Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

tweaking a 400mW green laser

lowell said:
I feel better now. Can we start over now? Maybe talk about lasers?

Sounds good.

So, to answer your initial question, modifying a 400mW green laser is fraught with peril and is kinda silly overall. It's much easier and more effective to simply buy a quality 400mW in the first place rather than attempting to squeeze more juice out of a lousy one with the (very probable) risk of destroying it. The ways you can modify a green laser would involve either taking it apart and modifying the driver to output more current to the pump diode (aka a "pot mod"), or by replacing the batteries with higher voltage ones. Usually the pump diodes in these is not the limiting factor, but rather the quality and alignment of the crystal set. Often times the potentiometer on green driver boards is either not connected to anything or does not affect the amperage delivered to the diode. In cases where it does have an effect on current, it's usually foolhardy to do so, as the diodes in cheap high powered lasers are likely already being driven to (near) their max output. Changing the batteries to 3.6v versions rather than 3v versions often has the same effect of overdriving the diode, again, this can be risky though can sometimes net you greater output in exchange for an often greatly reduced lifespan.
All in all, it's much better in the long-run to buy a high quality laser with better crystals, since overdriving a cheap laser is very likely to kill it.
We get a lot of newbies here asking how to pot mod their green lasers, and the answer is always "Don't". There's nothing special about your case except the amount of money involved, so in your case the answer is an emphatic "DON'T!!!".
Again, I'm sorry we came off as so abrasive, but this is really the same answer we give everyone who asks this question.

I'm still not going to say anything until you get the replacement unit. But I will say that you are supporting an unreputable company that pretty much is in it for the money end, and not for the desire of the hobby itself.

lowell

Thanks for the response Lobster. The original 400mW laser that started all this is back in China, and I received a refund to my PayPal account the other day, so I'm happy. The jury is still out on the 700mW. My supposed 300mW red turned out to be more like 175 average. Anyhow, I ordered a 150mW blue diode, that I was hoping to put in the housing of one of my 5mW green pointers. Is this possible? Is there anyone here who can do this the right way? I am willing to pay of course. I suppose I should ask, is anyone here willing to help?

lowell said:
Thanks for the response Lobster. The original 400mW laser that started all this is back in China, and I received a refund to my PayPal account the other day, so I'm happy. The jury is still out on the 700mW. My supposed 300mW red turned out to be more like 175 average. Anyhow, I ordered a 150mW blue diode, that I was hoping to put in the housing of one of my 5mW green pointers. Is this possible? Is there anyone here who can do this the right way? I am willing to pay of course. I suppose I should ask, is anyone here willing to help?
I am :)
It's possible ;)

lowell

Uh, by the way Spyder, IF you were to sell that copperhead, how much would you want for it? Hypothetically speaking, of course... Because, I would pay it, hypothetically, of course ;)

Kenom

If your looking for a red laser at or above 300mw, there's no laser like The Kryton Groove.  My personal Unit is set at 350mw.
Oh and Gooeygus has a laser building/repairing service for $35. Look into it. Very reputable builder.

the thing is, you guys all say 'DONT BUY FROM BOBLASER BLAH BLAH WHATEVER'.... well, boblaser could just as easily start carrying CNI or viasho lasers, which are of good quality.

Everyone doubted the 200mW red from DX when it came out, but it turned out to be a great laser.

Bottom line is that no one has purchased this 700mW laser yet, and while it does sound a bit 'over zealous' no one can say whether it makes 5mW or 1000mW because you just don't know.

If you have this laser, feel free to tell him not to buy it and call it a piece of crap or whatever, but don't give advice on things that you haven't experienced.

lowell said:
Post#67
Perhaps you can imagine my excitement as the DHL trucked pulled up a few minutes ago. I got my box, my laser was in it, I was impressed by it's quality. I put a newly charged battery in, and hit the button, and a weak, "spray" of fractured light spattered on the wall.   :-[ Perhaps you can imagine my disappointment after all this time, to finally get this, and for it to be broken. Perhaps one of you can tell me what exactly the problem might be. I'm guessing the diode broke. The box was poorly packaged, almost no energy absorbing packing materials at all. Just a thin layer of foam wrap. This sucks! :'(

