Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Underwater (SCUBA) Lasers Revisited

Greetings,

I am a biologist working on Australia's Great Barrier Reef and the World Heritage Daintree Rainforest.

A lot of us use lasers in the forest to show very shy secretive critters and a few of us have weak laser pointers for underwater use.

Recently one friend showed me his powerful blue laser that was waterproof to way beyond recreational diving depth. It burns black plastic and hurts if applied to skin for more than 1 second.

Underwater though, it's still not perfect as the beam is not very tight and blue does not show up very well - particularly around blue coral !

I have spent hours online and found several "underwater laser pointers" including those sold specifically for scuba instructors. However they all seem to be low power (Class IIIa, <5mW) which does not seem to cut the mustard underwater.

I've read the forums here and there is quite a bit of dated chat about this topic but since my friend only got this powerful blue underwater laser recently, I thought a revisit would be nice.

So a summary:

Im looking for a laser pointer that is 100% waterproof.
Current online sellers do exist but power is standard Class IIIa
I know of at least one powerful (20mW ?) laser but it is BLUE.

Ideal: GREEN, scuba rated, ridiculous powerful.

Hope someone can help !

PS. Australia has banned imports of laser pointers. Totally. My friend got his by having it posted as a "pen".

Thanks Kevin :thinking:

I guess I should have found that one myself.

Ummm.. might be off here but is your quick reply an indication of contempt for those products versus others you may prefer ?

ferd19

if your from australia, it will be very difficult for you to get a laser imported to you. Most of the times, people ask for their lasers to come in pieces and sent separately, but i don't know if that would work for you?

I wouldn't bet on any of Rayfoss' lasers (or any other cheap Chinese vendor for that matter) being suitable for scuba use.
You may be able to find some lasers that are designated as "waterproof" but I don't know of any data that has ever been provided for any depth or pressure. The only "diving" lasers I know of are ~5mW. Z-bolt.com sells one I think.

I have a modified flashlight designed for a green laser module (which I have yet to construct and install) that is waterproof but as stated above, I don't know how well it would perform below a few meters depth.
It is a rugged, compact light that might suit your needs. Plus, if you have it custom made you have the advantage of selecting a power level for your needs. There are green laser modules available up to ~150mW for only $100 or so on O-like.com. If you want more info let me know and I will give you some details on how to get one made for you by a machinist here on the forums. ;)

Last edited:

Ash

I have tested a few waterproof high-powered lasers to over 4 meters in depth in sea water (snorkeling). I know of none that will withstand pressures you will find while scuba diving.
The standard Rayfoss lasers (link) will leak at around 3-4 meters.
The o-like waterproof (link), I have taken down to 4 meters without leaking or any sign of water beyond the o-rings.
The generic waterproof (link), I have taken down to 5 meters without any leaks or water in the laser.

I have not tested the new-style high-powered waterproof lasers (green) (blue) yet, nor have I heard of any LPF members testing theirs underwater, so I have no idea the depth this model is safe to.
There are also several other waterproof lasers that I haven't bought or tested:
100mW 532nm Waterproof Green Laser Pointer(1*CR123A Included) $34.36 Free Shipping
This Boblaser one boasts 50meters depth and has a one year warranty, but doesn't have the price: BOBLASER--Green laser pen,Green laser pointer,Blue laser pointer,Red laser pointer

Good luck, and please post back if you end up purchasing and testing one. :cool:

I think RA_pierce has the best/closest option. Which is to basically build a custom laser. All the lasers out there specifically for diving are too weak.

Easiest approach would be to create a waterproof housing with a lens that will not be burned by the laser. Then insert a laser...

For underwater blue is probably among the worst color options... green would work better. ( But you already know that.)

An eghemus host with 532nm diode, encased in some flexible plastic, and a secondary lens... could actually be any host, but I just think the fact that the laser is in water should be used... the water itself can act as a heatsink.

an eghemus host with 532nm diode, encased in some flexible plastic, and a secondary lens... Could actually be any host, but i just think the fact that the laser is in water should be used... The water itself can act as a heatsink.

o rly?? Lol

Anyway, I contacted CNI about a month ago asking if they could possible make me anything special for diving and I got a "Nope" from them so sadly, no high quality ones will be coming ready for diving. :/

Last edited:
^^I'm at a loss, what's so funny:thinking:

Perhaps saying diode was wrong, but the point is green light should be a lot more visible than blue underwater. Or anywhere for that matter... no?

^^I'm at a loss, what's so funny:thinking:

Perhaps saying diode was wrong, but the point is green light should be a lot more visible than blue underwater. Or anywhere for that matter... no?

Yeah I though it was kinda funny :) But um yeah, how deep are you diving?

strik3

when you get to scuba diving depths, wouldn't you also have to compete with alot more pressure as-well? so maybe a thicker steel host might help a bit more to prevent it from crushing from the water pressure?

DrSid

Crushing is really not the problem while scuba diving. Just the seals must be really good, so it does not leak under pressure.

If you have the money, I'd find a high quality waterproof flashlight, and have one of our builders put together a laser for you.

Edit:
Amazon.com: Waterproof Underwater Digital Camera Case Scuba Diving Surfing Swimming Accessorie: Camera & Photo

That would suffice for low depth. With a powerful laser a different lens would be needed...

I have/had that thing and I threw it away. Dont waste your money.

Last edited:
^^^There are plenty of HID scuba diving lights. The biggest issues, and on this I plead newbishness... I don't know that any glass/flashlight lens can handle a high power laser easily.

I was just using that product as an example of the easiest way to make things work... IMO that thing is no better than a ziploc...