire + bits of metal. Pressure from the spring in the pen could compress all the contacts if you make it a nice tight fit.

Last edited:
Re: 445nm Pen Laser

UPDATE

I was getting frustrated with how quickly the laser was eating through alkaline batteries. I decided to put a 10440 with a spacer in the barrel.

Peace,
dave

What is the current draw from the cell?

Thats a pretty nifty build, I hope to be able to manage something nice myself.

I hesitate to even point it out since you are a moderator and with a post count like that I am sure you are quite aware of lithium ion battery safety. But, just for the sake of others reading who aren't as versed in such, you are probably approaching 2C discharge rates. Is it a protected cell? I have seen people draw heavier loads than that and be ok, but it only takes once to enter thermal run away.

Curious, how do you think it would respond to the lower nominal voltage of LiFePO4?

daguin

Thats a pretty nifty build, I hope to be able to manage something nice myself.

I hesitate to even point it out since you are a moderator and with a post count like that I am sure you are quite aware of lithium ion battery safety. But, just for the sake of others reading who aren't as versed in such, you are probably approaching 2C discharge rates. Is it a protected cell? I have seen people draw heavier loads than that and be ok, but it only takes once to enter thermal run away.

Curious, how do you think it would respond to the lower nominal voltage of LiFePO4?

True safety information and concern is ALWAYS welcomed.

I have used this configuration to draw higher loads without problem

I am not well versed in the capability of the LiFePO4 battery enough to speculate.

Peace,
dave