Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tutorial: Blu-ray Laser / Flashlight Combo! - SCHWEET!

jayrob

Tutorial: 445 Laser / Flashlight Combo! - SCHWEET!

We all like lasers... And I'm pretty sure that most of us like a nice bright Flashlight too!

Here's a nice modification that gives you both, in one unit! :D

This is a really nice 'dual' flashlight, in which I modified one end with a laser! :)

The host is excellent quality. The inner retaining rings and so forth. The only thing I did not like was the plastic flashlight lens, but it pops out easily, and I put a glass lens in there...

I like this build so much, that it gets to sleep in my Nova case!

The pictures show my original PHR set up, but I have since upgraded it to house a 445 diode running at 532mA's. It puts out 370mW's through AixiZ 405 glass... :)

DHC%201.jpg

Just make sure to use a nice dust cap for safety!

Accidental 'on' is unlikely, but using a silicone tail cap for an aperture cover is a good safety recommendation...

DHC%2010.jpg

If you want to do this mod, take a close look at this tutorial, because it is a 'case positive' host, and needs to be wired up differently than normal.

* I will sell the custom heatsink needed (with set screw), for $23 dollars plus $3 dollars shipping if you want one. :)
* Please read my shipping policy here!

* Here's the host:
dual head cree, great deals on Sporting Goods on eBay!

The flashlight is very bright. I compared it with my Cree Q5 mods, and it is just as bright. (beam shot below)

It uses 3 X AAA batteries. The stock tail end, is a weak UV light with 5 UV LED's. It has a simple circuit that limits the power on the tail end, so that is another thing needed for this laser modification. To disable/by-pass the circuit. (it's easy to disable - shown in the pictures)

DHC%202.jpg

DHC%203.jpg

DHC%204.jpg

DHC%205.jpg

DHC%206.jpg

DHC%207.jpg

DHC%2011.jpg

DHC%208.jpg

DHC%209.jpg

DHC%2012.jpg

DHC%2013.jpg

Not that you would want to, but in case you are wondering, yes, both ends can be powered on at the same time.

I like this build so much, that It got my Nova case!

Then my X-105 gets to share a case with my Evo Pro...

DHC%2014.jpg

DHC%2015.jpg

DHC%2016.jpg

Hope you liked this project! :)

Click here to see my list of projects and tutorials! :)

Last edited:

Rob

Re: Blu-ray and Flashlight Combo! - SCHWEET!

Wow, sheer awesomeness Jay! You are truly amazing! Great tutorial. I'd like to try my hand at this sometime. :D

jayrob

Re: Blu-ray and Flashlight Combo! - SCHWEET!

Thanks! :)

Glad you like it...

I like bright flashlights, and lasers too! Seemed like a winner!

I chose a very high wavelength PHR and set it at about 120mA's for this build.

Edit: Changed it out to a 445 diode... :D

532mA's/370mW's with AixiZ 405 glass...

I even tested the output power of the laser with the flashlight on at the same time, and it held steady! :)

Last edited:
Re: Blu-ray Laser / Flashlight Combo! - SCHWEET!

Thats great, does that button normally come blue like that, its like this torch was made
for this sort of modification :D

jayrob

Yes, the tail of the host has a blue side button for the clicky! :cool:

By the way, both clicky switches operate very nice on this host...

And as you can see in the pictures, the quality of the host is very nice as well! :)

Next Up: jayrob's Laser Boomerang! 3 Way Laser awesomeness

You've done it again! Nice one ;)

I was thinking about putting lasers on both ends like a double bladed lightsaber (Darth Maul), What do you guys think and BTW awesome job Jayrob !

jayrob

Thanks for the props guys...

Glad you like it! :)

I was thinking about putting lasers on both ends like a double bladed lightsaber (Darth Maul), What do you guys think

That would be cool, make them both 7 color white lasers and you can have plenty of color options! :D

jayrob

You may find one, but I don't know where...

I have bought larger cases like that, but have not seen anything that small before. Search for gun cases, or aluminum cases...

Old thread and all, but new question...

I have a special purpose in mind for a friend who runs stargazing trips professionally, and she would LOVE something like this if it could be made with a green module on one end and a flashlight on the other end. Is that at all possible, jay, to put a green in place of the diode in this thing? Are you still making this kit at all?

jayrob

That would be sweet...

And the host is already 'case positive'.

But unfortunately the way the switch is set up, there is not room in the tail end for a green module...

It might make a nice low powered 445 set up though! :cool: Edit: Changed it! 532mA's / 370mW's - 445 with AixiZ 405 glass...

By the way, the host is excellent quality. The inner retaining rings and so forth. The only thing I did not like was the plastic flashlight lens, but it pops out easily, and I put a glass lens in there... :)

There was not enough interest in this kit, so I never stocked the host, but I can make the heatsinks if anybody wanted to just buy the host and follow my tutorial...

Last edited: