Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

tweaking a 400mW green laser

Ammar

lowell said:
My girlfriend says I have an RPL "Rocket Propelled Load". That's all the RPL I need.

Whats that supposed to mean?
Are you promoting your genitals?

English is not my main language.

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=John Lawson link=1234424974/112#125 date=1237834232]you know my RPL 375 hits 565 mw at peaks but its not a 500mw laser its a 375 for almost a minute it stays in the 400-450 mw range but still jack calls it a 375
i really wish you would have gotten a rpl they Rock my third RPL should be here any time in the next week  ;)
What did your wife say about this? :-/[/quote]

i don't know I'll ask her when she comes home :'(
thanks spidey

lowell said:
My girlfriend says I have an RPL "Rocket Propelled Load". That's all the RPL I need. As for lasers, I'll be happy with my 680mW average Boblaser.
Hi lowell,
Not sure about the Rocket Propelled Load your girlfriend gets, but no doubt, Boblaser is giving you a Rocket Propelled Load right in the kisser if you think you're going to get anything from them that actually averages anything above 200-300mw of 532nm for more than 15 - 20 seconds.

bootleg2go said:
[quote author=lowell link=1234424974/112#127 date=1237874519]My girlfriend says I have an RPL "Rocket Propelled Load". That's all the RPL I need. As for lasers, I'll be happy with my 680mW average Boblaser.
Hi lowell,
Not sure about the Rocket Propelled Load your girlfriend gets, but no doubt, Boblaser is giving you a Rocket Propelled Load right in the kisser if you think you're going to get anything from them that actually averages anything above 200-300mw of 532nm for more than 15 - 20 seconds.[/quote]

OUCH :D

lowell

Wow, I was drunk last night :-/ Sorry guys.. However, I see it's still cool to be hating Boblaser ;)

lowell

By the way Bootleg, you MAY be right about the power output, but I guarantee you it will burn shit quickly, and look awesome at night. So, as long as that happens I got what I paid for. I'm still surprised at how many people DON'T WANT this laser to be as advertised. :(

lowell bootleg2go or Jacks the owner of optotronics if in the future you may want to look him up on a purchase he also has the longest warranty availible from any laser company up to 18 months plus if you get tired of say your 300mw averaging rpl 260 and wanted at least 388mw averaging rpl 375 then jack has an upgrade program that rocks

lowell said:
By the way Bootleg, you MAY be right about the power output, but I guarantee you it will burn shit quickly, and look awesome at night. So, as long as that happens I got what I paid for. I'm still surprised at how many people DON'T WANT this laser to be as advertised. :(

He works for optotronics, so he will be a tad biased, but everyone is telling you their gut feeling, and what they believe to be the truth

lowell

As anticipated, both lasers showed up today. I just went home on my lunch break to get them. They both look great, and seem to work well. I barely had time to open them up and check them out. So, I haven't had a chance to test the power. As soon as I get off work I'll be testing and playing with my new toys ;D I pretty much know what the 405nm that Spyder put together for me is putting out (because he already tested it) around 125mW I believe. ;) It will be interesting to see how close to the claimed 680mW the green is. :-?

The truth is, regardless of the laser's power, after looking back on my whole experience with Boblaser, they pretty much suck. >: They're customer service is terrible. So some of you can (and undoubtedly will) say "I TOLD YOU SO". I was just a little dismayed at how many people WANTED to be able to say that.

Anyhow, stay tuned for the power output numbers. ::) can't wait to see my new violet laser tonight after dark :)

lowell said:
As anticipated, both lasers showed up today. I just went home on my lunch break to get them. They both look great, and seem to work well. I barely had time to open them up and check them out. So, I haven't had a chance to test the power. As soon as I get off work I'll be testing and playing with my new toys ;D I pretty much know what the 405nm that Spyder put together for me is putting out (because he already tested it) around [highlight]125mW[/highlight] I believe.  ;) It will be interesting to see how close to the claimed 680mW the green is. :-?

The truth is, regardless of the laser's power, after looking back on my whole experience with Boblaser, they pretty much suck.  >: They're customer service is terrible. So some of you can (and undoubtedly will) say "I TOLD YOU SO". I was just a little dismayed at how many people WANTED to be able to say that.

Anyhow, stay tuned for the power output numbers.  ::)  can't wait to see my new violet laser tonight after dark :)
111-115mW as tested ;)
Possibly more, as i just did a quick test :)

lowell said:
Look, it's my money. If I can afford to buy $1500 laser toys and want to play with them, why does the discussion have to be a moral one about wheather I SHOULD modify something. I paid for it, so why are you so insecure that you can't pass along some information that might help someone with a new hobby or project. What is your problem????

because anyone with general knowledge about lasers should know that ones you exceed even 300 mW with a green laser your satisfied. even so. if you were to "tweak" a 400 mW green laser. what maybe to like a 425 mW there would be:

no increase in burning capabilities
the beam will be just as noticable as it was before (you need 4X the output for 2X beam brightness)

All you will have is:
a modded 400 mW laser that does nothing more than it did stock, just with a shorter diode life and possibly a broken 400 mW laser.

in other words. leave it alone. i have a 100 mW green and im in no hurry to mod it or buy a new one. your lucky to have a 400 mW

lowell

Hey Spyder, it did average around 115mW, but on my Laserbee it actually hit 146mW. :) However, no matter how I try to focus the beam, I can't keep the beam tight enough to see it hit objects at anything over 150 yards or so. The beam divergence is just too great. Is this normal? Is this only meant for up close burning? I figured it would "point" a little further.. :-?

lowell said:
Hey Spyder, it did average around 115mW, but on my Laserbee it actually hit 146mW. :) However, no matter how I try to focus the beam, I can't keep the beam tight enough to see it hit objects at anything over 150 yards or so. The beam divergence is just too great. Is this normal? Is this only meant for up close burning? I figured it would "point" a little further.. :-?

Check out daguin's bluray FAQ: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1219161671

Our eyes can barely see 405nm light, and most people have a hard time focusing on it. It's not the laser, it's your eyes. Completely normal, and to be expected of bluray.

Ammar

lowell said:
I'm still surprised at how many people DON'T WANT this laser to be as advertised. :(

I am not one of them.
I hope you get a good laser.

Are you going to complain if its way underspec?

lowell

Hey doclazer, I appreciate the post. ;) Anyhow, here's my final analysis on Boblaser. I got my "700mW" laser. It wasn't broken, and was in fine working order this time, so that was a bonus. Especially since they sent the replacement laser in the EXACT SAME under protected box again :-/, that had caused the first one to break during shipping. :-?

Anyhow, as many of you anticipated, and as I began to expect, it WAS under it's specified power. Around 485mW. So, I sent a VERY angry [smiley=angry.gif] e-mail. I told them BEFORE they sent out the replacement, that if they knew it wasn't up to spec, just refund my money, and that will be fine. Well, they didn't, and I was pissed. However, I was astonished to receive a response a few minutes ago, with them offering to refund $722 of my $1030 to my PayPal account, and I keep the laser. I am now a happy camper :)

Was it all worth it? NO. Well, it has been a good learning experience here in the insane world of lasers. Hell, laser dealers are worse than car dealers! ;) Well, maybe not quite as bad, you never get a refund from a car dealer.