Gee Gooey... it looks like someone did buy a 700mW from good old BOBLASER...  ::)
and the outcome wasn't pretty... :eek:

But then again the lousy packaging for an expensive Laser might just have been a fluke... ::)
and the lens probably got damaged in transit... Not saying it was Boblaser's fault.. ::)
I personally don't know the guy... but wouldn't want to take a chance if I needed a laser... IMO

Jerry

I just spent about 2K on a rpl-450 with 3x expander rated at 486mw (after about one minute). What I dont understand is the price hikes between each 50mw step in power.
I go to bed with my laser. I take it to the bathroom at night when I get up to take a leak. I drive with it hitting road signs. Takes walks with it.
Many people think I am foolish for spending the money on it rather than buying say ........
I have a 3x expander which makes all the difference. I had a rpl-225 without the expander and the beam just spreads into nothing after about 2 miles.
The photon is our future

Attachments

• poppie_065.jpg
    poppie_065.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 96
lasersbee said:
[quote author=lowell link=1234424974/64#67 date=1236021066] Post#67
Perhaps you can imagine my excitement as the DHL trucked pulled up a few minutes ago. I got my box, my laser was in it, I was impressed by it's quality. I put a newly charged battery in, and hit the button, and a weak, "spray" of fractured light spattered on the wall.   :-[ Perhaps you can imagine my disappointment after all this time, to finally get this, and for it to be broken. Perhaps one of you can tell me what exactly the problem might be. I'm guessing the diode broke. The box was poorly packaged, almost no energy absorbing packing materials at all. Just a thin layer of foam wrap. This sucks! :'(

Gee Gooey... it looks like someone did buy a 700mW from good old BOBLASER...  ::)

But then again the lousy packaging for an expensive Laser might just have been a fluke... ::)
and the lens probably got damaged in transit... Not saying it was Boblaser's fault.. ::)
I personally don't know the guy... but wouldn't want to take a chance if I needed a laser... IMO

Jerry[/quote]

I completely agree. I wouldn't buy a laser from 'boblaser' either... haha. But then again, I wouldn't buy one from any of the 'big' US distributors either, but for completely different reasons. (opto, nova, etc etc)

I was just trying to say that no one really knows for sure, so we cant really judge. We can reach a logical conclusion based on experience from other 'boblaser' lasers, but we cant definitively say "it wont make 700mw"

I guess I'm just playing devils advocate. :cool:

GooeyGus said:
[quote author=lasersbee link=1234424974/96#103 date=1236816973][quote author=lowell link=1234424974/64#67 date=1236021066] Post#67

Jerry[/quote]

I completely agree. I wouldn't buy a laser from 'boblaser' either... haha. But then again, I wouldn't buy one from any of the 'big' US distributors either, but for completely different reasons. (opto, nova, etc etc)

I was just trying to say that no one really knows for sure, so we cant really judge. We can reach a logical conclusion based on experience from other 'boblaser' lasers, but we cant definitively say "it wont make 700mw"

I guess I'm just playing devils advocate.  :cool:[/quote]
You had an RPL though :-?
And you have an X50 ::)

lowell

Hey Spider, I finally got the driver. So I now have all the pieces of the puzzle. I'll be sending them out to you to put it all together tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, from the time you get it, how long does it take until you can get it together, and back in the mail? I'm guessing a lot faster than Boblaser. ;)

lowell said:
Hey Spider, I finally got the driver. So I now have all the pieces of the puzzle. I'll be sending them out to you to put it all together tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, from the time you get it, how long does it take until you can get it together, and back in the mail? I'm guessing a lot faster than Boblaser. ;)
Well, i'll probably do it the same day i get it, and ship it out the next day ;)

lowell

Ok Spyder, it's all in the mail, Priority USPS. It should be to you by Wednesday. Try not to laugh to hard at the packaging, ;D I had to use the materials I had on hand, which were bubble wrap envelopes, old Jewelry TV boxes from my girlfriends excessive ordering, :-* and medical tape. It should be pretty secure, and probably difficult to open. :-? I look forward to seeing the final product.